VIDEO

[twitterv]983810824652427265[/twitterv]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqXp1osKXvY[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaHL2qK7JE[/youtube]

VQ Video Highlights: https://player.vimeo.com/video/264140548

WBIR highlights: https://t.co/OxyI0ZuYU4

NOTES

-Tyler Byrd back doing WR drills for #Vols

Greg Emerson, Matthew Butler and Eric Crosby all were working on the offensive line.

The Tyler Byrd at safety experiment is over, he’s back at wide receiver.

LaTrell Bumphus was with the defensive line.

Will have full practice observations up in a little bit.
p.brown

Tyler Byrd from safety to WR
Princeton Fant from RB to ILB
Greg Emerson from DL to OL
Eric Crosby from DL to OL
Matt Butler from DL to OL
LaTrell Bumphus from TE to DL
Alontae Taylor from WR to DB
w.rucker

Chance Hall made an appearance with the guys working over on the side. The senior OL was doing minimal work.

With all the changes, WR Jacquez Jones moved from slot to flanker during routes on air today. Byrd was working at the Y.

The TEs and OTs were working on combo blocks in the run game. First time we’ve seen those two units working together this spring. Brian Niedermeyer was leading the drill, with OL coach Will Friend coaching the OGs.

Deandre Johnson has had a quiet spring thus far but the sophomore OLB received a couple really audible compliments from Chris Rumph during a pass rushing drill.
j.simonton

However, Byrd didn't make much noise in his new position, and his move back to offense shouldn't come as a surprise.

Theo Jackson and Cheyenne Labruzza continue to work at Byrd's old position, while Jacquez Jones was working at an outside receiver spot after practicing in the slot all spring.

Butler was working behind Drew Richmond at left tackle, with Nathan Niehaus shifting over to right tackle, where he was working behind Marcus Tatum.

Emerson and Crosby, two of the biggest bodies on the team, were working with the interior line at guard. Crosby was wearing No. 66 and Emerson donned No. 64. Crosby worked at left guard and Emerson at right guard alongside freshmen Jerome Carvin and Ollie Lane.

Ryan Johnson and K'Rojhn Calbert worked at left guard.

Tight end LaTrell Bumphus, perhaps the biggest player at the position for the Vols, was working with the defensive line in another move that shouldn't come as a surprise. Tennessee's old staff took the two-way in-state star and put him on offense to start out, and he stayed there through the first three weeks of the spring. Now he's getting a look elsewhere.

Bumphus played defensive end in high school, but he's believed to be nearing 280 pounds. entering his second season in the program.

Fant worked with the inside linebackers and wore No. 41 during Tuesday's practice. He did play some linebacker in high school. Fant began his career as a wide receiver and moved to tight end during his freshman season before Tennessee's new staff gave him a look at running back to start the spring.

He was the kind of bigger body the Vols' returning backs didn't possess and used his power to his advantage in team settings, but he's at least temporarily getting a look elsewhere.

Alontae Taylor, who was having a nice spring at wide receiver, was with the defensive backs early in practice and appeared to be working at cornerback, where the Vols currently are turning over every rock in search of quality answers.

The former four-star recruit played mostly quarterback on offense in high school but had been set on playing receiver in college for some time. Taylor played cornerback on defense, though, so the position won't be totally foreign to him. Alabama was one program who was interested in Taylor as a cornerback in college.
p.brown

PHOTOS

Dacx_YHV4AA_aWJ.jpg:large

Dacz6NyW0AE95SK.jpg

Dacz6OIXcAADg-6.jpg

DadMXyCX0AAXbsG.jpg

DadMYcrXkAAmN_C.jpg

DadMZAFXkAAf-Ax.jpg

DadMZgkXkAATfxc.jpg

PRUITT

Jeremy Pruitt: “ After we watched the film with our players, there was a lot of lessons learned. ... The key is finding how to do it right all the time.”

Jeremy Pruitt: "I felt like our players practiced with purpose today.”

“We lacked depth on the OL. Let’s see if they can build a foundation.”

Jeremy Pruitt: "This isn’t going to be a final switch for Alontae Taylor. We are trying to develop depth and competition in the secondary.”

