Say We Beat ETSU (2-0)...

...well, obviously.

Say We Beat UTEP (3-0)...

...ditto.

Say We Beat Florida (4-0)...

...in a close game: "Thank heavens for Neyland Stadium advantage."
...in a blowout: "Jeremy Pruitt is the Answer."

Say We Bea...nah.

I can't in good faith take this thought experiment any further. The chance of our rebuilding program being 4-0 at this point AND beating Georgia is too low. To have one or the other happen is not beyond the pale; but to have both happen is incredibly unlikely.

So my first big wish for the 2018 Vols is to find a way to sneak a march on West Virginia and then show Florida that we are recovering faster and better than they are. An unlikely, but not impossible combination of outcomes.

We can deal with the rest of the season after we see how the first third goes.

Reactions: 8 people
If we beat Florida in any way shape or form it wont be because of the "Neyland Stadium Advantage".

It'll be because we have a football coach for once getting the most out of his players with everyone buying in.

Also if we start 4 and 0 I'm going streaking.

Reactions: 15 people
Say We Beat West Virginia (1-0)...

...in a high-scoring game: "Thank goodness we have an offense!"
...in a low-scoring game: "This is CJP's wheelhouse, dominating D."

Say We Beat ETSU (2-0)...

...well, obviously.

Say We Beat UTEP (3-0)...

...ditto.

Say We Beat Florida (4-0)...

...in a close game: "Thank heavens for Neyland Stadium advantage."
...in a blowout: "Jeremy Pruitt is the Answer."

Say We Bea...nah.

I can't in good faith take this thought experiment any further. The chance of our rebuilding program being 4-0 at this point AND beating Georgia is too low. To have one or the other happen is not beyond the pale; but to have both happen is incredibly unlikely.

So my first big wish for the 2018 Vols is to find a way to sneak a march on West Virginia and then show Florida that we are recovering faster and better than they are. An unlikely, but not impossible combination of outcomes.

We can deal with the rest of the season after we see how the first third goes.
i'm like you on the front end of this schedule. it's not impossible. just probably not very likely.

i actually think we may have a better shot at beating FL than WVU.

either way, i do think coming out of those 1st 4 games 3-1 would be huge. 2-2, and we probably sweat the back half of the schedule....games against UK, MO, Vandy and USCe all the sudden don't feel as winnable.

given Pruitt's comments on the body language/mental state of the program right now, i think it's real important to get off to as good a start as absolutely possible.

3-1 would be that. 4-0 would be, well, awesome.

Reactions: 5 people
If we beat Florida in any way shape or form it wont be because of the "Neyland Stadium Advantage".

It'll be because we have a football coach for once getting the most out of his players with everyone buying in.

I agree with you, in part.

It won't JUST be because of the home-field advantage. And it won't be just the coaches. Or just the players. Or just the weather. Or just the way the refs called the game.

It will be all those things.

But I've come to know a bit about the VolNation.com crowd over the past few years...and, to this crowd, Neyland will be an oft-mentioned contributor, if the game is close. It's just human nature, to believe you helped make a difference and to want recognition for your small part.

So yeah, I think that will be a not-uncommon reaction under those conditions.

Reactions: 4 people
i'm like you on the front end of this schedule. it's not impossible. just probably not very likely.

i actually think we may have a better shot at beating FL than WVU.

either way, i do think coming out of those 1st 4 games 3-1 would be huge. 2-2, and we probably sweat the back half of the schedule....games against UK, MO, Vandy and USCe all the sudden don't feel as winnable.

given Pruitt's comments on the body language/mental state of the program right now, i think it's real important to get off to as good a start as absolutely possible.

3-1 would be that. 4-0 would be, well, awesome.

Yeah, exactly. Every point you make is dead-on, I think.

I like the thinking JP. If we somehow get off to that 4-0 start, knowing that we still have Charlotte later on in the season, leads one to believe 6, possibly even 7 wins is possible. Just gotta find a way to get 1 more win outta Kentucky, Missouri or Vandy. Surely we can get one out of those 3.

I’ll also throw this out. We go to Auburn after our BYE week while Auburn plays their 7th straight game.....could that be a possible upset, assuming Auburn isn’t quite as good as last year and Pruitt has this team improving week to week?

I think I know this though....if we’re gonna get to 6-7 wins, a quick start is very likely imperative.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the thinking JP. If we somehow get off to that 4-0 start, knowing that we still have Charlotte later on in the season, leads one to believe 6, possibly even 7 wins is possible. Just gotta find a way to get 1 more win outta Kentucky, Missouri or Vandy. Surely we can get one out of those 3.

I’ll also throw this out. We go to Auburn after our BYE week while Auburn plays their 7th straight game.....could that be a possible upset, assuming Auburn isn’t quite as good as last year and Pruitt has this team improving week to week?

I think I know this though....if we’re gonna get to 6-7 wins, a quick start is very likely imperative.

So many good questions in your response, KB.

This is going to be an interesting season, even if some parts might be very painful.

Reactions: 1 person

we start 4-0, my expectations change to 8 as the floor.

at that point, it'd be hard to argue that we'd be considered worse than anyone on the schedule besides UGA, Aub and Bama.

long way to go before we get to really have that conversation....but...i'd like to have it one day.....:)

Reactions: 1 person
It has been along time since Neyland was an advantage......thanks Butch

that's not true. it was in 2013 USCe, 2015 UGA, 2016 FL.

it was in 2015 OU as well, just didn't close that one out, same could be said about 2013 UGA.

Reactions: 4 people
It's possible but by no means a foregone conclusion. Large gaps in talent to overcome from last coaching staff.

Their best win last year was 8-5 ISU. Beat Baylor 1-11 by 2. We will beat WVU.

Keep in mind our best win last year was 5-6 Georgia Tech. In overtime. 42-41. Beat UMass (UMass!) by 4. In other words, the Mountaineers' 2017 highlight reel beats our 2017 highlight reel. By a lot.

You're comparing the Tennessee teams of old to last season's W Va. It's much more sobering to compare the Vols of 2017 to them.

NOT saying we can't beat W Va this September. Only that it won't be "easily."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
ESPN's FPI has WVU going 6-6 with a weaker schedule. I'm not saying UT beats anybody after the last couple years, but fearing WVU doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: 3 people
Their best win last year was 8-5 ISU. Beat Baylor 1-11 by 2. We will beat WVU.

Maybe I’m an idiot, but you’d think there are ways to easily beat a team like WVU.

On defense, blitz the frick out of them, play press and hit their receivers every time they catch it.

On offense, play ball control and run it behind #73 (if he’s back🙏🙏🙏). This’ll keep their offense on the field and defense will wear down. Their run defense is trash so we’re probably gonna have success on the ground.

But.......

On the other hand, I might be severely overestimating our rosters ability to actually execute a game plan like that.

VN Store

Back