New NCAA Kickoff Rule Approved..

If you don't run back a kick outside of the end zone your ST is an absolute liability. I sure hope we won't be taking "advantage" of this rule.

If you don't run back a kick outside of the end zone your ST is an absolute liability. I sure hope we won't be taking "advantage" of this rule.

I think if the receiving team player catches the ball outside of the end zone........he should be allowed to throw a forward pass to one of his teammates up-field...😁

Reactions: 4 people
the article also mentioned these changes all of which are more significant imo

“The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.”
“The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.” An example of the enforcement of this rule occurred in an NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions last season. The Lions were originally ruled to have scored a touchdown with just a few seconds remaining, but replay showed the player was down before crossing the goal line. After overturning the call, the 10-second runoff ended the game.
“Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.”
“On successful field goals, penalty enforcement will be the same as on made extra points. Namely, all personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by the defending team will have the option to be enforced on the ensuing kickoff.”

Reactions: 5 people
the article also mentioned these changes all of which are more significant imo

“The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.”
“The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.” An example of the enforcement of this rule occurred in an NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions last season. The Lions were originally ruled to have scored a touchdown with just a few seconds remaining, but replay showed the player was down before crossing the goal line. After overturning the call, the 10-second runoff ended the game.
“Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.”
“On successful field goals, penalty enforcement will be the same as on made extra points. Namely, all personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by the defending team will have the option to be enforced on the ensuing kickoff.”

Thanks. Good stuff.

The rules on blocking below the waist or tackling in a certain zone to avoid targeting, shoot id be for a spotting the ball rather than returns. Especially with our injury history.

Reactions: 1 person
We most definitely do not need that.

Current defensive kickoff strategies often entail kicking to one side of the field, thereby taking away one half of the field and limiting return capabilities. It would be interesting to see what statistics say the average return yards are if received inside the 5 or 10 yard line, outside the hash marks.

Current defensive kickoff strategies often entail kicking to one side of the field, thereby taking away one half of the field and limiting return capabilities. It would be interesting to see what statistics say the average return yards are if received inside the 5 or 10 yard line, outside the hash marks.

I assume the average goes way down deep and outside the numbers vs anything caught between the hashmarks.

Could you not already fair catch kicks? Or does this mean you can fair catch at the 5 and it give you the ball at the 25? What good does this do at all???

Reactions: 1 person
I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

Reactions: 9 people
I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

Come again?

Reactions: 6 people
One strategy might be for kickers to sky the kickoff to between the 10 and 20 in hopes of the returner calling for fair catch and muffing similar to punts.

Could you not already fair catch kicks? Or does this mean you can fair catch at the 5 and it give you the ball at the 25? What good does this do at all???

It cuts down on the number of returns which are the plays with the most injuries. Rather than new rules, I don't see why they don't just eliminate kickoffs.

Reactions: 4 people
Or get Gaurantano back there to throw a 50 yard bomb...:rock::)

I'm not sold on Guarantano. Just don't think he is our answer. Seems like McBride is getting more attention during game situations.

I honestly would like to see if Shrout develops enough to start but I do believe the job will go to Christ.

Liberalism ruining everything, even our college football.

What happens when a player muffs the fair catch? Say the player muffs the catch at the 5 yard line, then hops on it and recovers it. Is the ball spotted where it’s recovered or does the receiving team still get to spot the ball at the 25?

Regardless, further wussification of America.

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back