Jeremy Pruitt on multiple players getting reps at new positions today: "If you're going to do that type of stuff, now is the time to do it."

Jeremy Pruitt following Spring Practice No. 10: “We switched a lot of guys to begin with. After we scrimmaged we changed sides of the ball for some. It’s common sense finding guys and getting them work for emergencies down the road.”

Pruitt: I told Alontae, I know you don't know what you're doing, Coach Fair will walk you through every step of the way.

Pruitt: From the scrimmage there was a lot of that, we don't have 11 guys playing winning football.

Pruitt: Considering we swapped a lot of guys around, I felt like our guys improved when it comes to physicality and running to the ball.

Pruitt: For the first time since I've been out there on the field, I had to make sure I was out of the way. I had to back up and move out of the way.

Pruitt on QBs: The biggest thing with both of them (Jarrett Guarantano and Will McBride), they're not going to play perfect. It's about getting on to the next play.

"If you play poorly in the first quarter, is that going to affect how you play the final three quarters?"

Pruitt says both Guarantano and McBride have arm and foot talent, and he says both are smart guys

Pruitt on O&W Game: We're going to format it to where it's exciting, I hope. The last four minutes of each half will be two-minute drills. We want to play, put our players in position to compete.

Pruitt says #Vols will play 1-vs-1 and 2-vs-2 in spring game."We'll have good on good and play it that way."

Pruitt on Darrell Taylor: He's done a good job this spring. He seems willing to learn. He needs to improve how he plays on special teams, I can tell you that. I told him that after the scrimmage.

Jeremy Pruitt following Spring Practice No. 10: “When you lineup on the goal line – heck we may not line up with wide receivers. We want to play how we want to play.”

Pruitt says one reason they practice Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday is so they can lift three days a week because they want and need to get bigger

Pruitt says Quarte Sapp has gained about 15 pounds since the new staff arrived, up from 211 to 226

Pruitt says more position changes could happen next week, based on need.

Jeremy Pruitt: I know I say this a lot, but I used to be a high school coach. If you have to play guys both ways to make sure your best guys are out there with two minutes left and the game on the line, then that’s what you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 41 people
I think the coaches might want to use spring practice to see where all these players fit in the best. We could easily see Emerson move back to DL or Byrd move back to DB.

Reactions: 8 people
I think the coaches might want to use spring practice to see where all these players fit in the best. We could easily see Emerson move back to DL or Byrd move back to DB.

From reports, don't think Byrd will be back on defense unless there is no other options.

Reactions: 3 people
Tyler Byrd = Bust

He is so indispensable on offense that he can’t get on the field. He lasted all of a couple of days at cornerback and just over a week at safety with a great defensive minded coach.

He is a prime example of the unbelievable talent on the UT roster (Top 11) per D4H.

Reactions: 2 people
Tyler Byrd = Bust

He is so indispensable on offense that he can’t get on the field. He lasted all of a couple of days at cornerback and just over a week at safety with a great defensive minded coach.

He is a prime example of the unbelievable talent on the UT roster (Top 11) per D4H.

Easy killer. It ain't over 'till it's over, coach.

Reactions: 5 people
Tyler Byrd = Bust

That's premature...

He may fit into this offense perfectly...

Reactions: 3 people
Looks like the staff is increasing support for the offense. I'm for doing whatever they need to do. Hard to win games without scoring points.

If he thought he had such a promising future at wide receiver, then he wouldn’t have been trying to suddenly change to DB in his junior year.

I don't necessarily disagree in that sense, but he still has two more yrs to prove he's a bust or not...

Relax folks and THINK.

It's early Spring with new coaches working with new players trying to fit the parts of a huge puzzle together.

Right now they're getting lots of film together on all players and some at different positions.

After the O & W game they'll spend many hours going over all the film on all the players and make a final decision on who is best fitted for which position.

Then they'll tell the players, get them the final playbook and they'll have the entire Summer to work on their specific position for this coming season.

Coaches that have never seen players before have lots to learn about them before they know how each player can best fit into their plans and figuring all of that out takes lots of time.

It'll come together soon.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 20 people

VN Store

Back