Let's watch film on Tennessee's new quarterback

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I'm embedding a few videos of Keller Chryst from his days at Stanford. Let's talk about it. What do you see? What are his strengths? Any concerns?

Also please post any other quality videos if you find them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pk7HWrJnU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sfRwaV3dVI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFujE1DwHA[/youtube]

Reactions: 18 people
BIG Good looking QB!! Not exactly playing SEC Defenses so we will see!?! Hope he is next Peyton!! :rock:
Wonder why he left Stanford??

Reactions: 4 people
Chryst can move in the pocket and pick up a first down with his feet. Not a burner by no means, but a smart runner when and can throw on the run. Chryst can do what our qb’s couldn’t last year, which is read a defense and be a field general.

Reactions: 12 people
Confidence, poise under pressure, quick decision making, good decision making, puts the ball where only his receivers can get it, quick release, can juke defenders in the open field to get the edge on designed quarterback runs, decent arm, accuracy, and timing were a few of the attributes that seemed to stand out first. The natural size is a bonus. I believe he's the real deal.

Reactions: 6 people
definitely looks the NFL part...if he can wrap his head around the playbook, terminology, and get a little rhythm with the receivers...maybe he can help us then...little more to this QB thing than just slinging the ball...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks for the vid's, Freak! He looks to be calm in the pocket. A little off on some of the throws, but still got the ball to his target.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Freak! I see a big pocket passer - good off of play action - mobile enough in the pocket. Think accuracy is the biggest thing that needs to improve.

Talked to a buddy who lives out on the west coast and watches a ton of Pac 12 ball, seems to think he should strongly compete for the job here - ideal system fit for the new offense we are implementing.

LOVE the team captain part as well. Next year will be tough esp with our schedule.. We'll take all the leaders we can get

It'll be a tough competition between him and JG for starter, but regardless, I'm happy that we now have a serviceable starter and backup, regardless of how things turn out.

Shrout is going to take a few years to develop and I personally don't see McBride succeeding in a pro-style offense.

Positives: Confidence (what QD lacked). Size. Arm strength. Smart runner. Good PA. Lets the receiver make plays (GREAT FOR JJ and CALLOWAY)

Negatives: Throws some dangerous passes, not ideal passing completion %, and played some weak Ds.

If the OL can provide him enough time, I think he can be the difference to put us 2nd in the East. We need a game manager that can make the throws.

BIG Good looking QB!! Not exactly playing SEC Defenses so we will see!?! Hope he is next Peyton!! :rock:
Wonder why he left Stanford??

He graduated. Graduates with eligibility left can go anywhere they want,...given they have an offer. So now he gets some SEC experience on his resume assuming he declares for the draft.

Reactions: 4 people
Positives: Confidence (what QD lacked). Size. Arm strength. Smart runner. Good PA. Lets the receiver make plays (GREAT FOR JJ and CALLOWAY)

Negatives: Throws some dangerous passes, not ideal passing completion %, and played some weak Ds.

If the OL can provide him enough time, I think he can be the difference to put us 2nd in the East. We need a game manager that can make the throws.

I just hope he isn’t a complete statue in the pocket.
In the SEC, even pro style guys have to be able to step up to avoid those fast DEs coming from the backside and sometimes scamper for a few yards .

Reactions: 1 person
He's not scared to pull the ball and run. I'm not here to say names but Quentin Dormandy.

Funny thing... This guy lost his job to a young guy at Stanford, got sour, left his team. Dormady lost his job to JG, left. Has a worse % and rating than JG against far worse teams than the SEC all of which JG played against(with the exception of one game). Somehow this is the second coming.

Reactions: 6 people
Funny thing... This guy lost his job to a young guy at Stanford, got sour, left his team. Dormady lost his job to JG, left. Has a worse % and rating than JG against far worse teams than the SEC all of which JG played against(with the exception of one game). Somehow this is the second coming.

I also think this is something to do with the complexity of the offense meaning he smart the rest of our quarterbacks might not be there so smart

Might be the Stanford system or their level of WR’s, but I don’t see the vertical passing aspect. Lot of 15-20 yarders and dumpoffs. Nothing to hate on but it IS a highlight tape. :)

Thanks for the videos Freak. Before I get too high or too low on these players anymore I'm gonna see what the coaches can do with them first. It looks like he can be pretty good. Same with returning players,can't judge them till this staff works with them.

I think he could benefit alot from being in our offense. If we implement concepts from Coach Joe Osovet's book, I remember reading an article that his offense takes the thinking/planning out of the players pre-snap and its all on the shoulders of the QB to do the thinking. So if he's as smart as these other Stanford folks, he could really help us.

Chryst can move in the pocket and pick up a first down with his feet. Not a burner by no means, but a smart runner when and can throw on the run. Chryst can do what our qb’s couldn’t last year, which is read a defense and be a field general.

He moves better and scrambles better than anyone on the UT roster right now.

VN Store

Back