UT is 11th

secking

TN sits at #11 is the past 4 classes according to 247. Each school has some attrition but this proves Pruitt has a base to work with. I believe the OL is key this year. Friend is widely respected as a good coach.

8767009041e5d3d807e03457cebc17bd.png

Reactions: 7 people
I honestly believe we have the players to pretty good. Now we have a coach to put them in the correct place to have success things will get better soon.

Reactions: 1 person
Question is 1. do they fit the system he is implementing and 2. FAR more important, will they buy in and give the commitment it seems like he is asking from them?

Reactions: 6 people
I honestly believe we have the players to pretty good. Now we have a coach to put them in the correct place to have success things will get better soon.

Pruitt is inheriting a much better situation/roster than our previous two coaches inherited. This is more like a remodel than a rebuild.

Reactions: 9 people
TN sits at #11 is the past 4 classes according to 247. Each school has some attrition but this proves Pruitt has a base to work with. I believe the OL is key this year. Friend is widely respected as a good coach.

8767009041e5d3d807e03457cebc17bd.png

Is there an extended list. The 4 games I count as toss ups are all tanked higher than us. If like to see how the other 8 compare. I expect CJP&S to figure out a way to win them all, but blowing leads and games is not how to keep your job at UT. Sometimes it is how and to who you lose to.

I would like to see an adjust # for attrition. That was Butch's other middle name.

Question is 1. do they fit the system he is implementing and 2. FAR more important, will they buy in and give the commitment it seems like he is asking from them?

It's his job to adjust his system to win anyways.

There is a certain amount of players that CJP said are "hungry". That's why he is "starting to like", this team. At least those guys.

Is there an extended list. The 4 games I count as toss ups are all tanked higher than us. If like to see how the other 8 compare. I expect CJP&S to figure out a way to win them all, but blowing leads and games is not how to keep your job at UT. Sometimes it is how and to who you lose to.

I would like to see an adjust # for attrition. That was Butch's other middle name.

UT is 12th. This was last year and this will not be updated until beginning of the season. That makes sense as more attrition for all teams between now and then as teams get down to 85. :hi:

2017 College Football Team Talent Composite

The cupboard isn't bare.. by any stretch. Our secondary and WRs particularly have more talent than anybody realizes. The OLine overall, the DLine Depth and inexperience at QB.. is why expectations should be tempered

We have some capable and talented players and if they have stuck around to this point, they are likely to buy in. The injured are the difference between UT playing in a bowl game next winter or sitting at home. If Kirkland Jr, Tkjr, Tuttle, Smith, and the others play healthy at full speed this fall, we will win more games than 2017. My opinion.

UT is 12th. This was last year and this will not be updated until beginning of the season. That makes sense as more attrition for all teams between now and then as teams get down to 85. :hi:

2017 College Football Team Talent Composite

I saw the 18 and thought that was for this year. Strange how the # is still 4 and the same teams. The gumps, chumps, DTU and the other west team.

Do they update it weekly due to injury reports? That would be a good betting tool.

I saw the 18 and thought that was for this year. Strange how the # is still 4 and the same teams. The gumps, chumps, DTU and the other west team.

Do they update it weekly due to injury reports? That would be a good betting tool.

Think it’s just once a year.

If Butch Jones can build this SEC program in 6-7 years, I'm confident Coach Pruitt can step in, in the 6th year, and build it even way better !!!

look, and coach, like a genius !

Go VOLS !

I think the biggest issue we are facing is that we are multiple years behind in strength and conditioning. We may have a decent amount of talent, but the gap in that area can't be filled in just one off season. With the exception of Florida, every team we play will be well entrenched into their S&C programs. This year will be an uphill battle.

And the same can be said for the less than average coaching the team received prior to Pruitt. It will probably take more than 1 off-season to make up for that issue too.

If Butch Jones can build this SEC program in 6-7 years, I'm confident Coach Pruitt can step in, in the 6th year, and build it even way better !!!

look, and coach, like a genius !

Go VOLS !

One can only wish CJP is confused about how Butch manage to lose so many games with so much talent.

Is it true that CJP was at Ga when Butch beat Ga? If so, that's embarrassing for CJP.

Pruitt is inheriting a much better situation/roster than our previous two coaches inherited. This is more like a remodel than a rebuild.

Agree and disagree. Roster overall is better than what Jones inherited but not by much, and there are gaping holes at certain spots. For instance, Jones literally inherited 4 NFL OLs, would’ve been 5 if Tiny’s knees hadn’t have been so badly injured.....obviously, Pruitt is screwed given the OL he has.

Also, JP is inheriting a DL that just proved to be the worst vs the run in school/program history...that’s no good. He doesn’t have a Curt Maggitt or AJ Johnson either, only some kids with potential who haven’t done much of anything to date...only Bituli, who has talent but still struggled playing sideline to sideline last year, has put up performances at linebacker to show he can really play and fit Pruitt’s system returns at LB. Everybody else is a work in progress to some degree or isn’t a particularly good fit for JP’s defense imo. Also, we have nobody we can rely on at Corner right now and only 1 true high level SEC safety in Warrior....all our other safeties are either unproven or just not quite good enough athletically based on what we’ve seen thus far.

