Remember Bryce Brown?

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Reactions: 3 people
He was one of the most full-of-himself recruits that ever came through the door. And that's saying something, because on average the really highly recruited guys are pretty full of themselves.

Reactions: 6 people
He was one of the most full-of-himself recruits that ever came through the door. And that's saying something, because on average the really highly recruited guys are pretty full of themselves.

Pretty sure I heard the opposite when he was here. His dad though...

Reactions: 2 people

The worst over hyped nothing was Nukeese... Flat out sucked

Reactions: 3 people
What rock have you been living under?

Mostly the US Army / deployed rock. :)

I missed the 85 Sugar Vols because I was stationed in Germany...back in the day when there were only 2 or 3 college football games on TV each Saturday, almost never the Vols, and that didn't even really help because the Armed Forces Network (the only English-language or US-focused TV available) didn't carry all those, anyway. Maybe one or two. Never the Vols, that I can recall, in the three years I was stationed there.

And then later, deployments to Honduras, Haiti, and of course the Middle East and Asia would have more American TV available thanks to better technology, but less free time to watch anything because higher operational pace / war.

Even when stationed in the States, the pace could be so hectic that we'd miss a lot of football weekends. For the life of me, I don't remember anything of the 2001 season, even though I was right there at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. We were all spun up with the 9/11 aftermath and getting ready for things to come, working through a lot of weekends and so on.

So yeah, sorry, I missed some things. This youtube clip was the first I ever heard of the Bryce Brown circus. Musta been something to follow, live.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Mostly the US Army / deployed rock. :)

I missed the 85 Sugar Vols because I was stationed in Germany...back in the day when there were only 2 or 3 college football games on TV each Saturday, almost never the Vols, and that didn't even really help because the Armed Forces Network (the only English-language or US-focused TV available) didn't carry all those, anyway. Maybe one or two. Never the Vols, that I can recall, in the three years I was stationed there.

And then later, deployments to Honduras, Haiti, and of course the Middle East and Asia would have more American TV available thanks to better technology, but less free time to watch anything because higher operational pace / war.

Even when stationed in the States, the pace could be so hectic that we'd miss a lot of football weekends. For the life of me, I don't remember anything of the 2001 season, even though I was right there at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. We were all spun up with the 9/11 aftermath and getting ready for things to come, working through a lot of weekends and so on.

So yeah, sorry, I missed some things. This youtube clip was the first I ever heard of the Bryce Brown circus. Musta been something to follow, live.

Where in Europe (Germany) in 85. Best season ever. Made a fortune that year betting on the Vols...

Reactions: 1 person
Where in Europe (Germany) in 85. Best season ever. Made a fortune that year betting on the Vols...

I was in Bamberg, with the 82nd Engineers (Blue Babe!). :)

They say the cost of travelling abroad and learning other cultures is the cost you pay in missing US cultural developments during the same period. The two things I regret most that I missed those years I was in Germany were (1) Vols football, esp. the Sugar Vols season, and (2) understanding where the heck "Where's the beef" came from and what it meant. Haha, it had me confused as heck when I did get home...some Wendy's commercial or something. :)

I was at his first game. He took an awkward hit from one of the Western KY players, from where I sat looked like a helmet to knee or side thigh.

As I remember, when his brother was leaving UM. He wanted on the same team as Bryce so their family and I believe their grandfather could see them play together. I think Dooley would not commit to guarantee his brother playing time. (That is more speculation than fact). So they both went home to Kansas State.

VN Store

Back