Changing spring practice and the weight lifting

Orange defense

Blood runneth orange in my veins
Pruitt outlines Tennessee's plan for spring practice
Love the schedule of the way spring practices will go. I think teaching in between will help. I like the way they are going to implement the weight program. He wants a bigger team on that field by the fall. I think this team will learn his system in no time, and within the first game, they will be willing to go. Pruitt will make them hungry to win. The excitement of a new football coach, with the returning football players will make it fun. The 2018 class will be excited to come in and help this team out. What a way to kick off 2018 against West Virginia.
AS ALWAYS...GO VOLS GO VOLS GO VOLS...:rock::clapping::dance2::good!::pepper:
Let’s try to remain positive, support this team, and let’s see if we can keep the players fired up till September. Let them know somehow that we are fired up behind them...:hi:

Reactions: 38 people
Not to be "that guy"
But the Cov. 7 (Quarters coverage) is a playbook by itself. So, there will be a lot of learning to do. I think we will drill the crap out of fundamental football and be ready to go. However, I don't see us being diverse schematically the first half of the season. He has to teach this team to walk before they can run. I like the enthusiasm... Go vols.

Reactions: 15 people
Not to be "that guy"
But the Cov. 7 (Quarters coverage) is a playbook by itself. So, there will be a lot of learning to do. I think we will drill the crap out of fundamental football and be ready to go. However, I don't see us being diverse schematically the first half of the season. He has to teach this team to walk before they can run. I like the enthusiasm... Go vols.

True. But I’m still in love with Gal Gadot!

Reactions: 11 people
Makes sense priority wise.

Probably lift after practice so a day to repair before on field work?

Not to be "that guy"

The biggest thing I took from saban was the opposite of conventional defensive wisdom. I’d always thought you play cover 1 or 3 on run downs and 4 on passing downs.

Then I heard him at a clinic say that he prefers to close off the middle of the field on 3rd down to force teams to throw deep and outside (low percentage passes). It made a ton of sense. Especially when I realized quarters gives you more run suppprt (basically 9 in the box) if you teach your safeties properly and that quarters is weak deep because against 4 verts you’re one on one. 4 verts vs quarters turns into cover 0.

Reactions: 2 people
I also like the way he's going about things.

1 day in the classroom to teach, watch film and answer questions.

Then off to hit the weights.

Next day on the field to see what they learned, get film to eval from and find out who needs extra work to get down what was taught.

Then off to hit the weights.

I'd guess they'll do upper body 1 day and lower body the next to give the muscles a day off to rest.

It's still going to take LOTS of time to learn everything about the 3-4 so stay patient my friends.

I'd love 8 or 9 Wins but the most important thing is to get back in a bowl game so we get all those extra practice days that we're so badly going to need.

I like what I'm seeing and hearing so far.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 5 people
full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes...gonna be interesting, for sure...daylight and dark difference between Coach P and our previous regime...and,

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
My nephew Brandon told me just facing teams like Alabama and UGA showed how small there team was. He told me there corners was built like linebackers lol. I saw Brandon recently and he has put on so much muscle since Pruitt came. Its like u can see the results. Look out for breakout season.

Reactions: 18 people
3 years before system is firmly working, on and off the field. This defense will take 2 years to learn.

My nephew Brandon told me just facing teams like Alabama and UGA showed how small there team was. He told me there corners was built like linebackers lol. I saw Brandon recently and he has put on so much muscle since Pruitt came. Its like u can see the results. Look out for breakout season.

Not to doubt you or your nephew, but how to you put on muscle in 45-60 days that you can see with out some kind of "help"? 60 days is not much time to make a visual change in a persons body, at least for me to see.

Reactions: 2 people
No offense nor defense takes two years to learn.

Guess we will see, My experience is a wholesale change to a totally new system, terminology, assignment, etc.. takes one year to learn and by second year should begin to be effective w/o horrible mistakes, ie busted coverage with WRs running 25 yards away from nearest defender etc,, JMO

Great to hear

Not to doubt you or your nephew, but how to you put on muscle in 45-60 days that you can see with out some kind of "help"? 60 days is not much time to make a visual change in a persons body, at least for me to see.

You can make a nice change in 2 months with proper nutrition and strength work.

Reactions: 12 people
3 years before system is firmly working, on and off the field. This defense will take 2 years to learn.

Pruitt runs a D similar to Saban. Saban arrived at Bama facing a lot of personnel problems. In his first year, they allowed 22 ppg. Good. Not great. He did NOT have his personnel or even "great" personnel. Shula's leftovers were spotty and then some of them had to be separated from the program.

In year 2, he took the leftovers plus a bunch of new young players. They allowed 14.3 ppg and won the West with an undefeated regular season. That's "firmly working".

My point is that if Pruitt is the right coach... it won't take 3 years to work or 2 years to learn. Results will come MUCH sooner.

Reactions: 7 people

Not to state the obvious but Jones spent so much time working on the "fine details of building a winning football program" that he totally whiffed on the basics of building a winning football team. He consistently overcomplicated things.

S&C guys are usually professionals who will try to program what a coach asks for. Jones appeared to try to micromanage them to a significant degree too.

Here is full rules of 7 switch.

Overhang has #2 up and in and will cut 1 if 2 out. Unless #2 is fast to the flat, then he will take him man. If #2 is out but not out fast he will move with him but eye #1. outside release he will take take #2 man to man. inside release he will cut 1. If you get a dagger concept though he will be running with #2 vertical and eyeing #1 on the dig. if he runs the dig you will come off of #2 and play the dig.

Corner is meg or cone based on the release of #1

Safety has #2 out man unless it is fast. If it's not fast he is eyeing #1 release, if outside release he will double 2, but inside release he will double 1. If 2 goes in he will rob 1 with inside release but vision qb with outside release. if 2 goes vertical he will eye release of 1. 1 outside double 2, 1 inside double 1 but he will play the first break of 1 and 2 if both go vertical and then one break off.

Ilb has #3 man to man.

Essentially they are switching who they play cone on based on the release of 2 and 1. That's why it's called switch.

This is just one variation of cover 7
switch
bracket
clamp
cone
meg
mod
stubbie
stump
zeke
clip

Many more coverages will be run as well. Yeah it will take some time to learn.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back