USS Tennessee Coin

TennesseeRhett

Some of you who have served may be familiar with the challenge coin. For those who aren’t, they are basically collectable coins that are specific to various commands, ships, operations, etc. One my colleagues at my command used to be enlisted on the USS Tennessee, a ballistic missile submarine. He knew how big a Tennessee fan I am (I have a Peyton signed football, numerous framed pics of Neyland Stadium and various UT paraphenalia in my office) and showed me his coins from his time onboard. I love that they incorporated UT Big Orange, “Volunteers” and Davy Crockett’s long rifle into their official coin. Pretty tame story, but I thought some of you may find it cool.

Attachments

• 43F47BC7-4419-4A1D-AA58-0ED0654D5ECF.jpg
    43F47BC7-4419-4A1D-AA58-0ED0654D5ECF.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
  • 8D8BAA1D-56A4-47B0-B2CF-168117DE7B96.jpg
    8D8BAA1D-56A4-47B0-B2CF-168117DE7B96.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: 53 people
That’s awesome. I collect challenge coins so can appreciate that on many levels. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 person
Not tame at all. As a vet I love these kinds of posts.

God. Family. Tennessee. USA. In that order.

GBFO

Reactions: 12 people
Nice! I’ve got something from USS Tennessee too

Attachments

• 260404B5-3569-4F5D-BA3C-FC13AF6ECD60.jpg
    260404B5-3569-4F5D-BA3C-FC13AF6ECD60.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: 16 people
That's cool, thanks for sharing. My father and two brothers served in the Navy. Go NAVY!

Reactions: 2 people
Some of you who have served may be familiar with the challenge coin. For those who aren’t, they are basically collectable coins that are specific to various commands, ships, operations, etc. One my colleagues at my command used to be enlisted on the USS Tennessee, a ballistic missile submarine. He knew how big a Tennessee fan I am (I have a Peyton signed football, numerous framed pics of Neyland Stadium and various UT paraphenalia in my office) and showed me his coins from his time onboard. I love that they incorporated UT Big Orange, “Volunteers” and Davy Crockett’s long rifle into their official coin. Pretty tame story, but I thought some of you may find it cool.

I served proudly, but unfamiliar with this. Pretty cool, I have to admit.

Tennessee long riffle and Ballistic missile submarine. 2 Good ways to reach out and touch someone. Wonder if we could get the USS Tennessee up the river and join the Vol navy for a game or two.

Tennessee long riffle and Ballistic missile submarine. 2 Good ways to reach out and touch someone. Wonder if we could get the USS Tennessee up the river and join the Vol navy for a game or two.

That's an awesome idea.

There’s a helluva lot of room on that deck for a tailgate!

Attachments

• 80E4FD5E-9CCD-4E80-8053-7086F7A06353.jpeg
    80E4FD5E-9CCD-4E80-8053-7086F7A06353.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 453
Reactions: 3 people
My first ship was USS NASHVILLE (LPD-13). It was a flag configured ship (means all the high up Admirals). We were assigned to accompany the USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734) during her trials in the 80's shortly after commissioning. She had to successfully launch (submerged) a Trident ballistic missile. Greenpeace tagged along and tried to disrupt the launch. Thoughtfully, the Flag Staff onboard NASHVILLE countered the Greenpeace disruption with a zodiac boat full of Navy Seals. Problem resolved quickly. Launch happened and it was an amazing sight to behold.

Reactions: 7 people
My first ship was USS NASHVILLE (LPD-13). It was a flag configured ship (means all the high up Admirals). We were assigned to accompany the USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734) during her trials in the 80's shortly after commissioning. She had to successfully launch (submerged) a Trident ballistic missile. Greenpeace tagged along and tried to disrupt the launch. Thoughtfully, the Flag Staff onboard NASHVILLE countered the Greenpeace disruption with a zodiac boat full of Navy Seals. Problem resolved quickly. Launch happened and it was an amazing sight to behold.

Go Vols!

That is way cool. I love that the Nashville was assigned to the Tennessee. A trident launch is definitely a box in my Navy experiences list that remains unchecked.

Last edited:
I bet O.M.G. could answer the question about the stars on the coin as well as give us a complete rundown of the history of all things USS Tennessee. He would then be able to tie it all to the maxims and our most recent football game.

VN Store

Back