Probably a push at QB, although JG has a higher upside than Worley did. We have a decent WR corps with JJ, Callaway and Johnson, but there’s no depth and we have no tightens unless JUCO transfer Wood-Anderson shows up and can really play. I think we’re pretty good at running back, but remember that Rajion Neal ran for 1,200+ yards in Jones’ first season and has at least hung around the nfl on a few practice squads.

Finally, even at Special Teams JP inherits nothing but questions. Who’s our punter to replace Daniel? Can an inconsistent Cimaglia get much better?

While I would agree that JP likely inherits more talent than Jones did, I think it’s marginal at best.

One can only wish CJP is confused about how Butch manage to lose so many games with so much talent.

Is it true that CJP was at Ga when Butch beat Ga? If so, that's embarrassing for CJP.

Butch did score 32 and 38 points, respectively, on Pruitt's Georgia defenses in 2014 and 2015. Butch beat Georgia in 2015.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that though. If you want to be skeptical about Pruitt, I'd look at the fact that while his defenses have always been good and he's recruited well, he's also only coached at places that always have good defenses and always recruit well.

Saban, Richt, and Jimbo all have wanted him to be their DC, so obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, but was he really the straw stirring the drink at those programs? I think he had his greatest impact at FSU; he was there for only a year, their defense got noticeably better from the previous year, and they won the national title. It's also kind of interesting that he left only after one season to make arguably what was a lateral move (DC at Georgia); rumored there were rifts within his staff at FSU, and also at Georgia.

Not the HailMary, but his defense gave up 24-3 lead the year before. 35 points in 31 minutes.

Agree and disagree. Roster overall is better than what Jones inherited but not by much, and there are gaping holes at certain spots. For instance, Jones literally inherited 4 NFL OLs, would’ve been 5 if Tiny’s knees hadn’t have been so badly injured.....obviously, Pruitt is screwed given the OL he has.

Also, JP is inheriting a DL that just proved to be the worst vs the run in school/program history...that’s no good. He doesn’t have a Curt Maggitt or AJ Johnson either, only some kids with potential who haven’t done much of anything to date...only Bituli, who has talent but still struggled playing sideline to sideline last year, has put up performances at linebacker to show he can really play and fit Pruitt’s system returns at LB. Everybody else is a work in progress to some degree or isn’t a particularly good fit for JP’s defense imo. Also, we have nobody we can rely on at Corner right now and only 1 true high level SEC safety in Warrior....all our other safeties are either unproven or just not quite good enough athletically based on what we’ve seen thus far.

Probably a push at QB, although JG has a higher upside than Worley did. We have a decent WR corps with JJ, Callaway and Johnson, but there’s no depth and we have no tightens unless JUCO transfer Wood-Anderson shows up and can really play. I think we’re pretty good at running back, but remember that Rajion Neal ran for 1,200+ yards in Jones’ first season and has at least hung around the nfl on a few practice squads.

Finally, even at Special Teams JP inherits nothing but questions. Who’s our punter to replace Daniel? Can an inconsistent Cimaglia get much better?

While I would agree that JP likely inherits more talent than Jones did, I think it’s marginal at best.

Agree that there are holes on the OL, but that was an underachieving unit, not a talentless unit.

The DL was a badly, badly underachieving unit last year. There is talent there, even with the departure of McKenzie (he should've returned for his senior season), and hopefully Pruitt can get more out of it.

It's true. Butch's O hung 35 on his D in the final 35:00 or so. It's one of those facts that needs to be ignored and buried in case Pruitt loses a few games. Then the fanbase will brandish the "Bama JP" label and dig up such stats. :crazy:

Butch did score 32 and 38 points, respectively, on Pruitt's Georgia defenses in 2014 and 2015. Butch beat Georgia in 2015.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that though. If you want to be skeptical about Pruitt, I'd look at the fact that while his defenses have always been good and he's recruited well, he's also only coached at places that always have good defenses and always recruit well.

Saban, Richt, and Jimbo all have wanted him to be their DC, so obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, but was he really the straw stirring the drink at those programs? I think he had his greatest impact at FSU; he was there for only a year, their defense got noticeably better from the previous year, and they won the national title. It's also kind of interesting that he left only after one season to make arguably what was a lateral move (DC at Georgia); rumored there were rifts within his staff at FSU, and also at Georgia.

2014 the pig fumble saved him even more embarrassment.

Nothing left to do but show the world he belongs.

Go Vols!

It's true. Butch's O hung 35 on his D in the final 35:00 or so. It's one of those facts that needs to be ignored and buried in case Pruitt loses a few games. Then the fanbase will brandish the "Bama JP" label and dig up such stats. :crazy:

If CJP has some spy(He is too busy to invest his own time. He needs an internet inter to monitor the "wackos" of Volnation.), no worries I'm just giving him the business like any other Vol brother.

Go Vols!

Our main problem is that we haven't had a real coach since Lane Kiffin. We now have a real coach. I think we surprise everyone with 8 wins this year.

VN Store

Back