Pruitt talks QBs

KBVol

Twitter

-discusses his thoughts on JG, what he likes about Chryst.....and he said this......

“I think the big thing about quarterback is when the possession is over with, make sure you’re kicking the football, whether it’s for extra point or a punt,’’

Edit: couldn’t get link to work....here are a couple quotes....

“He has experience,’’ Pruitt said, when asked what he liked about Chryst. “He comes from a football family. Has good maturity. He’s 11-2 as a starter.’’

What does Pruitt like about Guarantano?

“I tell you what,’’ Pruitt said, “the kid is tough. He has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. I’ve seen him work hard in the offseason and try to do things the right way.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Glad we got both of them. I'm much less worried about QB than I am the O-line and WRs right now. Doesn't matter how good your QB is if he doesn't get any protection and has no one to throw to.

Think our WR corps should be improved, though, so long as JJ is back healthy. O-line concerns me a lot with all the injuries and players we've lost. Hopefully, some guys step up, but I could see it taking till Year 2 or 3 to have a solid OL again, unfortunately.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe the talent was there all along, just not brought out by coaching. Hope we have some step up that were not producing before. Fresh start maybe all it takes.

Reactions: 8 people
See if Ole JJ can still spin it because I don't see us doing much with a below average run of the mill QB with very little talent around them.

Twitter

-discusses his thoughts on JG, what he likes about Chryst.....and he said this......

“I think the big thing about quarterback is when the possession is over with, make sure you’re kicking the football, whether it’s for extra point or a punt,’’

Edit: couldn’t get link to work....here are a couple quotes....

“He has experience,’’ Pruitt said, when asked what he liked about Chryst. “He comes from a football family. Has good maturity. He’s 11-2 as a starter.’’

What does Pruitt like about Guarantano?

“I tell you what,’’ Pruitt said, “the kid is tough. He has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. I’ve seen him work hard in the offseason and try to do things the right way.”

One thing JG has got going for him is not turning it over.

Reactions: 5 people
One thing JG has got going for him is not turning it over.

JG actually has a lot going for him imo. And let’s be honest, had the kid not held the ball way too long, way too many times and not taken so many sacks, and instead had either taken off running a few more times or just thrown the ball away.....the opinion of JG by so many on here would 180 degrees different and they, too, would be looking forward to seeing him play/progress this season.

Reactions: 14 people
JG actually has a lot going for him imo. And let’s be honest, had the kid not held the ball way too long, way too many times and not taken so many sacks, and instead had either taken off running a few more times or just thrown the ball away.....the opinion of JG by so many on here would 180 degrees different and they, too, would be looking forward to seeing him play/progress this season.

I don't really have a problem with the execution of JG last year. I had/have a problem with his immaturity at times. If he has grown from that...the sky is the limit....

Reactions: 2 people
I don't really have a problem with the execution of JG last year. I had/have a problem with his immaturity at times. If he has grown from that...the sky is the limit....

He definitely poorly handled a poorly handled qb situation by the staff last year....his pouting and attitude during the GaTech game was beyond a bad look. But after that, I thought he handled himself well throughout the 2017 season. He and Trey Smith certainly stood out as team leaders after the Vandy beatdown that ended the season and it sounds like he’s having a good offseason leading to Spring practice. We’ll see what happens....the kid has the toughness and arm talent....can he grow into the outstanding SEC QB we desperately need? I don’t know, but sure hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
See if Ole JJ can still spin it because I don't see us doing much with a below average run of the mill QB with very little talent around them.

We don't know what we will get from any of the QB's till they get real coaching. I can guarantee JJ would not do well as a passing QB. It gets proven year in and out how much difference a new coaching staff can make. Even JP said we aren't near as talentless as some think. He wouldn't say that if he didn't believe it. Especially when you can use that as an excuse for losing games. God knows what excuses Butch would have had. I like that JP isn't throwing out excuses, even though he's got every reason to use them.

I don't think most of the negative opinions of JG are really based around logic or facts.

Half of the criticism against him can be explained by the "he's not a team player" bit, which seems to be based on the unsubstantiated dumb opinions of a few announcers in the GT game. The other half of the criticisms probably fall into the category of blaming the QB too much when we lose and giving him too much credit when we win. Under this line of reasoning, we lost a lot, therefore, the problem must've been the QB.

When JG is analyzed more rationally, he probably deserves a "B" for last season. He had a strong arm, made good decisions, rarely turned the ball over in spite of immense pressure, made the passes to open receivers in the middle of the field routinely, and had a relatively high completion percentage. Think the criticism that he held the ball too long is accurate, but I'd contrast it with Dormady who would force passes into double- and triple- coverage in the same situations. Overall, I'd say JG looked better in his first season than Josh Dobbs did, albeit, Dobbs' ability to improvise would set him apart; and I don't think JG will ever be like Dobbs on that facet, but he's probably a better passer.

