Is UT really without talent?

secking

Most of the time you see recruiting rankings, the potential doesn’t come to fruition until Jr and Sr years of that class even tho a lot expect them to contribute immediately. So, the leaders you look for come from the 2014 (redshirts) and 2015 classes. Both of those classes finished top 5.

UT will always out ‘talent’ 2/3 of the teams they face each year. Only teams on the schedule this year with more talent are Fla, UGA, Bama.

Reactions: 2 people
Most of the time you see recruiting rankings, the potential doesn’t come to fruition until Jr and Sr years of that class even tho a lot expect them to contribute immediately. So, the leaders you look for come from the 2014 (redshirts) and 2015 classes. Both of those classes finished top 5.

UT will always out ‘talent’ 2/3 of the teams they face each year. Only teams on the schedule this year with more talent are Fla, UGA, Bama.

Add Auburn to the other 3 with more talent.

Also, our team was so poorly developed and mismanaged by the last staff it’s hard to know who was overrated and who can play at a high level in the Sec with the right coaching. I’ve advocated getting the roster turned over as quickly as possible, while believing that there are some talented guys already on the team who will undoubtedly flourish and contribute with JP and gang far beyond what they did under Lyle.

Reactions: 3 people

Tennessee doesn't have alot of talent. The talent it does have is widely under developed.

Out of high school I think we had a lot of talented kids. Not only did some of our kids not get developed properly under the previous staff, I honestly believe some of them got worse. This year will be a struggle, but I'm pumped anyway. GBO

to me there is some talent left, just look at the roster and who's coming back...now, how that talent is developed and used is another matter...we're in limbo right now and will have to wait and see how it plays out...I mean, new coach, new recruits coming in, supposedly a new scheme will be instituted eventually...so much unknown right now, but heck we should be used to limbo by now...this staff will tell us more as the new season begins...and, as always...

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
We need a different breed of player. Flipping the roster can't happen fast enough.

We can only go up from here, don't see how we can get worse than last year. That was abysmal at the least.

Might look at Auburn, West Virginia, and if Vols get banged up maybe more

Derek Mason and Vanderbilt concur that the Vols are indeed very soft and that their 0-8 SEC record confirms this fact:cray:

Reactions: 6 people
Tennessee has enough talent to compete in the SEC. The "we have no talent" line is nothing more than an excuse.
The players have had very little development and the expectations for them were obviously set pretty low by the previous staff. A great coach will win at least 7-8 games with this bunch.

Let's look at a few players that we know definitely have some "talent".
T. Smith, Byrd, Chandler, Warrior, Bituli, Shamburger, Kirkland... these guys will probably ALL be NFLer's. And that's just a few of the quality players on the roster.

There are plenty more that need to be developed into SEC players. I don't think talent is really the most glaring need.

I think coaching, development and confidence are the most glaring factors missing from this team the last few years.

IF CJP is the coach we all hope he is... It won't take long to get these guys winning SEC games.

BTW... WVU is NOWHERE near as talented as UT. They are much better coached on offense and their defense is "offensive".

Reactions: 9 people

"UT will always out ‘talent’ 2/3 of the teams they face each year. Only teams on the schedule this year with more talent are Fla, UGA, Bama."

UT could not out talent anyone in the SEC last year, NoOne:popcorn:

From another thread... a potential 2 deep look.

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

There is some talent here and guys like Crosby (prototypical NG) isn't even on the list. He was rated one of the BEST DT's in the Commonwealth of VA! Last I checked, VA has some talent.

DEVELOP, DEVELOP, DEVELOP...

Reactions: 4 people
It will take 2 years.. The team will be very big/fast by the fall of 2020...

I posted a while back the coaching records of several coaches generally considered good coaches. In nearly every case, you could tell by year two how it was going to go.

The biggest area to get better is in the trenches. We lost at the line of scrimmage under Butch on both sides of the ball. That’s why the Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd team didn’t win a SEC championship with all that talent.

I posted a while back the coaching records of several coaches generally considered good coaches. In nearly every case, you could tell by year two how it was going to go.

You are EXACTLY right!!! Most good to great coaches see HUGE improvements by year TWO!

This 5-7 year "rebuild" stuff is pure bull****.

We'll know very soon if CJP is our Smart or just another Dooley/Jones.

Our biggest problem, in my opinion, is the lack of quality depth. When the injuries happen that's when we'll be in trouble.

Poor development and the fact that Jones' poor "caretaking" of the program resulted in a lot of guys having serious or even career changing injuries.

It is really hard not to be angry with some of you guys who now dog him who previously defended and excused him. You attacked some of us for pointing out the very things that "everyone" seems to see now. They were always there. ALWAYS. You just had to be willing to open your eyes and see.

PLEASE don't make the same mistake with Pruitt if he starts showing serious deficiencies as a HC.

Reactions: 4 people
It is really hard not to be angry with some of you guys who now dog him who previously defended and excused him. You attacked some of us for pointing out the very things that "everyone" seems to see now. They were always there. ALWAYS. You just had to be willing to open your eyes and see.

PLEASE don't make the same mistake with Pruitt if he starts showing serious deficiencies as a HC.

This x100,000!!! VN coach worship at its worst.

My fear is that CJP is not starting from "ground zero" with many of the players. My fear is there are some below zero, because of the ineptitude of the last coach and the bad habits and so called technique they were potentially brainwashed with. He's likely going have to say "forget everything you've learned since high school" and we're going to start over.

On a side thought: Was it just me or did anyone else look at pictures and videos of practices and think that it looked like BJ went through the catalog of practice/learning equipment and bought every gimmick item they sold?

I think a lot of the talent jumped ship during the coaching debacle. Guys like Kahlil McKenzie and Kelly declaring for the draft early. Man I would love to still have Kahlil McKenzie. He would have made the perfect NG in a 3-4 Bama type defense (which I am sure is where we are headed).

Poor development and the fact that Jones' poor "caretaking" of the program resulted in a lot of guys having serious or even career changing injuries.

True story.

VN Store

Back