So Butch to be hired at Alabama is true.

VolsnRavens

Report: Alabama to Hire Butch Jones | Rocky Top Insider

"Reports came out last week that former Tennessee head coach Butch Jones was in talks with Nick Saban about joining his staff at Alabama. Now it appears the Tide may be close to hiring the former Vol head coach.

According to a report from SEC Country, Alabama is expected to announce the hiring of Jones “sometime this week.” Jones is expected to be hired on as an offensive analyst, an off-field position for the Tide."

Offensive analyst. Well, you have to admit, our offense was offensive when he was here.....

Reactions: 8 people
I think Saban just wants to see Butch's chart with his own eyes, for S & G's.

Reactions: 19 people
Will he be watching film to make sure all of those individuals are getting in their proper leadership reps? Eye discipline! 63 effort! Getting 1% better each day!

Reactions: 7 people
I doubt he's going to have a whole lot to do with the concepts of the offense.

The guy has to have a least a few decent skills associated with football. He's been around it for 30 years. Maybe he's really good a breaking down practice and game film? Recognizing tendencies, etc. Heck I don't know. But, I don't think Saban is a fool. He must be worth something.

He's probably working pretty cheap too. He'd hate to offset too much of his buyout.

Reactions: 3 people
Perhaps this is cynical, but I suspect this hire has nothing to do with coaching. I think Saban is trying to find some dirt on Tennessee to exploit on the recruiting trail or with NCAA investigators.

Reactions: 14 people
I doubt he's going to have a whole lot to do with the concepts of the offense.

The guy has to have a least a few decent skills associated with football. He's been around it for 30 years. Maybe he's really good a breaking down practice and game film? Recognizing tendencies, etc. Heck I don't know. But, I don't think Saban is a fool. He must be worth something.

He's probably working pretty cheap too. He'd hate to offset too much of his buyout.

Well, he sure didn't have a whole lot to do with the concepts of offense here.

Reactions: 2 people
Perhaps this is cynical, but I suspect this hire has nothing to do with coaching. I think Saban is trying to find some dirt on Tennessee to exploit on the recruiting trail or with NCAA investigators.

So hire the guy that would have been involved with any impropriety regarding recruiting?...Yeah, that makes sense. :loco:

Reactions: 9 people
Butch probably took this gig in order to learn how to be a head coach under Saban so that he can someday apply for the HC opening at Vandy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

UT has been a huge threat to Saban. He needs all the advantage he can get

Or a favor to Jimmy Sexton. Bama, where old UT coaches go for rehab.

Ever consider this? I have heard talk that Butch is supposed to be actively seeking employment until his buyout is over. Maybe this is just to satisfy that clause. Bama wouldn't even blink at paying someone 50K and moving expenses. He could just park it until he either moves back to Michigan, or to Hawaii.

To me it makes no sense. Kiffin did make a little sense, but if you think about it, Saban has access to premier football minds from college and the NFL. Not dissing Butch here, but there are plenty smarter than he is, plus , his "zone read" system isn't a good fit for Bama.

I don't think Jones would be revealing NCAA violations. Those would follow him around. Ask Donnie Tyndall about that.

Regardless of his half brain decision making and complete lack of understanding of goal line concepts, offensive production and his scheme during his time at Tennessee wasnt Butch's problem.

Or a favor to Jimmy Sexton. Bama, where old UT coaches go for rehab.

Ever consider this? I have heard talk that Butch is supposed to be actively seeking employment until his buyout is over. Maybe this is just to satisfy that clause. Bama wouldn't even blink at paying someone 50K and moving expenses. He could just park it until he either moves back to Michigan, or to Hawaii.

To me it makes no sense. Kiffin did make a little sense, but if you think about it, Saban has access to premier football minds from college and the NFL. Not dissing Butch here, but there are plenty smarter than he is, plus , his "zone read" system isn't a good fit for Bama.

I don't think Jones would be revealing NCAA violations. Those would follow him around. Ask Donnie Tyndall about that.

Kiffin used the read option to destroy us in Neyland.

Butch is public enemy #1 around these parts. The ex is gone....let them leave. It is not a good look to out associates that we constantly talk about the ex. If the ex was so bad, stop bringing the ex up.

Reactions: 1 person
A real head scratcher. I'm not even sure he's that great a recruiter. The players never played like it. The "favor to Sexton" makes the most sense.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back