Butch Jones era

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
I know this is old hat and people are probably tired of hearing about it but, I keep asking myself, why did the 2017 team fall apart. I liked Butch Jones and like most Vols fans wanted him to succeed at TN. I have not heard a good explanation as to why things fell apart.
Each year we saw improvement till 2017. Then the wheels came off.
Does anyone really know what happened?.
Vol fans have been through a lot of misery. I hope and pray Pruitt will get this program on track, finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Like the guy said about the king's new clothes. Yes, but he's naked. The everyone woke up....

I know this is old hat and people are probably tired of hearing about it but, I keep asking myself, why did the 2017 team fall apart. I liked Butch Jones and like most Vols fans wanted him to succeed at TN. I have not heard a good explanation as to why things fell apart.
Each year we saw improvement till 2017. Then the wheels came off.
Does anyone really know what happened?.
Vol fans have been through a lot of misery. I hope and pray Pruitt will get this program on track, finally.
Lack of leadership. Butch allowed players to mutiny Lawson. He made bad hires. Didnt manage his roster, which led to attrition. Was paranoid and hypersensitive to criticism. Phony. Thought clichés were substance.

This undermined his energy and passion, which was real.

Reactions: 9 people
Lack of leadership. Butch allowed players to mutiny Lawson. He made bad hires. Didnt manage his roster, which led to attrition. Was paranoid and hypersensitive to criticism. Phony. Thought clichés were substance.

This undermined his energy and passion, which was real.

Add, was dishonest with his players which eventually led to a toxic culture....players didn’t trust nor did they respect him. Add in he was an awful, incompetent gameday/sideline head coach.

Reactions: 4 people
If the rumors are true, he was having certain players in leadership positions run off players. That kind of juvenile cowardly crap just undermines trust across the board, even among the guys doing the running off. A big reason why prized recruits transfer out. But the same kind of mentality seems business as usual among the mature aged people in leadership positions on Rocky Top.

Put a stop to that, and they might have a chance. Otherwise, it will be two steps forward, one step back, getting nowhere until it blows up in our faces again.

Top 5 reasons

5 - Making Justin Worley run the read/option when he was a pocket QB.
4 - Ignoring the fact that you had a dynamic RB in Alvin Kamara to applease Jalen Hurd. Again, wrong player in your system.
3 - Letting your best defensive player play special teams and get hurt for the remainder of the season - JRM.
2 - Starting Nathan Peterman over Joshua Dobbs at Florida, and letting him stay in for a disastrous half. (Buffalo should have reviewed this tape).
1 - Not going for a TD on the 1 inch line vs Oklahoma.....

Shoot why stop there?

1a - Playing Colton Jumper over ANYONE on the roster.
1b.........

Reactions: 1 person
Add, was dishonest with his players which eventually led to a toxic culture....players didn’t trust nor did they respect him. Add in he was an awful, incompetent gameday/sideline head coach.

Between this and Routsabout's post, this is pretty much the general consensus on the CBJ era and it's collapse. I would add to roustabout's positives of energy and passion, that Jones seemed to have some solid values as a person and was pretty successful at recruiting us out of the absolute roster pit that CDD left for him. These two things were revealed in the "reduction" of off field incidents, improved grades, and reversal of dismal roster to stocking the cupboard. Had his vices not led to the high attrition of those players, then he may still be here or CJP would be ready to compete in 2018.

I like Jones and appreciate him giving it his all. I'm sure he did. But, due to the negatives listed by others above, he just flat got in over his head in the position. It's the absolute highest level of competition in CFB. I'm never sorry for anyone who makes $3-4M/yr and is still getting paid. I wish him well and am glad we were able to move on. He'll land on his feet, and will hopefully learn a lot from this, and is still a young man. He may get another shot at this level in a decade or so.

Comparing Jones to a used car salesman is obviously a jab, but it really isn't completely unfair. Jones is a method guy. All of those made-up sayings, repeated phrases and cliches are part of his shtick.

Obviously, he's very good at it. I'm not saying he's all talk, but he can sell for sure. It's definitely his strongest attribute. He is, however, much weaker, IMO, in many other aspects of running a program.

Look at his HC career. He took over a good program at Central Michigan, enjoyed some success and left after three years. His personality was never fully imprinted on that program. He did the exact same thing at Cincinnati. Again, he was only there three years.

By the fifth year at Tennessee, his fingerprints were all over everything, and like anyone who is a lot more talk than they are walk, he ultimately got exposed. It seemed pretty obvious to me by the middle of the season that he had lost the team.

VN Store

Back