Carlin fils-aime to DB? [confirmed]

etcolton

99% sure I just heard Hubbs say that fils-aime will be getting to try out for corner. Curious if this means that the staff feels good about our Rb rotation or really worry about our stable of corners

Reactions: 5 people
99% sure I just heard Hubbs say that fils-aime will be getting to try out for corner. Curious if this means that the staff feels good about our Rb rotation or really worry about our stable of corners

I hope not. I thought he was real solid as a RB. Especially for a backup.

Reactions: 4 people

I saw that mentioned earlier too. CFA is nowhere near the size of the type RB they want. I doubt he would get many touch's at RB in this offense.

Reactions: 6 people
so wait, people are fine with Byrd moving even though he is arguably more proven at WR than CFA is at RB...I would honestly think the reverse should be true. as RB is an easier position for him to return to than WR. afaik being a good RB is mostly about physical talent, temperament (patience) and instinct. Each of those can be improved to some extent but honestly you either have them or you don't. A WR has to learn many different positions and techniques compared to a RB. There is a lot more teaching involved.

Better said its a lot easier to move a player from position x ro RB than to WR. So if we needed CFA to move back to RB from CB at some point that's a fairly easy transition. Moving from CB to WR is much harder.

Reactions: 2 people
so wait, people are fine with Byrd moving even though he is arguably more proven at WR than CFA is at RB...I would honestly think the reverse should be true. as RB is an easier position for him to return to than WR. afaik being a good RB is mostly about physical talent, temperament (patience) and instinct. Each of those can be improved to some extent but honestly you either have them or you don't. A WR has to learn many different positions and techniques compared to a RB. There is a lot more teaching involved.

Better said its a lot easier to move a player from position x ro RB than to WR. So if we needed CFA to move back to RB from CB at some point that's a fairly easy transition. Moving from CB to WR is much harder.

Byrd excelled as a DB before Tennessee. Fils-Aime excelled as a RB before Tennessee. Byrd was a non-factor at WR the past two seasons. When given carries Fils-Aimes showed SOMETHING. End of the mystery.

Reactions: 21 people
If the D-Line is a wall, and deep strikes work,

the other team will be passing.

He might get more carries, and yards, as a DB.

Byrd excelled as a DB before Tennessee. Fils-Aime excelled as a RB before Tennessee. Byrd was a non-factor at WR the past two seasons. When given carries Fils-Aimes showed SOMETHING. End of the mystery.
you do realize that most of the best safeties and linebackers in UT history were converted HS RB's.. J/S

Byrd has had just as much impact (if not more) at UT the past 2 years as CFA has had at rb. Byrd has accounted for 318 yards and 1td while VFA has accounted for 291 and 4td's when you account for difference in position the numbers are comparable.

My point is if either one can contribute more at DB its a good thing and a good move. If CFA/coaches are wanting to move him they must know something about depth we don't.

Personally I think both serve us better on offense. Byrds production last year is more a reflection of the mess we had with the passing game than personal imo. I still think the death of Butch Jones was JJ getting hurt. Him being gone killed the offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
There’s a RB C. J. Fuller that the staff may get as a senior transfer. That might be the reason CFA might be looking for a new position.

Reactions: 2 people
you do realize that most of the best safeties and linebackers in UT history were converted HS RB's.. J/S

Byrd has had just as much impact (if not more) at UT the past 2 years as CFA has had at rb. Byrd has accounted for 318 yards and 1td while VFA has accounted for 291 and 4td's when you account for difference in position the numbers are comparable.

My point is if either one can contribute more at DB its a good thing and a good move. If CFA/coaches are wanting to move him they must know something about depth we don't.

I’m aware of our history. Our days of smallish fast linebackers are over under this coach tho. From my recollection, Byrd was targeted and incorporated more into the offense. Two years ago he wasn’t even on the field until Hurd left and Kamara got dinged. Still replicated Kelly’s freshman stats meanwhile Byrd was targeted heavily in several games, most notably A&M...he just looked like a top level athlete playing out of position.

I agree with your point about the new staff...to a degree. I think they’re kicking tires and don’t want to waste talent like Butch & Co did with Byrd amongst other examples.

Reactions: 1 person
There’s a RB C. J. Fuller that the staff may get as a senior transfer. That might be the reason CFA might be looking for a new position.

This was discussed on VQ week’s back.

that makes sense coming from a team where the QB was leading rusher and he'd be 4th-5th banana at best. He would be behind 3 other rbs and his qb for carries next year if he stayed at clemson

Welp, what would we rather have a good RB or a great CB?

With that said, I don't know just how good Carlin Fills Amy is as a CB vs a RB.

Our current RB rotation is a joke. Might be a sign that a grad transfer is coming like another poster alluded to. Also CFA never really developed his body relative to his size at RB. Hes fast but thats it. Thin as a stick for SEC RB duties.

Has CFA ever played CB? If not, I really cannot see how that kind of change would work. I mean Byrd played some WR in HS, so that switch wasnt as extreme.

Pruitt know's what he is doing when it comes to DBs.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back