Phil, Don't Fulmer It

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Love ya, Phil, but Fulmer don’t do it.
Stay out of the way of Coach Pruitt.
Don’t give in to some overt or covert mob.
Please stay out and let the man do his job.

Don’t stand behind him whispering, looking over his shoulder.
You’ll just make him have doubts and second thoughts of being bolder;
In his game planning, adjustments, and playcalling on the field.
Becoming timid for fear of being perceived as a heel.

So I plead with you in desperation and even tears;
Let Jeremy Pruitt simply be who and what he is.
The SECCountry talking of Pruitt leaning on you.
Gene Stalling Tide talk is the opposite of what you should do.

In the words of an old Florida ball coach;
Who too often made our dear Vols yell “Ouch!”
When you got two quarterbacks, you got no quarterback.
Having two head coaches leads to the same type of lack.

–WoodsmanVol--

Reactions: 13 people
Yes Phil, please keep your opinions about football to yourself, you obviously know nothing. Just let our 6th choice coordinator who’s never been a head coach before do the job he’s never done before. He obviously doesn’t need you. Smh

Reactions: 36 people
The quote above from WoodsmanVol is not Spurrier's. I doubt he ever said it. Remember this is the guy who famously used two (2) QB's during 1998 for the entire season.

The actual quote has been around for a long time and has been attributed to several coaches, including Neyland. It goes something like this:

"If there are two (2) players of equal ability at one position, and neither clearly rises above the other, that position is in trouble."

Reactions: 1 person
Yes Phil, please keep your opinions about football to yourself, you obviously know nothing. Just let our 6th choice coordinator who’s never been a head coach before do the job he’s never done before. He obviously doesn’t need you. Smh

I understand, sir. I also understand you can over-ingredient a recipe. It's more than possible as I learned when I over-spiced a capon. As a result, I along with my guests also had a few choice words about the resulting flavor. Of course, if the visiting Spanish woman hadn't insisted on supervising my preparation methods, it probably would have turned out better. Too many cooks in the kitchen thing, you know.

And I still don't like Gene Stalling's advice regarding the Pruitt-Fulmer thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If JP is the man he will make his own decisions. He knows If he fails he gets fired no matter where the advice came from.

It's a very real controversy that already exists, even if most UT fans are willing to overlook it. Phil is meddling in Pruitt's business right now. If this continues, it will be to the detriment of the football program. Whether or not Pruitt is the right man for the job, whether or not he's ready to be thrown into the fire, he has to be allowed to run his own program. Anything else is a recipe for disaster.

I hate to say it, but we're flirting with that disaster right now.

Reactions: 7 people
Love ya, Phil, but Fulmer don’t do it.
Stay out of the way of Coach Pruitt.
Don’t give in to some overt or covert mob.
Please stay out and let the man do his job.

Don’t stand behind him whispering, looking over his shoulder.
You’ll just make him have doubts and second thoughts of being bolder;
In his game planning, adjustments, and playcalling on the field.
Becoming timid for fear of being perceived as a heel.

So I plead with you in desperation and even tears;
Let Jeremy Pruitt simply be who and what he is.
The SECCountry talking of Pruitt leaning on you.
Gene Stalling Tide talk is the opposite of what you should do.

In the words of an old Florida ball coach;
Who too often made our dear Vols yell “Ouch!”
When you got two quarterbacks, you got no quarterback.
Having two head coaches leads to the same type of lack
–WoodsmanVol--
I don’t think Fulmer is doing anything that he knows not to do. This comment or article is so stupid, and it shows. Yes, I think Phil has been out there with them a couple of times, but not in the way. For he has said, I’m going to let him do the work, but if he needs me, then he knows where to find me. His office is right down the hall from Pruitt’s. I’m sure they talk every other day about football, and the help he needs. I even bet Fulmer gives him what he needs. There is no doubt about it, because they do work together. This is ridiculous.:thud::blink:

Reactions: 8 people
I understand. You're not crazy about having Fulmer back in the fold but neither are you crazy about the last 10 years or so. It's a dilemma.....

Gene Stallings gave some Crimson Tide advice I didn't like. In my own weird and crazy way, I said and told why. And you guys want to gang up on me and beat me up? Why, why you, why you punks! I'm a-gonna. . .I'm a-gonna tell my Vol-mommy on you! Whoever the heck she is. :)

People get stupider on here every day. The hate for old Phil never goes away. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It's a very real controversy that already exists, even if most UT fans are willing to overlook it. Phil is meddling in Pruitt's business right now. If this continues, it will be to the detriment of the football program. Whether or not Pruitt is the right man for the job, whether or not he's ready to be thrown into the fire, he has to be allowed to run his own program. Anything else is a recipe for disaster.

Please provide examples to justify your comments as I haven't seen anything yet that would alarm me. Granted, I haven't been paying close attention lately but certainly nothing has caught my attention.

Reactions: 3 people

Uhh, how the hell is meddling? What’s old Phil doing that’s gumming up the works for Pruitt at the moment. Please provide specifics as they’d be helpful.

(Spoiler alert.....nothing......he’s not doing anything to “meddle”)

Reactions: 6 people
Please provide examples to justify your comments as I haven't seen anything yet that would alarm me. Granted, I haven't been paying close attention lately but certainly nothing has caught my attention.

He has no examples. Probably read John Adams’ piece where he opined that Phil should help coach the OL, something that Phil neither has done nor would do. Dude is still bent about 1992 imo.

I have a prediction I'd be willing to gayrontee.

Pruitt will not fail because of Phil sticking his nose in his bidness.

He has no examples. Probably read John Adams’ piece where he opined that Phil should help coach the OL, something that Phil neither has done nor would do. Dude is still bent about 1992 imo.

I think Mike Griffth brought this up too. I was on another site and this got brought up. I had an "Oh no!" moment. Hey man, it's the offseason, got to have some kind of excitement.

I think Mike Griffth brought this up too. I was on another site and this got brought up. I had an "Oh no!" moment. Hey man, it's the offseason, got to have some kind of excitement.

Mike Griffith? Lol. Well that settles it....Fulmer definitely, absolutely, 100% not meddling.

Mike Griffith? Lol. Well that settles it....Fulmer definitely, absolutely, 100% not meddling.

griff is probably doing more meddling than Fulmer at this point in time. busy trying to find a pail for someone over there.

Why do people think Fulmer's level of engagement would be higher than it was during his last "victory lap" seasons that started the downhill snowball leading the program to its current condition? That was more than ten long years ago.

VN Store

Back