What do you think about the proposed kickoff rule.

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
NCAA kickoff rule change: Why Greg Schiano'''s proposal is better | SI.com

The rule basically says you don't have to be in the end zone to get a touchback. Just fair catch it anywhere inside the 25.

My opinion after a quote from the article. They mention that Greg Schiano has a better idea, and get a dig in to the Tennessee fan base. Here we go again.

The problem is the committee’s half measure makes the game more boring while not making it much safer. A much more effective solution was proposed by a coach seven years ago. It’s the full measure as opposed to the committee’s half measure. Not only would it make the game safer, it also would make it more interesting. Who is this prescient coach? You’re not going to like the answer, Tennessee fans.

My take: Don't mess with it. You just might make it worse. Punting instead of a kickoff. Come on Greg...

I'll compare this to basketball as I once knew it. Before the possession arrow existed, with every tie up, there was a jump ball, at either mid court or the free throw circle which ever was closer. If you had a 7 footer, maybe it seemed a little unfair. and I honestly can't remember if the two that tied it up were the ones that jumped, or if you could pick. Point is, like the kicking game, if you practiced it and were good at it, it helped your game, much like number 6.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

Would we be down to 6 maxims instead of 7?

So that part of basketball evaporated never to return. With this rule- the kickoff will be Darwinized into obsurity, and I feel, somewhere down the road, there will be no kickoff's, rather, much like the overtime play - you just put the ball on the 25 (75 yds away from the goal, not the OT 25) after the other team scores a touchdown and start from there. No more Evan Berry 100 yard returns.

Strategy for kicking will change because the receiving teams can redistribute personnel in ways to take advantage of this.

Will it also kill the onside kick? Schiano's proposal would. Tennessee fans aren't going to like that, are we?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
NCAA kickoff rule change: Why Greg Schiano'''s proposal is better | SI.com

I'll compare this to basketball as I once knew it. Before the possession arrow existed, with every tie up, there was a jump ball, at either mid court or the free throw circle which ever was closer. If you had a 7 footer, maybe it seemed a little unfair. and I honestly can't remember if the two that tied it up were the ones that jumped, or if you could pick.

The possession arrow SUCKS. I have always hated that they changed that rule. Great defense gets totally wasted if the arrow is against you on a tie up. At least with a jump ball you might have a chance of snagging it. Also more exciting. I hate when they tinker with a good thing.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think it will achieve what the rules committee wants it to achieve.

Most all of those full steam violent collisions will occur anyway. How is the return team going to know that a fair catch has been called? The coverage team is still going to pursue the ball in case the kick is dropped.

I guess the NCAA thinks it will dissuade coaches from sky kicking. Maybe that's it.

While we're at it why not just roll dice to see how much each play gains? If the defense rolls a bigger number, it is a loss. It would avoid penalties, injuries, and save money on scholarships, coaches, uniforms, etc.

Reactions: 3 people
While we're at it why not just roll dice to see how much each play gains? If the defense rolls a bigger number, it is a loss. It would avoid penalties, injuries, and save money on scholarships, coaches, uniforms, etc.

I think they should just build a bunch of robots and let the "players" sit in the press box and control them with x-box controllers.

I've been expecting this for a while now. Quite a few injuries happen on returns. I don't like it, but this is where the game has evolved. I can see kickoffs eliminated altogether in the next 10-15 years.

Ha.. I thought about that.. Why not just have Pruitt and Saban sit across from each other in front of 100,000 and play this:

Attachments

• ftballgamelg.jpg
    ftballgamelg.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 8 people
These Kids Know What They Are Getting Into. They Need To Leave football as is and make players/ parents sign waivers. They've changed it enough. Might As well take the hook and uppercut punches out of boxing too

Last edited:

VCR Quarterback! Love that game!

Instead of improving safety by educating coaches and players, some jackwagon screws with the rules. Would love to see these folk used as tackling dummies.

I haven't had read the proposed rule change, but I have not seen any discussion on how it would change the on-side kick. Does anyone know if on-side kick will remain and if there is any change proposed for them?

I thought you already could fair catch a kick off. I have seen it done on pooch type kicks by up backs. You get the ball at the spot of the catch.

I haven't had read the proposed rule change, but I have not seen any discussion on how it would change the on-side kick. Does anyone know if on-side kick will remain and if there is any change proposed for them?

If Schiano's idea is accepted (and it looks like SI is the only one pushing it), it's not a kick, but a punt. How do you onside punt?

Also, if you can and want to fair catch inside the 25, it seems there would be more players deep ready to catch it normally. An onside would pull more players up. Who knows..an onside fake and then kick deep? Maybe some strategy there. Hey somebody might get hurt! Watch out.

I wish it was me that implemented rule changes. I had a great idea when the NFL changed the point after, and moved it back. My idea would have been much more exciting and led to higher ratings and given a real wild card into the game.

Here was my idea: Leave the ball at the 3 yard line, like a normal point after. The only difference is, the guy that scored is the one that has to kick the extra point. How fun would that be to watch?

That is why they don't just kick it high and run under it.

I thought you already could fair catch a kick off. I have seen it done on pooch type kicks by up backs. You get the ball at the spot of the catch.

Now it would be spotted at the 25 if the fair catch occurred inside the 25.

These Kids Know What They Are Getting Into. They Need To Leave football as is and make players/ parents sign waivers. They've changed it enough. Might As well take the hook and uppercut punches out of boxing too

My opinion is if you played football past pee wee and you didn't think slamming your head full speed into another young man wasn't dangerous, then your brain was not that valuable to begin with.:question:

with all these rules, why even kick it off in the first place, just get the ball on the 25 yard line. Its so stupid, just play football like its meant to be played.

VN Store

Back