Jarrett Guarantano Critical Analysis

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
"You cant win in this league without a quarterback", UT coach Jeremy Pruitt has said. "I've been as brutally honest as I can. I don't know what we have at any position".

The part of Guarantano's game that continues to need addressing is his decisiveness in getting the ball out of the pocket. Coaches stress that is a skill quarterbacks must master

Guarantano was sacked 26 times in six starts, with seven each against South Carolina and Kentucky, and 4 more against Vanderbilt.

That said, coach Pruitt says he has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. And I have seen him work hard in this off season and try to do things the right way.

He wants to be the best player he can possibly be, Pruitt added. Whatever he needs to do, he wants to be coachable. I see him in there watching tape a lot.

Here are examples of JG moving the offense with accurate reads and crisp passes in the pocket and rolling out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqbpmqYgU[/youtube]

Guarantano's biggest issue as a freshman appeared to be the rate at which he made decisions in the pocket. He was sacked 26 times in roughly half a season of work.

He struggled to make good throws while under pressure, and while he didn't have a lot of interceptions, the negative yardage plays severely hampered UT's offense.

Against Vandy Guarantano started out 7-8 104 yard passing. But then Vandy dialed up pressure and from then JG was 4-11 for 32 yards with 4 sacks and 1 interception, as we fell in an insurmountable 42 -17 hole.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8wDcZWcv8[/youtube]

Guarantano sulked through Tennessee's season-opening win over Georgia Tech and then struggled in spot duty against UMass and Georgia, before taking over for good.

But he has a chance this spring to lock down the starting job before Chryst has opportunity to even set foot on campus.

We have to hope Jarrett has grown up since last year and be the type of leader the players can rally behind. And if Chryst wins the job in the fall he has to suck it up and be a good backup QB, be supportive and ready to step in if needed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7v2x8X7l08[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
His problem has never been physical talent. His problems are all head and heart. If he corrects that he can be really good. If not... he's just another in a long line of guys with talent who never made it.

Reactions: 2 people
Based on last year I think JG transfers if Chryst is the starter. Unless he has a change in attitude he will figure he will be recruited over (He May already have been).

Reactions: 8 people
Based on last year I think JG transfers if Chryst is the starter. Unless he has a change in attitude he will figure he will be recruited over (He May already have been).

Will not be surprised if he pulls an LG, and takes his ball and goes home.

Reactions: 6 people
I think JG will be the starter come Game 1. Now if we lose to West Virginia and only up 7 or so at half aginst ETSU, I can see Chryst coming in at halftime and starting rest of season if he is moving the ball.

Well lets see, terrible coaching, putrid OL, WRs who couldnt win matchups against HS DBs, crappy play calling, terrible defenses. JG had John Kelly and thats about it. Dude has talent. The supporting team around him sucks.

Reactions: 17 people
JG has a looooong way to go. Heck even Crompdaddy, R. Clausen & Ainge were more collected in the pocket than him and they had far less scrambling ability. Plus Im sure everyone remembers him during GaTech-he looked and acted like an entitled brat. If he gets beat out next year it wont be for lack of talent, it will be for issues between the shoulders particularly how he handles pressure. Personally cant wait to see who Pruitt recruits in 19. Something tells me well get a guy who is hungry and ready to work; not some guy who expects the position to be handed to him even after showing subpar pocket skills and terrible decision making.

Well lets see, terrible coaching, putrid OL, WRs who couldnt win matchups against HS DBs, crappy play calling, terrible defenses. JG had John Kelly and thats about it. Dude has talent. The supporting team around him sucks.

I agree with every word you said. Why people can't see this baffles me. I think JG did a great job with what little he had to work with. Last year was the worst offensive line play in UT history.

Reactions: 8 people
Personally, I’m giving every player a clean slate.

We have a number of talented kids in our program who have not had the benefit of SEC caliber coaching or S&C.

So I’m giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and will make judgements based on their performances going forward.

JG - like many individuals on our team - has a lot of ability. I hope he fully reaches his potential. I think he’s young enough that he still can/will.

Reactions: 16 people
It may not matter much who plays QB if the oline is really bad.
It would be great if both Smith and Hall are healthy by the fall.
If not, and we don’t find a good grad transfer soon, we are in trouble up front.

