Kevin Sherrer: 'UT fans are going to love our defense'

I trust these guys way more than Shoop! His promise was garbage. Still need to see some results. GBO!!

I stopped posting in 2013 about the time of the CBJ hire. I had enough.

If we as Vol fans can't enjoy and embrace the new opportunities that are, and will continue to be, brought forward by CJP, we get exactly what we deserve. :yes:

Video included in article.

UT Vols: Kevin Sherrer promises Tennessee fans will love defense

I still wonder if Butch/S&C were behind Shoop being so bad as our DC; especially when he fielded Top 5 Defenses at Vandy and Penn St.

By mid-season we will know as he now serves as Miss St DC.

Reactions: 3 people
I still wonder if Butch/S&C were behind Shoop being so bad as our DC; especially when he fielded Top 5 Defenses at Vandy and Penn St.

Shoop thought he could run base defense and win. As it turns out teams can scheme against any base defense. So to succeed a DC needs to study up and call "defensive plays" to force the issue.

It's just like when Florida came with an all out blitz getting us to throw on 1st and goal from the 6 inch line.

What did we do? Sit back and let them beat us with formations.

Sounds like that won't happen this year.

Reactions: 1 person

Honestly injuries were IMO.. in 2016 the 3 players vols could least afford to lose were Maybin, Kirkland Jr and Sutton, mostly because there was no backups, and bang all 3 gone by end of Sept.. Last year Kirkland b4 season then the OLine not able to sustain more than a 5 play drive kept the D on the field way too much. So Injuries were paramount IMO

Reactions: 4 people
Appreciate the sentiment, like the confidence from Sherrer, that’s all good I suppose. However, very first thought that came to mind was Shoop promising a couple years ago that “nobody will run on this defense”......right before everybody and their brother ran over, around and past his defense for two straight years virtually unimpeded.

Reactions: 6 people
Honestly injuries were IMO.. in 2016 the 3 players vols could least afford to lose were Maybin, Kirkland Jr and Sutton, mostly because there was no backups, and bang all 3 gone by end of Sept.. Last year Kirkland b4 season then the OLine not able to sustain more than a 5 play drive kept the D on the field way too much. So Injuries were paramount IMO

Way more than injuries were the issue imho.

We were run over consistently when we had 8 and 9 starters still on the field. And after that supposed great recruiting, we should’ve had depth to make up for it....we obviously didn’t.

Good and great teams, well coached teams absorb injuries and still play well, still compete....we never did. First example that comes to mind is Alabama last season....they lost a lot of key defensive players, especially at linebacker for a good part of the season and still finished with the #1 defense in the country and a national championship trophy.

There are lots of excuses you can make for Shoop. In Year 1, he dealt with a ton of injuries and was working with a bunch of assistant coaches he didn't hire (and supposedly didn't see eye-to-eye with).

In Year 2, he dealt with a ton of injuries again, but had some new faces on the defensive staff.

Overall, under Shoop, the defensive line underachieved badly and the secondary never learned how to turn around and find the ball.

I believed Shoops line of crap in yr 1. Now, I’m a “ show me” guy.

Frankly I don’t see how anyone could build a good defense with the current roster. At least 2 yrs away. Hope I’m wrong but JMO.

Frankly I don’t see how anyone could build a good defense with the current roster. At least 2 yrs away. Hope I’m wrong but JMO.

We have elite talent at every level on defense with good depth. The only questionable position at the moment is corner and we have a lot of talent battle for those spots.

I am quietly optimistic. The last few coaches have made certain that I am not blindly optimistic. For the first time in quite a while, I feel like we truly have an elite coaching staff. Asking them to take what we have and win with it in year one is asking a lot of even the greatest coaching staffs. I think there will be improvement, but it may not show up entirely in our W and L record.

1st thing I would do is move 3 guys from offense to defense. I'm lost after that. Wait and see what CJP does and then I can tell you what I would do next.

UT made CJP a Vol millionaire so his family never has to worry about money again. Now he can focus on winning championships. He is a football coach. I expect him to figure it out.

I enjoy how it bothers you. Haha.

Doesnt bother me at all bud, just funny. Its funny how we can express something we say, but assume someone else is whaling in something they say, instead of laughing about it. Oh well, such is life

Reactions: 4 people
1st thing I would do is move 3 guys from offense to defense. I'm lost after that. Wait and see what CJP does and then I can tell you what I would do next.

UT made CJP a Vol millionaire so his family never has to worry about money again. Now he can focus on winning championships. He is a football coach. I expect him to figure it out.
You think CJP was worried about money before arriving here? Lol

Reactions: 5 people
You think CJP was worried about money before arriving here? Lol

The more you make the more you spend.

I don't know his budget. I would like to think that he has already put enough aside to not have to worry about bills. Either way he just signed a deal that takes care or his grandkid's grandchildren. That has to be refreshing.

Doesnt bother me at all bud, just funny. Its funny how we can express something we say, but assume someone else is whaling in something they say, instead of laughing about it. Oh well, such is life

Sure thing, Bud.

Agree with KB about Shoops promise no one would run on us, but this isn't the same really. Actually, any defense at all and I'm gonna love it.

Reactions: 2 people
Way more than injuries were the issue imho.

We were run over consistently when we had 8 and 9 starters still on the field. And after that supposed great recruiting, we should’ve had depth to make up for it....we obviously didn’t.

Good and great teams, well coached teams absorb injuries and still play well, still compete....we never did. First example that comes to mind is Alabama last season....they lost a lot of key defensive players, especially at linebacker for a good part of the season and still finished with the #1 defense in the country and a national championship trophy.

Alabama replaced Starters with 4 and 5 star freshmen and Sophs, Tenn replaced their LB with a 5th tear walk-on who couldnt run a 4.9 40 if he was set on fire..

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back