Hot Take on Pruitt and rebuilding

BruinVol

Ok let's make this clear I like Pruitt and think he is a great fit with one big IF and that is IF he doesn't bolt for Bama in the next few years.

Now with that said I think what we are seeing now with how he is recruiting and burning spots for the 2019 class with grad transfers and this latest juco commit is a coach that is prioritizing a long shot at winning now over Buiding for the future.

Imo these spots we keep burning for 2019 are showing a short sided approach to the rebuilding process. I think we need to be saving spots so that the 2019 class can begin to get us back on track.

Now for the hot take part but I am starting to think there may be some truth to this. Pruitt knows Saban is retiring in a few years and he is desperately trying to win an extra game or two this first year or two so that he puts himself into a better spot to go home. He doesn't really care about taking the approach of rebuilding this thing for the long haul which saving spots for later classes requires.

Reactions: 7 people
The best recruiting tool is winning.

This whole slow rebuilding thing is an excuse factory.
Out with the old thought patterns.

Want to win every game.

Reactions: 43 people
The truth is you have to win to recruit , if we give up 3 spots of 2019 that would otherwise be filled w 2 or 3 star recruits anyway... what have we lost ?

Why do you think about 5 of those recruits in February didn’t sign w us ?

Reactions: 2 people
Winners win now. We've had enough year zeros and corner stone bricks and adding on to those bricks year after year. That strategy hasn't worked for us in the past couple decades. Let's try something new. Let's win now.

Reactions: 10 people
Now I know why lions eat their young...Good lord opie, please hit yourself in the face with a rubber mallet, repeatedly.

Reactions: 20 people
I truly hope that we are fighting to keep him in 3 to 5 years. That will mean that we are back on track. If he has UT going well not sure why i would give that up to follow a legend. Usually does not work out too well.

Reactions: 9 people
The best recruiting tool is winning.

This whole slow rebuilding thing is an excuse factory.
Out with the old thought patterns.

Want to win every game.

This was my first thought, as well. Fielding a mediocre product on the field in the fall will run off top prospects. CJP may have no choice but to make these trade-offs in order to build (re-build what???) the team. You have to maximize the concerns of your opponent's defense and offense to increase your potential for success. That's my two cents worth.

If you want to wait for the 2019 class to get us back on track, that means youre willing to wait 4 years for us to win?

He needs to get as much talent as possible now, or he won’t be here in 4 years.

If he brings us back to the point where Bama(postNick) believed he was the right guy, then that would mean he had totally turned us around. I'm not sure leaving to follow what looks to end up being the greatest in CFB history, is in his best interest. Especially when the place you are would have fallen head over heels 8n love with you. Money and family might get him, but we'll would have $$$ then too. Not a given IMO.

Let's just try to beat Vandy right now.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok let's make this clear I like Pruitt and think he is a great fit with one big IF and that is IF he doesn't bolt for Bama in the next few years.

Now with that said I think what we are seeing now with how he is recruiting and burning spots for the 2019 class with grad transfers and this latest juco commit is a coach that is prioritizing a long shot at winning now over Buiding for the future.

Imo these spots we keep burning for 2019 are showing a short sided approach to the rebuilding process. I think we need to be saving spots so that the 2019 class can begin to get us back on track.

Now for the hot take part but I am starting to think there may be some truth to this. Pruitt knows Saban is retiring in a few years and he is desperately trying to win an extra game or two this first year or two so that he puts himself into a better spot to go home. He doesn't really care about taking the approach of rebuilding this thing for the long haul which saving spots for later classes requires.

Wrong. There are influential boosters at Alabama who hold it against Pruitt because he left for a main rival. There was a write up about that a couple of months ago. Regardless, Sweeney will be their first pick and he won't turn them down.

Reactions: 3 people
It tells me that he expects to win now, and he's bringing in the guys that he feels we need to get us over that hump. No more of this brick by brick, 80% of our players have never been on an airplane bullcrap.

