Marcus Spears says Tennessee Vols 'got the right guy for the job' in Jeremy Pruitt

nice to hear good things about your coach, but he also said we'd win the East one time also...:yes:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Keep in mind, the entire gang (Marcus, Booger McFarland, and Greg McElroy) were absolutely positive Butch was the right guy, too, just three short years ago (as were many of us).

Not saying Spears isn't right this time. Really hoping he is. Just don't see a track record of insightful analysis or proven assessment.

Reactions: 8 people
You can tell he has taken a lot of pages from Saban's playbook, just look at the press conferences - what CJP doesn't say speaks volumes. There is no BS or sunshine pumping clichés, it's just football and what he expects as a TEAM, not individuals.

I like it, I like it a lot!!!

GBO

Reactions: 2 people
Spears is saying that because he doesn’t think highly of our program right now (who would?). In his mind and many others, Pruitt is a great fit for a mid to lower level SEC program just hoping to get to a bowl game sometime in the next couple of years. I don’t think he’s being very honest by saying we can win 7 or 8 games this year. He’s patronizing Vol fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I agree with Marcus. The question is whether or not Tennessee fans will be patient enough to allow CJP to be successful.

Spears is saying that because he doesn’t think highly of our program right now (who would?). In his mind and many others, Pruitt is a great fit for a mid to lower level SEC program just hoping to get to a bowl game sometime in the next couple of years. I don’t think he’s being very honest by saying we can win 7 or 8 games this year. He’s patronizing Vol fans.

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter. The truth is - even with our roster deficiencies and staff turnover - if UT hired the right guy, he will win 6+ this year. Then he will win 9+ next year. That's what winners do. Doesn't take them long.

Some will say that's too much pressure or expectation, but honestly if a coach doesn't already have that expectation of himself, then UT hired the wrong coach.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with Marcus. The question is whether or not Tennessee fans will be patient enough to allow CJP to be successful.

Considering the past five years we have nothing to lose by going all in on CJP. He must earn a contract renewal.

Last edited:
Not only Pruitt buy every coach he brought in except for RG is an upgrade imo.
Its going to take 3 years because we have almost zero to build from.
One or 2 good players at OL or DL or DB will not make this a good team.
It all starts with the 19 recruiting...
I mean take our receivers for example...talk about soft...We may have 2 who can carry us through the year without being out most of the time...
Look at Memphis State last year..now those receivers looked and played the part and it was a pass almost every other play....we have to have players who have endurance

Booger McFarland said “I think Tennessee will be abysmal.” last year.

Here is the link.
Booger McFarland: “I think Tennessee will be abysmal.” - Rocky Top Talk

You right, my b. I looked at a few articles and he wasn’t driving the Butch bandwagon, but he didn’t go out on a limb like Booger. Kind of stayed in neutral territory or stated the obvious. Things like that it’s harder than people think to hire a quality coach, it’s tough to win in the SEC blah blah blah.

Marcus Spears says 'unfair' expectations lead to criticism of Tennessee Vols' Butch Jones

Last edited:
For the first time in nine seasons we have a coach who understands fundamentals and has put together a great support staff.

CJP reminds me a bit of my coach in my last year of Pop Warner ball when I was 15. Hard ass, tough as nails and no nonsense, day job as a state policeman. His stare would melt glass. Sometimes I didn't like him, but I also went out of my way to not disappoint him, and he prepared me well for high school ball. Yeah, I know, Pop Warner ain't the SEC. But I'm seeing enough out of him so far to give the guy a shot, at least. If nothing else, I believe football will come first this year.

