After coaching search fiasco, Vols have Fulmer, Pruitt and piece of Mike Leach

Good post OP. Didn't realize all of those connections. Pruitt has said and done all the right things so far so I'm impressed and have no complaints..

But I still say the Pirate himself Mike Leach would have done good things here. Hopefully some of that passing game success at Memphis these last few years carries over!

Reactions: 7 people
Good post OP. Didn't realize all of those connections. Pruitt has said and done all the right things so far so I'm impressed and have no complaints..

But I still say the Pirate himself Mike Leach would have done good things here. Hopefully some of that passing game success at Memphis these last few years carries over!

It is interesting that Leach was the guy, in return Fulmer, Pruitt and a Leach system protege are now at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Is the article trying to act like a wr coach from memphis is equal to leach?

I think the staff we got is pretty solid and we should be a good team in a couple years, but i dont think we need to go all crazy trying to convince ourself of stuff.

Reactions: 6 people
Is the article trying to act like a wr coach from memphis is equal to leach?

I think the staff we got is pretty solid and we should be a good team in a couple years, but i dont think we need to go all crazy trying to convince ourself of stuff.

Lol.

New here?

Reactions: 5 people
Offense can be fun to watch, but defense is still the key in SEC football. Seven or eight wins a season for a fun offense and a middling defense gets old, and offensive gurus are known just for their offenses for a reason.

The other fact is that Tennessee has historically done better when hiring or promoting assistant coaches than hiring "proven" coaches. And many "proven" coaches don't do well the second time around - no statistics but it seems like well less than half manage to do as well - perhaps many because they step into more difficult shoes.

Leach had me excited but i think Pruitt and staff will have more success here. Reason why is that they all mostly have SEC and southern bloodlines and understands what it takes to win in the SEC. Time will tell but i feel like getting Pruitt was a blessing in disguise after the coaching search turmoil. The staff Pruitt has brought in is Top 5 in the country IMO.

Reactions: 5 people
Not gonna lie, I was extremely excited when Leach appeared to be coming to Knowville.

He obviously beat the every living hell out of Schiano and Doeren. And I was kinda excited about Leach’s offense and press conferences and that he fact that he would’ve been the anti-Lyle Jones. However, while I was certainly good with his potential hiring, I was no illusions at all that he was gonna come in and win the Sec anytime soon.

Offense can be fun to watch, but defense is still the key in SEC football. Seven or eight wins a season for a fun offense and a middling defense gets old, and offensive gurus are known just for their offenses for a reason.

The other fact is that Tennessee has historically done better when hiring or promoting assistant coaches than hiring "proven" coaches. And many "proven" coaches don't do well the second time around - no statistics but it seems like well less than half manage to do as well - perhaps many because they step into more difficult shoes.

I long for the days of having an offense that could put up record breaking numbers when needed. Example is when both PM and crew put up 600 plus yards against the Kentucky and Hal Mumme & Tim Couch offenses. Both sides put on an air show.

I long for the days of having an offense that could put up record breaking numbers when needed. Example is when both PM and crew put up 600 plus yards against the Kentucky and Hal Mumme & Tim Couch offenses. Both sides put on an air show.

We had Tyler Bray and that record breaking offense. What about that?

I agree you have to have a defense to go with it which we obviously didn't have with TB. Heck, most games in 2012 they put up 30 something points and that still wasn't enough.
My only point was high power offenses are much more fun to watch.

Tennessee was close to having Leach install his air-raid offense this spring. They didn’t land him, but his offensive influence still will be felt.

After coaching search fiasco, Vols have Fulmer, Pruitt and piece of Mike Leach in program

It's always good to stretch the field and force the defenders to make plays in space. I would love our rotation of WRs to have at least 2 go deep each play and wear out those CBs. This also opens up lanes for our running game.

Of course this will put a heavy burden on our OL including TEs.

Not gonna lie, I was extremely excited when Leach appeared to be coming to Knoxville.

And I was extremely conflicted/worried. Love Leach, and was not at all interested in playing against him every year.

Pruitt may end up being a good coach but my gut tells me he’s several rungs down the ladder from where Leach would have been.

Reactions: 4 people
And I was extremely conflicted/worried. Love Leach, and was not at all interested in playing against him every year.

Pruitt may end up being a good coach but my gut tells me he’s several rungs down the ladder from where Leach would have been.

If Mike Leach was indeed considered to be a program builder he would have been hired by someone this year.

Pruitt and staff look very promising considering their experience up to this point. Let us all hope he can do all the intangibles to be a great head coach.

Reactions: 3 people
If Mike Leach was indeed considered to be a program builder he would have been hired by someone this year.

Pruitt and staff look very promising considering their experience up to this point. Let us all hope he can do all the intangibles to be a great head coach.

I think Leach has probably been offered various jobs over the years but not necessarily by a big time SEC school. He would have jumped all over UT in my opinion. Huge personality, super likable, funny as hell, oh, and one helluva offensive coach. That personality and quirkiness is why some may steer away. But I think he would have been a huge hit at UT and in the buttoned-down SEC.

Pruitt has plenty of elite coordinator experience but the jury is still out as far as his head coaching prowess. Total unknown at this point. Leach is a known product.

I think Leach has probably been offered various jobs over the years but not necessarily by a big time SEC school. He would have jumped all over UT in my opinion. Huge personality, super likable, funny as hell, oh, and one helluva offensive coach. That personality and quirkiness is why some may steer away. But I think he would have been a huge hit at UT and in the buttoned-down SEC.

Pruitt has plenty of elite coordinator experience but the jury is still out as far as his head coaching prowess. Total unknown at this point. Leach is a known product.

Leach would not succeed in the SEC! Pruitt, on paper, with his experience at the CHAMPIONSHIP level, makes him a much better fit for the SEC! Fulmer knows what he is doing and you gators will find out soon enough! lol

Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!! Leach has not even smelled a NATY!
:hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think Pruitt will do decent, but I’m still a bit disappointed about missing on Leach when we had him. I like Pruitt’s staff though, and I think his personality fits well here.

Reactions: 2 people

The book goes in detail about how Johnson brings the fundamentals of developing wide receivers. This offense won't be pass happy. Read about his fundamentals in Fulmer Hires Pruitt.

VN Store

Back