Do you expect our O-Line to improve this season?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Yes or no?

Last year, it seems like our O-Line could not hold
their blocks very well outside of Trey Smith.

JG & Dormady were under constant pressure resulting in underthrown balls or sacks.

Our O-Line has been one of the main issues since Butch first stepped on campus and I’m hoping it finally gets sorted out.

I expect to see a lot of struggles again this season if the O-Line doesn’t hold up.

So tired of opposing Defensive Lineman swarming to our QBs due to piss poor blocking.

Reactions: 6 people
I hope the line improves but I really don't expect it to happen. I just don't see how they can make up for the lack of development under the previous staff in such a short period of time. That's not intended as a shot at the current staff. It's just they have a lot of ground to make up and that's totally not their fault.

Reactions: 11 people
I believe they will be improved, but results may not be what we want as they have a loooong way to go.

Reactions: 4 people
There's literally nowhere to go but up. I definitely expect to see improvement in the line play. How significant that improvement is will determine how successful this offense can be.

Reactions: 14 people
The O line is the backbone of the offense. I hope our line improves under a new coaching staff. Given the players we have, we can improve. The injury and health issue is huge. There are so many factors in this question and last two years the line had so many issues, I have to take a wait and see approach. Having hope and supporting the coaching staff and players, I'm in.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes or no?

JG & Dormady were under constant pressure resulting in underthrown balls or sacks.

Our O-Line has been one of the main issues since Butch first stepped on campus and I’m hoping it finally gets sorted out.

I expect to see a lot of struggles again this season if the O-Line doesn’t hold up.

So tired of opposing Defensive Lineman swarming to our QBs due to piss poor blocking.

Yes

Yes or no?

I think they will marginally improve. They should be better from a S&C standpoint after this offseason. Just need to limit the injuries, which have just been catastrophic to this point. I've yet to see the scheme compared to what we've done in the past, so I'm not sure if the scheme will help cover up some of the weaknesses. Guys just need to get stronger and healthier, period.

Reactions: 3 people
I definitely think this staff can get more out of Richmond. Smith is going to produce, regardless. Beyond that i don't think we know much of anything about the candidates. Starting over at center and who knows who else steps up. Does Hall return? If so, is he healthy and ready? Last year's like was decimated by injury. Losing Hall and Jones for the year was tough. Jashon was hurt at times. I think if those guys were 100% healthy all year, it would have been Butch's best line.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope the line improves but I really don't expect it to happen. I just don't see how they can make up for the lack of development under the previous staff in such a short period of time. That's not intended as a shot at the current staff. It's just they have a lot of ground to make up and that's totally not their fault.

I fully expect it, or they hired the wrong guys. Am I expecting championship level? No, but a greater attention to detail and competence in teaching tells me there should be a greater focus on fundamentals that will lead to noticeable improvement.

We may know more depending on how much they allow us to see this spring, but I assume Friend is going to know what the Hell he is doing. I believe it will involve some of last year's defensive linemen crossing over and wearing a proper lineman's number, but we got some guys who can do more than guard the water bucket at the end of the bench and tackle anybody that comes near it. And they may be the keys to instant improvement.

If they watch this, yes.

Amazon.com: Phil Fulmer: Offensive Line: Createspace: Amazon Digital Services LLC

Phil Fulmer: Offensive Line 2008
Subtitles and Closed Captions
(3)
Available on Prime

Included with Prime

Continue Watching
Watch From Beginning
More purchase options
Add to Watchlist
This program teaches fundamental techniques, drills and championship philosophy. Learn how to improve your technique and learn from a legend of the game. Phil Fulmer guided the Tennessee Vols for the past 7 years as head coach. During his tenure he has established one of the best win - loss records in the country. His 1998 squad capped off a 13-0 season by winning the National Championship.

Runtime: 1 hour, 4 minutes
Available to watch on supported devices.

Reactions: 5 people
One factor that I think may help is the new offensive system. I fully expect us to run the ball with the QB under center if we have a first and goal again against Florida on the one yard line. That type of system I believe appeals more to offensive linemen than the one we previously used. I do believe Richmond will be better in this system, Smith will be dominant and the newcomers and returning players will be at least as good as last year, not that that is a compliment.

I agree with onevolnation, if Fulmer has influence the line will improve. That is Fulmer's bread and butter. It will take time though. Any improvement would be nice. I can't remember the last time we really had good line play. If Dobbs wasn't so good at scrambling like a scared rabbit we would have been abysmal on offense for all of Butch's term.

if they don't improve immediately, then Pruitt is not our guy. The O line can't get any worse than were they've been the last few years.

So is the o-line going back to the man scheme or sticking with zone? I'm not sure what the schemes are actually called.lol

I believe they will be improved, but results may not be what we want as they have a loooong way to go.

Totally agree here. I believe they wilk show improvement, but its not going to be some kind massive 180 turnaround. I think we will see much better improvement from the OL in 2-3 years.

if they don't improve immediately, then Pruitt is not our guy. The O line can't get any worse than were they've been the last few years.

Improve immediately or he is not our guy? Wow. You are already setting Pruitt up for failure. Why do some Vol fans have unrealistic expectations?

VN Store

Back