Shifting Focus from the One

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
...to the Team.

Coach Pruitt's refusal to venerate a player, any player, or to focus attention on anyone in particular, is compelling.

Sometimes, as many as three-quarters of all questions asked of the head coach in a post-game or off-season press conference can be about individual players. Jeremy's having none of that.

It's as if he's saying, shouting it even, without saying it out loud: we're not going to focus on the individual. I'm not going to spend time telling you about individual players. We're going to talk about football, and football is a team sport. So let's talk about team.

I don't know if this has struck anyone else as strongly as it has me. Am I reading more into it than is there?

Reactions: 16 people
Too many uses of the word "individual" in your post. That word can follow you know who to Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Too many uses of the word "individual" in your post. That word can follow you know who to Tuscaloosa.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]

He's gone, man, you can release the ties that bind certain words to his memory. They're just words again. :good!:

Reactions: 6 people
...to the Team.

Coach Pruitt's refusal to venerate a player, any player, or to focus attention on anyone in particular, is compelling.

Sometimes, as many as three-quarters of all questions asked of the head coach in a post-game or off-season press conference can be about individual players. Jeremy's having none of that.

It's as if he's saying, shouting it even, without saying it out loud: we're not going to focus on the individual. I'm not going to spend time telling you about individual players. We're going to talk about football, and football is a team sport. So let's talk about team.

I don't know if this has struck anyone else as strongly as it has me. Am I reading more into it than is there?
maybe a little, but not much. i think the tone he's trying to set definitely matches your basic premise.

it is noticeable, yes. and it is refreshing to not have to hear/read about an "individual". cause you're right, and so is CJP, it's not an "individual" sport.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 3 people
...to the Team.

No, I think you're right. A lot of people seem to be making comparisons and drawing questionable conclusions about our new coach. But I think this is a legit observation on your part. This is a real departure from the approach of the previous staff.

It's hard for people to be critical if you don't give them anything. He's tempering expectations. Pretty savvy.

Reactions: 1 person
...to the Team.

No Prima Donnas . :clapping:

Maybe something to it,I don't really know.
I just think it's his way of talking and dealing with the media. Some like Holtz used to bad mouth his team,Bobby Bowden used his "dadgummit"and "aw shucks" routine.
We all know Butch used slogans and Dooley used comedy and WWII.
I never have put too much stock in what coaches say,,,,but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe something to it,I don't really know.
I just think it's his way of talking and dealing with the media. Some like Holtz used to bad mouth his team,Bobby Bowden used his "dadgummit"and "aw shucks" routine".
We all know Butch used slogans and Dooley used comedy and WWII.
I never have put too much stock in what coaches say,,,,but I could be wrong.

i think the thing that stands out is that you never got the feeling that what Butch said in public, matched what he was probably saying behind closed doors.

i don't get that feeling with CJP and co.

i think the thing that stands out is that you never got the feeling that what Butch said in public, matched what he was probably saying behind closed doors.

This is true,all coaches usually tell something different to the media than they do the players.
Just some do it the right way and some don't. We will never know exactly what they say to the players but as long as it works I'm good.

I do. He ain't Butch of course. But, like all coaches, they use coach speak (deception) when dealing with the manipulative media.

Just the other day Pruitt said "we don't know anything about what kind of players we have until they get on the practice field ...". Then just a day or two ago he says "We really need Chance Hall".

Well, you can't have both. Either you know "something" or you don't. If you know nothing, then "how could you know Chance Hall was needed". If you DO know how good Chance is, then you really DO know how good some of your players are.

I could go on. The point is, they ALL use coach speak to try and control / limit the narrative falsely created by media type looking to make a $$$ by saying most anything to get clicks.

I do. He ain't Butch of course. But, like all coaches, they use coach speak (deception) when dealing with the manipulative media.

Just the other day Pruitt said "we don't know anything about what kind of players we have until they get on the practice field ...". Then just a day or two ago he says "We really need Chance Hall".

Well, you can't have both. Either you know "something" or you don't. If you know nothing, then "how could you know Chance Hall was needed". If you DO know how good Chance is, then you really DO know how good some of your players are.

I could go on. The point is, they ALL use coach speak to try and control / limit the narrative falsely created by media type looking to make a $$$ by saying most anything to get clicks.

ok, maybe better said, i don't think Pruitt goes in to his media sessions with the same intent CBJ did.

i do agree, they all have some form of coach speak...

JP you are definitely on to something. I have noticed this too, and I think it says a lot about how he is working to bring about a positive team chemistry which was sorely lacking under the previous administration. He is too consistent in how he deflects most all questions that beg for him to mention players by name, for it to be coincidental.

When you don’t have enough OL you need and will take anyone. He was responding to a question about a offensive lineman that vowed to return, CH. So he doesn’t have to know anything about CH except that he is an offensive lineman.

I do believe he has seen video on everyone.

Last edited:

Because it takes a genius to figure out we need competent offensive linemen? Regardless of current talent level, there are never enough OL in this league.

VN Store

Back