Quite the transformation. (Kahlil McKenzie)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
DXpHqvpVwAALtgR

DXpHqvXUMAAcd_-

Reactions: 33 people
I know that I’m supposed to feel good for the kid, but all I can think about is how much nothing it seemed like he did here. Poster boy for all the wasted talent on last year’s roster.

Reactions: 49 people
He seems to be a good dude. Probably never enjoyed/felt comfortable in the toxic culture that Butch created.

Reactions: 28 people
I know that I’m supposed to feel good for the kid, but all I can think about is how much nothing it seemed like he did here. Poster boy for all the wasted talent on last year’s roster.

I think it was the culture around him, sadly. The pictures tell a lot. I do wish him the best though.

Reactions: 9 people

You guys need to stop blaming the players for Butch Jones ineptitude.

You would think Alvin Kamara taught yall a lesson.

None of our players were put in position to succeed under Butch Jones.

Reactions: 16 people
24/7 training exclusively for the Combine.

This!

That's why the combine is a only tool not a reflection of a player. Unfortunately, people like D4H and many others see these impressive numbers and are wowed. Although, those numbers are just a small scope to what scouts are looking at. Take Brian Randolph's bench for example(I think it was at pro day), it's remarkable but Randolph more than likely won't be a star in the NFL because the lack of other characteristics over physical attributes.

Also, they use the Combine to judge work ethic and that's why certain players stock fall because they show up overweight or out of shape. It's like a job interview.

Reactions: 3 people
24/7 training exclusively for the Combine.

Nailed it. That and the normal development between a teenager and a young man. That's all there is to see here. If he really does show-out in the league, then maybe there's more to talk about. Until then, what you see here is not particularly unusual.

Reactions: 2 people

Yes but at least Kamara flashed when he was on the field. You can't blame Butch Jones for every single inch of ineptitude that some of our players demonstrated. KM was a bust, period. To be so highly touted coming out of high school and to have such a small impact on our defense, you can't say he was anything else.

Reactions: 20 people
He seems to be a good dude. Probably never enjoyed/felt comfortable in the toxic culture that Butch created.

This. Jones appeared to have no idea what he was doing from a personnel standpoint. KM still didn't show many glimpses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes but at least Kamara flashed when he was on the field. You can't blame Butch Jones for every single inch of ineptitude that some of our players demonstrated. KM was a bust, period. To be so highly touted coming out of high school and to have such a small impact on our defense, you can't say he was anything else.

GMAFB please! A "bust" doesn't see the field much like Dontavious Blair, Bates, etc etc etc. KMac did not live up to his potential like a lot of kids under the CBJ regime but a bust he was not. He played a lot of football while on The Hill.

KMac graded out pretty good by NFL standards but hell, what do they know, right?

He's a NT in the 3-4 and that's where he'll play for the next 6-7 yrs.

This is complete BS. While I admit that coaching, schemes, play calling, etc. definitely have an impact on a player's production, at the end of the day great players make plays. We all saw enough of AK's skills to know what he was capable of in the right offense. So while our play calling held him back, we still saw plenty of evidence that he was a special player.

You simply can't keep a good player from displaying flashes of greatness. Great players find a way to dominate. At the end of the day, for most players it comes down to man on man - especially on the d-line. As much as I wanted Khalil to dominate and be a force, it just never materialized. You cannot blame that solely on Butch and if you do, you are delusional.

Please explain how in the same system with the same coaches, Barnett absolutely dominated? Is this because he was coached differently or because he rose above inadequate coaching. I think we all know the answer. DB dominated from the time he was a freshman. Any player that wants to make it to the NFL should be able to find a way to rise above.

Reactions: 17 people
How can a d lineman look like that and not be disrupting the backfield every other play?

Cruise control. Self-preservation. Eye towards the pros. No desire to sacrifice his body for the lost cause that was TN football under Butch Jones. Not judging whether this is morally ok, but seems a reasonable explanation.

This is complete BS. While I admit that coaching, schemes, play calling, etc. definitely have an impact on a player's production, at the end of the day great players make plays. We all saw enough of AK's skills to know what he was capable of in the right offense. So while our play calling held him back, we still saw plenty of evidence that he was a special player.

You simply can't keep a good player from displaying flashes of greatness. Great players find a way to dominate. At the end of the day, for most players it comes down to man on man - especially on the d-line. As much as I wanted Khalil to dominate and be a force, it just never materialized. You cannot blame that solely on Butch and if you do, you are delusional.

Please explain how in the same system with the same coaches, Barnett absolutely dominated? Is this because he was coached differently or because he rose above inadequate coaching. I think we all know the answer. DB dominated from the time he was a freshman. Any player that wants to make it to the NFL should be able to find a way to rise above.

Speaking of DB, eagles fans are absolutely Loving him. They see the amount of production compared to the amount of snaps given, and they are ecstatic.

I wish we could have won an sec championship while we had him. He was unlockable on obvious pass downs in college. What a talent.

You can't blame Jones for a players "want to". Kahlil did next to nothing during his time here. Made a tackle here or there. Just another UT 5 star that didn't live up to the hype. We've had many more of those than the 5 stars that do.

post butch jones strength and conditioning..

Works better than DAT training with catch phrases.

Got a feeling Pruitt and co S/T going to be alot different...which is why I thought KMAC staying another year could have put him in round 1 range. On other hand, if he didn't want to put in the work, he'd be riding the pine.

Agree with you 100%.

Only things that come to mind was he got injured so maybe that was a factor. Whether he was used to "eat" blockers to free up linebackers might factor into it. I hoped that he would be a beast and then nothing much came of or from him.

At the end of the day a player's performance is on him.

Butch Jones was an ass. But to say that this kid did not excel because of Jones is a stretch.

Khalil's career at UT was a disappointment based on the hype that he had coming into college.

Maybe not playing his senior year in high school had an impact. Do not know but for a 5 star kid who appeared to be a dominant lineman when he arrived on campus. His career was a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
GMAFB please! A "bust" doesn't see the field much like Dontavious Blair, Bates, etc etc etc. KMac did not live up to his potential like a lot of kids under the CBJ regime but a bust he was not. He played a lot of football while on The Hill.

He played like a poor man's Demonte Bolden and I'm probably being too generous by saying that.

You can't blame Jones for a players "want to". Kahlil did next to nothing during his time here. Made a tackle here or there. Just another UT 5 star that didn't live up to the hype. We've had many more of those than the 5 stars that do.

Not true. Kahlil was our leading tweeter.

VN Store

Back