Interesting info on the BOT

Volsfaninva917

Lawmakers See Conspiracy In UT Board Alterations - Memphis Daily News

“I think the timing is all too clear and prescient,” says Rep. Andy Holt, a Dresden Republican, who says a governor’s representative told him all the appointments were lined up already.

“Whether the governor is planning on running for (UT) president or not, he has someone very close to him that will be trying to take that position. He’s engineered and manufactured this whole process to be a benefit to him and to his family.”

UT Board of Trustees Appointees Go Awry - Memphis Daily News

Five of the governor’s 10 appointees to a revamped University of Tennessee board of trustees failed to make the cut Thursday, April 12, before the Senate Education Committee, with one, current member Raja Jubran, bowing out before hearings started this week.

Things aren't going Bill's and little Jimmy's way, Thank God

Reactions: 38 people
Exposing it is one thing, preventing it is another. Haslams win and the war of roses begins,,,,,not good

Reactions: 2 people
Half of the board members he proposed were shot down, he's not winning.

I don't know, man.

If half your nominees make it on the first round (they did), you're 5 of 10.

If half your second-round nominees make it, you're up to 7 or 8 out of 10.

So in just two rounds of effort, you have the votes needed to pass anything that doesn't require unanimity.

He might be winning.

Reactions: 4 people
It makes you wonder why they voted for it in the first place.

Maybe the idea of a streamlined BOT in itself isn’t a bad idea. Legislature guns down the agenda behind it and it’s positively brilliant. If Haslam had recused himself from making the appointments, then the opposition would have been unnecessary.

Reactions: 2 people
The rejected nominees were probably all part of the master plan. Nominate 4-5 members from the current board (which they may or may not like) with the understanding they will get shot down as being "retreads". This gives them the cover that they were trying to keep some of the board before they were "forced" to replace the whole board with their cronies. :shhh:

Now where did I put my foil hat? :blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Can UT afford for the Haslam family to disappear...??????

UT? Or the UTAD? The University as a whole will be fine. Clearly their money hasn't made a huge difference over the last decade because just look at the results all that money has gotten us. Their meddling has been disastrous as far as leadership and administration of the AD. Personally I don't think the cash is worth dealing with all the BS.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe the idea of a streamlined BOT in itself isn’t a bad idea. Legislature guns down the agenda behind it and it’s positively brilliant. If Haslam had recused himself from making the appointments, then the opposition would have been unnecessary.

This is a great post. The truth is that our BOT was not functioning correctly as correctly stated in the posted link. The list of issues is too much to post and this revamping thing has been discussed for the last 3 years I know of personally. If the Board members are vetted correctly and are "world class" (boy I am skeptical) then we will be so much the better. Not knowing the minutia of the law can a future Governor replace BOT members or is there some sort of term or is it SCOTUS rules?

Reactions: 4 people
Can UT afford for the Haslam family to disappear...??????

The more pertinent question is, "Can UT afford for the Haslam family NOT to disappear...?????"

If we're ever going to move from the vicious cycle created when we hire the Mike Hamilton's, the Derek Dooley's, the Dave Hart's, the Butch Jones', the John Curry's, and the Greg Schiano's of this world; then I think we all know the answer.

Reactions: 8 people
when you spend $millions of your own money for a $200,000 a yr. job something is up

Most politicians, including Haslam, spend other people's money. Even if BH spent a couple million to be governor, it's like most of us spending $10-20k.

I am concerned with one of those listed as not making the cut. Sharon Pryse is an innovative woman of sound judgement. She inherited the department of Athletic Funding when there was less than a million dollars in the account. We were leaking money like a screened canteen. She has managed the accounts and the programs to having a surplus. The debt in 2012 was $189 million. In accomplishing this, I am sure she dipped into the Haslams' financial largess, but she did her job well.

Reactions: 1 person
"Several important syntactic patterns appear repeatedly throughout Bill&Jimmy's works. In many places, the dialectical process is driven by a syntactic necessity that is really a kind of exhaustion" ;)

VN Store

Back