Weinke and the running backs

Reactions: 1 person
yeah, i think the one theme i have heard about this staff, from anyone that discusses them, or what they've seen from them, is that they are good teachers of the game of football.

and i get why some folks are a little anxious about him coaching RB's, seemingly out of position for a guy like him, but you take a bigger picture look, and it really starts to make sense from a teaching standpoint.

understanding the blocking schemes, pass protections, route running, and more importantly defensive responsibilities based on particular formations, personnel groupings or other packages, can be huge for RB's.

anyway....it's all warm and fuzzy right now, but in total, all i read and hear is that these coaches "teach the game of football". not just the technical stuff regarding a specific position....you not only get the 'what' and 'how to'.....even more emphasis placed on the 'why'.....

Reactions: 4 people
I really don't care what position they have coached or played, if they can teach the technical aspects of the game to any position group GREAT! Watching videos of this Spring's practices I like the fact that EVERYONE is getting repetitions within each position group - all getting the same coaching and it's about technique and execution.

GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 2 people
yeah, i think the one theme i have heard about this staff, from anyone that discusses them, or what they've seen from them, is that they are good teachers of the game of football.

and i get why some folks are a little anxious about him coaching RB's, seemingly out of position for a guy like him, but you take a bigger picture look, and it really starts to make sense from a teaching standpoint.

understanding the blocking schemes, pass protections, route running, and more importantly defensive responsibilities based on particular formations, personnel groupings or other packages, can be huge for RB's.

anyway....it's all warm and fuzzy right now, but in total, all i read and hear is that these coaches "teach the game of football". not just the technical stuff regarding a specific position....you not only get the 'what' and 'how to'.....even more emphasis placed on the 'why'.....

I think that is well stated. One of the primary reasons you sign any particular RB is for the running skills. Those can be honed. But the vision for running for a top back is innate. Someone like Weinke can round out their game and make them marketable.

I really don't care what position they have coached or played, if they can teach the technical aspects of the game to any position group GREAT! Watching videos of this Spring's practices I like the fact that EVERYONE is getting repetitions within each position group - all getting the same coaching and it's about technique and execution.

GO VOLS!!

Touche. Why only teach the reserves once they become starters. Everyone should be prepared to play at any time. You never know when you might have to go in.

Touche. Why only teach the reserves once they become starters. Everyone should be prepared to play at any time. You never know when you might have to go in.

And with injuries inevitable, the best way to create depth is preparing them to play multiple positions. Who knows? You might find a three star that plays like a five star in one position or the other. But, it also opens up the potential for a player that is deep in that position to play at another position sooner. I think it is a great idea. And it keeps everyone guessing. Heck, there were folks here concerned that TC would be on the sidelines!

GO VOLS!!

Everyone getting reps is huge. I don't know if the last staff practiced it or not, but it is little wonder the reserves performed terribly last year if they didn't get the practice reps.

Injuries were the the biggest cause of last year's disaster, but lack of practice reps by reserves maybe made it worse.

I'm really glad we got Weinke. I just wonder how much he can teach running the ball. I mean I know it's more of a natural talent thing when it comes to running backs and running the ball, but I'd be curious as to his effect on the run game.

I'm really glad we got Weinke. I just wonder how much he can teach running the ball. I mean I know it's more of a natural talent thing when it comes to running backs and running the ball, but I'd be curious as to his effect on the run game.

He doesn’t have to teach how to run the ball to these guys....you’re right, it’s a natural talent thing. Where he’ll be especially valuable is being able to teach protections. Coaching running backs is the easiest position coach, by far.

Reactions: 2 people
Running Backs Coach... 1.) pass protection rules
2.) ball protection
3.) route running
4.) agility & speed drills
5.) get the guys to the stadium

Reactions: 4 people

Guys don’t “learn” how to run the ball. They either can, or they can’t. It’s natural instinct and vision.

And speed. Speed definitely helps.

Reactions: 3 people
Guys don’t “learn” how to run the ball. They either can, or they can’t. It’s natural instinct and vision.

And speed. Speed definitely helps.

I mostly agree, running is primarily vision, power, balance and instinctiveness.

Blocking and pass protection are more learned than instinctive. Enter Weinke!

I agree with the article and I think he has a hand in with our QBs to some degree.

People don't realize that being fundamentally sound in the schemes and being to execute plays with a blind fold go a long way.

It's the reason why Kiffin, Bill Bel, Pruitt (defensively), etc. can go to any team and make an improvement. Kiffin is a great example with the offense. Those players have an agenda and they execute. Doesn't take talent but obviously, the more the better.

You mean like run real fast and avoid tacklers

Considering Jones never was capable of putting a legit SEC O line with a legit O line coach on the field and we still saw Hurd, Kamara, and Kelly have success, running back is the least of my concerns. Chandler showed flashes last season and they brought in some thumpers.

I think Weinke will be a plus in recruiting and can handle teaching the position just fine.

Will Friend will be the one to keep an eye on with regards to making improvements to his squad. Not only dealing with some major attrition, he's gonna have to rebuild the entire mind set of the O line.

He doesn’t have to teach how to run the ball to these guys....you’re right, it’s a natural talent thing. Where he’ll be especially valuable is being able to teach protections. Coaching running backs is the easiest position coach, by far.

Absolutely. Plus with Hardesty being around should help compliment what Weinke does.

VN Store

Back