Nobody except a few backwoods fans with little football knowledge think Pruitt is a great fit just for mid to lower tier SEC schools. Nobody had an issue hiring Fulmer as our HC and his resume wasn't even on the same planet as JP's was. I can assure you outside of those Vol fans who are complaining about the hire only because he is an Ala Alum, have said he was a very good hire at TN. He had a better resume than Kirby, who got the Ga job, better resume than Dabo who got the Clemson job. He had a better resume than Tom Herman and Clay Helton, who got the Texas and USC job's.W e will get to a bowl game in yr one, 7-8 wins is very doable and no reason it shouldn't happen.He has no reason to patronize anybody. Spears has always spoken highly of the TN job, but not of Butch. He's the one guy Paul has on regularly that I actually respect and knows what he's talking about. You cannot tell me that 7-8 wins aren't possible out of our 4 non conf games, Vandy,UK,Flor,Mizzou and S.Ce..We were 3 plays away from 7 wins with almost the exact same roster and schedule. But under the worst coaching staff at TN that we've had in my 28+ yrs of watching Vol football. It's not like him or anyone else is saying we win the East or 10 games. There's no great non conference team on our schedule like OU, Oregon or other Top 5-10 teams we played. It's a middle tier Big 12 team who went 7-6 last yr. They had 2 wins vs teams with a winning record in a Big 12 Conf that finished with only 3 teams ranked. Ala,Ga and Auburn are the only 3 great SEC teams and overall teams on our schedule.Auburn only is because of their Defense,because their offense is pretty bad.Mizzou finished 7-6 and didn't beat a single bowl eligible team. UK finished 7-6 and will probably not even get to 6 wins with losing their #1 QB and best receiver to graduation. Vandy is still gonna suck and Ralph Webb is gone, plus Pruitt will not lose to a team like that, SCe comes down to the wire every year and will be a 7-9 win team again. FLor is in the exact same position we are, with the unknowns at QB and starting over with new schemes.We get them at home and will be JP's first chance to get a W against one of our biggest rivals. It's not like our schedule is full of great top 10-15 teams. Outside of Ala, Ga and Auburn, there are no great, unbeatable top tier teams on our schedule. Out of the other 9 teams we play and based on average recruiting rankings over the last 5 yrs, TN ranks higher than them all. Now we have the coaching to go along with it. This is an elite coaching staff with well respected Coach's with great reputations. Throw in the Offensive Analyst's and others with this Staff, and we have the top 3-5 staff in the country. What we see on the field this year, from Coaching and players will be night and day from what we saw saw under Dooley and Butch. Especially under Butch. There will be games we just got out talented this yr and it happens. But getting our a$$ kicked by less talented team's ( UK, Mizzou,Vandy,Sce,etc) every year like we saw under Butch will become a rarity.

For the life of me I don't understand some Vol fans not getting behind the hire a VFL legend made. That mentality makes no sense at all. I may could understand it if Dave Hart had hired some Ala alum's but it was our VFL AD. I guarantee you if he didn't think JP could get us back, then he wouldn't have hired him. As bad as he hates Ala and all the time he spent trying to ruin them should tell everyone what they need to know about the hire. He. Wants TN Football back as much as any of us and would love to have been the AD that hired the man who did it. The simple minded fans, who constantly whine about hiring an Ala Alum need to trust Fulmer and give JP a chance. He's going to do great things here. That's why Spears said what he said, not to patronize fans or anything else.

The games have to be played and won on the field, but those reasons are why I and a few others , including Spears have been saying 7-8 is very possible. The fans saying 3,4 or 5 wins are the same ones 8itching because we hired a Bammer Alum. If CPF, who we all know bleeds O&W had no issues making the hire then nobody else should either. JMO.

Reactions: 20 people
For the first time in nine seasons we have a coach who understands fundamentals and has put together a great support staff.

Agreed! He knows what it takes to win in this conference and it starts with the guys you surround yourself with and recruiting. Our staff is elite and top 3-5 in college football. The best staff ever put together here, even better than Kiffin's.

I would love to win 8 games. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
Like all the other "Vol Addicts" on here, the suffering has been too long.
After all the injuries and losses and excuses and cliches, I'm crossing my fingers and praying for some good luck and a few breaks to go our way.
A competitive defense that tackles and forces turnovers...too much to ask?
An offense that can sustain drives.....please God!
I'm hopeful

VN Store

Back