The Sports Animal says UT not a high profile program or an elite job

oregonvol

So yesterday I made the mistake of flipping over to the Sports Animal.

They had this Barrett Sallee guy on there saying how the best thing about Fulmer as AD is that he realizes UT shouldn’t be one of the high profile teams in their division (of course neither host challenged him on this).

Then, a minute or two later, Josh Ward tells one of the callers that the UT football coach isn’t an elite job anymore as evidenced by Charlie Strong, Mike Gundy, and Dan Mullen turning us down.

Now, I’m sure some of you will agree, but still this made me wonder: Do you think any of the radio hosts in Gainesville were telling their listeners that Florida isn’t an elite job because they’ve been turned down by the likes of Hugh Freeze, Chris Peterson, and Chip Kelly? Do you think the radio guys in Baton Rouge tell the LSU fans their job isn’t elite because Tom Herman picked Texas over them? Do you think Bama radio was telling Bama fans their job wasn’t elite when Franchione left for Texas A&M?

I just don’t get why UT fans want to listen to a radio station that consistently bad mouths the program and tells fans we shouldn’t expect anything more than to be on par with the likes of Miss State. Can anyone explain this to me?

Reactions: 27 people

They had this Barrett Sallee guy on there saying how the best thing about Fulmer as AD is that he realizes UT shouldn’t be one of the high profile teams in their division (of course neither host challenged him on this).

Then, a minute or two later, Josh Ward tells one of the callers that the UT football coach isn’t an elite job anymore as evidenced by Charlie Strong, Mike Gundy, and Dan Mullen turning us down.

Now, I’m sure some of you will agree, but still this made me wonder: Do you think any of the radio hosts in Gainesville were telling their listeners that Florida isn’t an elite job because they’ve been turned down by the likes of Hugh Freeze, Chris Peterson, and Chip Kelly? Do you think the radio guys in Baton Rouge tell the LSU fans their job isn’t elite because Tom Herman picked Texas over them? Do you think Bama radio was telling Bama fans their job wasn’t elite when Franchione left for Texas A&M?

I just don’t get why UT fans want to listen to a radio station that consistently bad mouths the program and tells fans we shouldn’t expect anything more than to be on par with the likes of Miss State. Can anyone explain this to me?

That whole station sux

Reactions: 12 people
Ridiculous. TN is still one of the best jobs in the country and it isn't up to debate. I wonder if they would have said this in before Fulmer was fired? I wonder if they would have said it about Bama in those early 2000's when Fulmer was owning them every season? We've had a bad time thanks to terrible coaching hires. But if Pruitt is legit, nobody will be saying this in a few years from now.

Reactions: 6 people
When you have a guy like Colin Cowherd who is not a huge fan of the south calling us a “top10” job, it’s a top 10 job. Everything is in place, infrastructure, fan base, money. Tennessee is an elite football school. I grew up in Durham, NC, and you don’t know anything about losing football games like Duke did in the 90’s.

Reactions: 20 people

Yeah can't listen to Ward he is a fool.

Reactions: 1 person
The reason its not is because UT has chose not to be. When you hire Dooley , Butch and then you try to hire Schiano ,guy from NCST and the one from Purdue and not counting the ones they interviewed when they hired Butch and Dooley. The University made Tn not an elite job. They want to go the cheap route and hope they win 8-10 games a year and the fan base will be content with that.
If Butch would of went 6-6 this past year ,I dont think they would of fired him. Nobody but the University is to blame for the shape that the football program is in.

Reactions: 13 people
Thats ridiculous. If the allure of Tennessee is diminished in anyway, it’s because of the administration. So commending them on recognizing that is completely asinine

Reactions: 4 people
All of the Tennessee sports media are garbage along with the UT athletic dept and boosters involved. They are all covering for each other now that everything is coming out. I'm glad all is coming to light and hope even more leaks out. It's painfully obvious why football has been so bad. My hope is, that they lucked into hiring a good coach with Pruitt. He's got my support for at least 3 years.

Guess what? They are correct.

LOL! So says the same guy who called Tennessee "career suicide for head coaches" based on a sample size of 2 - including one who was just fired 5 months ago. Your agenda is transparent and you never offer any evidence or cite any examples in support of yourself. You are incredibly boring.

Reactions: 18 people
Oh yeah, sure, a school that pulls roughly 140 million in revenue and hits top ten in attendance during a five win season and has one of the most prolific fanbases in college sports isn't a top ten job. Sure. SURE. Oooooh man, oh no, we're in NOOO WAAAAY a top job. SURE. I'm sure all that coaching bullcrap has nothing to do with a series of AD blunders coupled with a fanbase openly revolting and a series of poorly-managed coaching decisions. Yes, yes, oh my GOSH I see it all now, it's not the department's fault its act isn't together, it's the JOB ITSELF that's not valuable anymore. Oh, oh, it's all SO CLEAR to me now. How could I NOT see that? I can't imagine ANYONE wanting to take the helm of a program with this large a footprint in college athletics. It was all downhill after they replaced us with TCU on the College Gameday intro video package. We might as well pack it in and be THRILLED we can be competitive with Vanderbilt. YEAH. That's the TICKET. Don't bother calling in to argue, either, because this couldn't at ALL be about whipping up your audience to drive controversy.

... oh ... whoops! It says here that my posting is set to sarcastic. WHO KNEW!

Reactions: 11 people

Waste of time listening to that person certainly Tennessee has been down a while but were still top ten all time and we have everything to get back on top just need a coach that can get us there.

Waste of time listening to that person certainly Tennessee has been down a while but were still top ten all time and we have everything to get back on top just need a coach that can get us there.

This is true and it's important to remember that as bad as Butch Jones was, he won 9 games twice in 5 seasons and was 3-0 vs the Big Ten in bowl games (all blowouts) and recruited pretty well for the most part. That is what a bad coach did... I am anxious to see what a good one can do.

Read the texts, sir. Apparently a number of high profile coaches were interested, but,in some cases, our AD didn't return texts or calls. Others moved on while AD dithered.

They are right it’s not an elite job today. But it can be again.

How many people pegged Clemson as an elite program ten years ago?

If these radio stations convince their listeners Tennessee is not elite, they will be out of work in a hurry.

Read the texts, sir. Apparently a number of high profile coaches were interested, but,in some cases, our AD didn't return texts or calls. Others moved on while AD dithered.

That is never a good reason for disparaging a job anyway. Florida was turned down by Chip Kelly who preferred UCLA. Scott Frost picked Nebraska over Florida because it's his Alma Mater just like Mike Gundy chose to stay at his Alma Mater instead of coming to Tennessee. Some of the reasons for disparaging Tennessee here are ridiculous.

Guess what? They are correct.

They are. And I hate having to admit this. At one point in time it was.. But with each coaching search UT just ends up looking like a bigger circus. It’s the popular thing at the moment to blame Butch, but as far as making the job less desirable I feel like Kiffin and Dooley did much of that. By the time this search came around the program started to just look like a revolving door for coaches with an administration that was a total nightmare to work for.

TN has everything to be elite except for the decision makers. They are losers at sports. Excluding Fulmer of course

VN Store

Back