The biggest point to me, though, is that both JG and Dormady were stuck in a lot bad situations that had little to do with their own skill levels. Both were under pressure from the D-line almost instantly. Both rarely had open receivers. JG's ability to simply "take the hits" is more impressive than people give him credit for. He rarely panicked, but he also rarely had a lot of great situations.

Reactions: 14 people
Jg looked blind as a bat during blitzes

Wasn’t just during blitzes. He simply appeared to have no pocket presence and time after time just held the ball way too long and took way too many sacks.

That said, when he did throw the ball downfield, he showed a strong, accurate arm. And he showed strong leadership on the field and outstanding toughness.

I’m thinking that good, strong QB coaching from Pruitt and Helton (and maybe even a bit from Weinke as well), where he thoroughly understands a much better offense that fits his skill set and is told (and drilled) under no uncertain terms, that he’s to follow his 1st and 2nd progressions and then either hit his check down, throw the ball away or tuck and run and get what he can rather than taking drive killing sacks, will make him a much better qb and the qb that Tennessee needs to win.

Reactions: 2 people
Jg looked blind as a bat during blitzes

agreed...but that can be taught. that's film study and experience.

he got the experience of getting his teeth kicked in last season.

if the O line can get any better, and he gets better at his pre snap reads....may do the trick.

the good news is that is something that is teachable....it's not something that you either have or don't have.

agreed...but that can be taught. that's film study and experience ... if the O line can get any better, and he gets better at his pre snap reads....may do the trick ... the good news is that is something that is teachable....it's not something that you either have or don't have.

This explains a lot of my optimism on JG. I see a guy that had all the talent needed, but who didn't seem like he was being coached well. He didn't always seem to know what he was supposed to do, but he rarely made big mistakes and "took the hits" without complaint.

Our OC is going to be a busy man teaching our QB's and overseeing our entire O.

He's also said to be a really good QB coach so that will help.

Never forget that our RB coach Won a National Championship, Won the heisTman trophy and was drafted into the NFL as a legit QB.

I believe that our OC will have our RB coach doing double duty working with our QB's especially in the film room learning how to read the D much better pre-snap and being able to audible into a different play based on what they see the D doing.

That extra work with our RB coach I believe will help our QB's more than most people think.

I have no answers on how we're going to get our O line better, sure wish I did.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Our OC is going to be a busy man teaching our QB's and overseeing our entire O.

He's also said to be a really good QB coach so that will help.

Never forget that our RB coach Won a National Championship, Won the heisTman trophy and was drafted into the NFL as a legit QB.

I believe that our OC will have our RB coach doing double duty working with our QB's especially in the film room learning how to read the D much better pre-snap and being able to audible into a different play based on what they see the D doing.

That extra work with our RB coach I believe will help our QB's more than most people think.

I have no answers on how we're going to get our O line better, sure wish I did.

VFL...GBO!!!

Helton will definitely have lots of help. He's got Osovet as an offensive analyst's, who has been a HC and OC and can coach any position group on offense. Hardesty is an offensive analyst so he could help with RB's when Weinke is helping with the QB's. I don't think some fans really understand how great of a staff this is. It's very impressive and loaded with experienced Coach's.When you can get a JUCO Head Coach of the year and very good offensive mind to leave his HC job to come be an offensive analyst is pretty damn impressive. Throw in he got an OC,who was the highest paid non power 5 Coordinator in Will Friend to come be his OLine Coach and not OC is also impressive. You don't pull that off without the coaching relationships he's made and being highly respected.

Wasn’t just during blitzes. He simply appeared to have no pocket presence and time after time just held the ball way too long and took way too many sacks.

That said, when he did throw the ball downfield, he showed a strong, accurate arm. And he showed strong leadership on the field and outstanding toughness.

I’m thinking that good, strong QB coaching from Pruitt and Helton (and maybe even a bit from Weinke as well), where he thoroughly understands a much better offense that fits his skill set and is told (and drilled) under no uncertain terms, that he’s to follow his 1st and 2nd progressions and then either hit his check down, throw the ball away or tuck and run and get what he can rather than taking drive killing sacks, will make him a much better qb and the qb that Tennessee needs to win.
It is difficult to have pocket presence when there is no pocket.

It is difficult to have pocket presence when there is no pocket.

True. But even though I’m a JG defender on here, I can admit that there were numerous times when he had 3, 4, 5 seconds to throw and instead he just held the ball until the pressure got there and he was sacked.

I get your point, the OL was awful, but not all the sacks were their fault....several were squarely on JG just not getting rid of the ball when he should have.

Maybe the talent was there all along, just not brought out by coaching. Hope we have some step up that were not producing before. Fresh start maybe all it takes.

JG is ultra talented. He had offers from Bama, OSU, Auburn, Clemson, LSU and OK. He was ranked #79 pberall and the #1 DT QB. He has a cannon. It was reported that WRs were complaining that he threw too hard.

Guarantano has suffered the same thing that may other talented guys at UT have. Terrible coaching. If we can get some better OL play, I believe JG will be a superstar.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back