Reactions: 1 person

Exactly. Plus, if it is true that CBJ was inept at player development, you have that as well. It would be a miracle for CJP to turn this team around in one off season, but last season was a poor representation of the talent that exists on this team. At least, that's what I choose to believe. Go Vols.

Other than the first game, when he didn’t handle being lied to by his head coach well, what “attitude” are you referring to? The optics during the GaTech game were awful, fully agree with that. But it wasn’t a 1-game season....from that point on, we didn’t see any pouting from JG.

As a matter of fact, I saw just the opposite from him the rest of the year, especially when he started playing/became the starter.....kid took a beating, kept getting up, kept playing hard, kept trying to lead his team. By the end of the year, he was one of the very few who had the right kind of attitude we need on this team to be successful.

Reactions: 9 people
Why would any coach on his 1st year go with a guy that only won 1 game in his college career. Now u have a experience qb coming in that knows a pro style offense. JG never played in a pro style offense in his life. So if I was the coach going in on my first season I'm going with the vet

Reactions: 4 people
Why would any coach on his 1st year go with a guy that only won 1 game in his college career. Now u have a experience qb coming in that knows a pro style offense. JG never played in a pro style offense in his life. So if I was the coach going in on my first season I'm going with the vet

I’m glad you ain’t da coach.

Reactions: 7 people
Why does it seem everyone dismisses or ignores the injury situation. He was nursing a horrible ankle and playing behind a makeshift, patchwork Oline

Hey guess what, that South Carolina loss is more on your nephew Brandon than JG, quit acting like jg is the only guy that lost on the roster, and last time i checked chryst had the benefit of one of the best Pac 12 teams yet he still got beat out in that pro style offense you have no clue about that you are touting.

Hey guess what, that South Carolina loss is more on your nephew Brandon than JG, quit acting like jg is the only guy that lost on the roster, and last time i checked chryst had the benefit of one of the best Pac 12 teams yet he still got beat out in that pro style offense you have no clue about that you are touting.

Why everybody upset with me with my honest assessment? What Qb on this roster u can say is worthy of starting this season? Come on man lets be foreal JG hasn't shown enough to say he gonna be a bonified starter.

"You cant win in this league without a quarterback", UT coach Jeremy Pruitt has said. "I've been as brutally honest as I can. I don't know what we have at any position".

The part of Guarantano's game that continues to need addressing is his decisiveness in getting the ball out of the pocket. Coaches stress that is a skill quarterbacks must master

Guarantano was sacked 26 times in six starts, with seven each against South Carolina and Kentucky, and 4 more against Vanderbilt.

That said, coach Pruitt says he has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. And I have seen him work hard in this off season and try to do things the right way.

He wants to be the best player he can possibly be, Pruitt added. Whatever he needs to do, he wants to be coachable. I see him in there watching tape a lot.

Here are examples of JG moving the offense with accurate reads and crisp passes in the pocket and rolling out:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqbpmqYgU[/youtube]

Guarantano's biggest issue as a freshman appeared to be the rate at which he made decisions in the pocket. He was sacked 26 times in roughly half a season of work.

He struggled to make good throws while under pressure, and while he didn't have a lot of interceptions, the negative yardage plays severely hampered UT's offense.
I love how you mention all of the sacks, yet don't mention the 5 scholarship o-linemen that were healthy come the end of the season, perhaps walk on linemen can explain several of those sacks, should he be better at throwing it away or running yes but you act like there were no other contributing factors than he just loves to get hit.

There were plenty of other plays that didn't involve either of them that didn't help the cause.

It's nice to have options at QB. One of them needs to step up early and lead the team.

I just don’t see the kid making it. If it does click for him then he could be a top 5 QB in SEC. kids his age at other schools have far exceeded his play so far.

Why everybody upset with me with my honest assessment? What Qb on this roster u can say is worthy of starting this season? Come on man lets be foreal JG hasn't shown enough to say he gonna be a bonified starter.

Maybe if you aren't looking? 62% with two ints as a freshman in the sec with the stone hands receivers he was throwing to, is a damn near miracle. Hard to through to the receivers when they all decide to block on a pass play, right? I'm not putting all the blame on others, everybody has plenty of failures from last year to account for. But i would think you you would prefer jg considering your nephew got his best production when jg was throwing him the ball, when Brandon didn't let the ball slide right through his hands ending a potential game-winning drive that is.

VN Store

Back