Pruitt really liking this team

He said “starting to like”, not “really liking”....bit of a difference. Just saying.

Reactions: 4 people
I feel this team is coming together now...

It’s been 3 spring days, only one of which was in pads. They’ve not even scrimmaged yet. The comments were positive from JP and I liked em too, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’re not gonna know anything about the team “coming together” until the Fall.

I would love a new HC to be honest once, and say...."Wow! The previous staff really pooped the bed with this team. We have a lot of fix'in to do."

Reactions: 2 people
“I’m starting to like this team and being around these guys, because I sense a bunch of guys that are hungry and maybe have a chip on their shoulder,” Pruitt said. “Not all of them, not all of them, but enough of them, and maybe we can make it where it’s contagious, you know?”

Buy-in takes time, but it sounds like it's taking effect.

I like hearing how vocal the WR coach is, and I like that Scherer is making players repeat reps when they goof up. I like the discipline over "little" things like chinstraps and shoe adjustments, requiring discipline and focus from the players in all aspects.

Maybe it's only because this is a sentiment every new coaching change brings, as losing teams are usually the least focused and coaches need to make their evaluations, but... consider our coaching pedigree compared to previously:

Kiffin: hotshot P5 coordinator, failed head coach for a trainwreck NFL team (hurts saying this as a Raiders fan)... "all-star" coaching asst. coaching staff, largely a true statement. Who knows what would have happened had Carroll left for Seattle and USC came calling.

Dooley: G5 head coach with mixed results, pants, hair, and last name, former NCAA player... good position coaching hires, mixed/negative results with coordinators.

Butch: generally successful G5 head coach who coincidentally followed the same more successful head coach at both of his stops preceding Tennessee... kept his G5 staff (most of them) with him.

Pruitt: Top 2 defensive coordinator with championship-winning (NATIONAL championship, not bowl championship) experience for multiple programs... most of staff is from successful SEC + USC and FSU. Our coaches from G5 level have clearly and objectively proved they're worthy of the move to Tennessee.

We'll see definite improvement this year and we'll know what we have for sure by year three. I'm pretty confident in this coaching staff and their ability to get us to a very high level. Far more confident with them than any of the previous post-Fulmer hires.

Reactions: 10 people
I would love a new HC to be honest once, and say...."Wow! The previous staff really pooped the bed with this team. We have a lot of fix'in to do."

There's always the "the next coach will look like a genius" in this team's favor.

All the same for an OD thread. Did we expect him to come out and say the team sucks?

Ummmm... yes.
Dooley.png

Reactions: 1 person
I'm glad CJP is getting on board with this team. I've really liked this team for a while.

Sounds like he is figuring some stuff out.

It's a complex puzzle that will take a while.

Keep putting the pieces together CJP&S.

storming, forming, norming and performing (or transforming): It's a process for teams of all types; from business to athletics and everything in between.

With season ticket apps circulating I am surprised he is that reserved. Do you think he cares about season ticket apps? I do.

Looking at the numbers, our team is much more talented then they appeared on the field last season. Butch consistently brought in big recruiting classes but they consistently stumbled in game day.

The common factor here is coaching. They weren't being coached right or well. If Pruitt can actually coach these kids correctly, we could finally see some real results.

But, we won't really find out until Fall.

VN Store

Back