Pruitt still going with ass't coach mindset?

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
I'm a big fan of Pruitt so far but I have one concern. With all the time he's spending with the defense, esp. the defensive backs, I wonder if he's still stuck in Defensive Coordinator mode. He even mentioned the transition to coaching both sides of the ball is a new one for him. Hoping Coach Fulmer helps him make the transition to HC.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm a big fan of Pruitt so far but I have one concern. With all the time he's spending with the defense, esp. the defensive backs, I wonder if he's still stuck in Defensive Coordinator mode. He even mentioned the transition to coaching both sides of the ball is a new one for him. Hoping Coach Fulmer helps him make the transition to HC.

Any reasonable coach would stay away from that offense

Reactions: 3 people
When you hire coaches that you trust you let them do the job they are hired to do. He spends time with the O during film study.

Reactions: 15 people
I'm sure he'll become more of a head coach once he doesn't have to spell out a new defense concept going from 4-3 to 3-4. Not to mention, just how horrible the defense has been the last 2 seasons. JP will most likely spend the entire summer trying to beat it into the defense in time for fall. This season will be decent but probably not great.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a few concerns about Pruitt never being a head coach.

Him teaching the techniques he knows best, to the group he knows best while allowing his offensive staff to do the same, is not one of them.

Reactions: 16 people
"A 2016 study for the NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence on hybrid warfare notes that the Russian military intervention in Ukraine "demonstrated how fake identities and accounts were used to disseminate narratives through social media, blogs, and web commentaries in order to manipulate, harass, or deceive opponents." You ain't foolin' me "wrestling dude."

Last edited:

Doesn't Saban primarily coach DB's?

Reactions: 10 people
Pants too damn long! Hurts recruiting!

Ha yeah. I am concerned about his decision making in high pressure situations, with the game on the line, simply because he has never done it as a head coach. That skill, among others, separates good coaches from great coaches.

What are your concerns?

Having mostly dealt with recently successful programs instead of rebuild projects. Entirely different selling points.

There is also a crap load of extra off-field distractions with being the HC. Media events, commercial and show obligations, budgeting plans and organization meetings etc.
Some 1st time HC's get frustrated with their attention being pulled from what they're best at and want to be doing; teaching fb techniques.

Pruitt has showed no signs of these being a problem and Fulmer seems to be taking a lot of the extra stress off of him. But you can't be 100% certain until someone has ran the circus.

Ha yeah. I am concerned about his decision making in high pressure situations, with the game on the line, simply because he has never done it as a head coach. That skill, among others, separates good coaches from great coaches.

The National Championship this past January, everyone saw him make great decisions in the most high pressure situation.

He completely stumped UGA the 2nd half.
His recruiting will pickup once he shows his coaching ability by winning close games this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually Pruitt addressed this question in one of his early interviews. He commented on how he grew up with his dad coaching all positions as a HS head coach and that a good head coach can teach any position. So I'd say he understands the issues.

One of the goals of most guys getting into coaching is to be a head coach and that's why you see assistants coaching one position leaving to coach a different position elsewhere until they move up the coaching ladder. HCs have to let their coordinators do their job. They just need to know the job's being done right. That's what has to happen.

Yesterday Eric Ainge was saying how Pruitt and staff were confronted with many of our older players not having "football knowledge" and they're haveing to teach position fundamentals they should have known. So it appears a true rebuilding is indeed going on.

But we shall see.

Last edited:

I know it’s cliche but this will be a process.
He has to grow into his new role and seek out what type of Head Coach/CEO he wants to be.
I think it’s clear he won’t relish the p.r. part of going to pancakes breakfast and schmoozing donors.
He is all about the game and the on field product.

As for him being all about the defense, let him team lose a couple of 3-0 or 7-3 games and I betcha his interest in his offense picks up quickly.

I can see that. But look on the bright side. We have nowhere to go but up in that category.

Wait......WHAT????

VN Store

Back