Reactions: 4 people

Yes, let's NOT win a game or 2 the next two seasons so Bama won't want him?

WTF???

Reactions: 4 people
If he brings us back to the point where Bama(postNick) believed he was the right guy, then that would mean he had totally turned us around. I'm not sure leaving to follow what looks to end up being the greatest in CFB history, is in his best interest. Especially when the place you are would have fallen head over heels 8n love with you. Money and family might get him, but we'll would have $$$ then too. Not a given IMO.

Let's just try to beat Vandy right now.

Why follow him? Why not continue to beat them without Saban and possibly start a big streak on them?

And yes, Vandy and KY in one year would be nice!

If Bama wants Pruitt that means he's made us a dominant team again

But I'd imagine TN would fight tooth and nail to keep him if he did

I also am not convinced Saban is retiring any time soon but hey, even if he does it means Pruitt would have to follow the greatest coach in modern college football.

Sounds fun to me

But seriously, why the hell are we worrying about what may or may not happen in 4 or 5 years, why don't we focus on next season?

The only way Bummer wants Pruitt is if he makes Tennessee dominate again. I’ll take the risk of losing him to them if that happens!

The only way Bummer wants Pruitt is if he makes Tennessee dominate again. I’ll take the risk of losing him to them if that happens!

I don't believe this for a second.

3 things have to happen for Pruitt to go to Bama after year 1.

1) Saban quits

2) Dabo says no

3) Pruitt has a decent year here. 6 or 7 wins does it

This whole idea that Pruitt is just waiting for Saban to retire so he can take over a Bama is a non-starter. First off, there are plenty of Saban disciples that have proven more as head coaches than Pruitt has at this point. Dabo, Smart, Muschamp, Fisher just name a few. Pruitt has proven nothing yet as a head coach and probably isn't even close to being on any short list IF Saban were to retire soon.

Pruitt is recruiting players now to win now to shore up holes in our 2-3 deep for this year and next. That is all he is doing. He is playing both the short game and the long game, not just the long game. Pruitt wants to win now, and I doubt he has put 1 ounce thought into IF Saban retires.

If you want to wait for the 2019 class to get us back on track, that means youre willing to wait 4 years for us to win?

He needs to get as much talent as possible now, or he won’t be here in 4 years.

No I am not willing to wait but I dang sure would take winning 6 this year, 7 the next and 10 in year 3 over winning 7 games in each of his first 3 years.

This whole idea that Pruitt is just waiting for Saban to retire so he can take over a Bama is a non-starter. First off, there are plenty of Saban disciples that have proven more as head coaches than Pruitt has at this point. Dabo, Smart, Muschamp, Fisher just name a few. Pruitt has proven nothing yet as a head coach and probably isn't even close to being on any short list IF Saban were to retire soon.

Pruitt is recruiting players now to win now to shore up holes in our 2-3 deep for this year and next. That is all he is doing. He is playing both the short game and the long game, not just the long game. Pruitt wants to win now, and I doubt he has put 1 ounce thought into IF Saban retires.

None of those names you mention are Tide alums. They love Pruitt there.

Zero shot Smartt is in play there.

No I am not willing to wait but I dang sure would take winning 6 this year, 7 the next and 10 in year 3 over winning 7 games in each of his first 3 years.

So you want him to hold a bunch of scholarships until 19? And win 10 in 20?

With who? A bunch of sophomores?

Will the graduate transfers count against 2019? I don't think so. If we need JUCOs to win more this and next year---go for it. I am getting tired of losing.

So you want him to hold a bunch of scholarships until 19? And win 10 in 20?

With who? A bunch of sophomores?

The 10wins in 3 year requires developing a bunch of guys currently on the roster. So my op probably should have emphasized year 4 more so than year 3 but the main point is these last few takes are very unlikely to win games for us in the short term. Grad transfers that have had very little success at their other schools and unsigned JC Players aren't the recipe for winning short term or long term.

But yea a couple extra 19s that have played and been developed could be huge in year 3

Last edited:

VN Store

Back