UT Defense 2 Deep - Early View

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
D4H says Tennessee will have the 1st or 2nd best defense in the SEC and be top 10 nationally.

17 of the 22 in the defensive 2 deep will be 1st round draft picks. The number is kind of low because of lack of development that occurred under Butch.

Reactions: 24 people
Best dedense in the country!

And the thing about all these early two-deeps is that they are:

1. full of talent
2. so deep everybody forgets somebody good

Been a while since that happened.

Reactions: 2 people
We're screwed even if none of these guys get hurt. And Pruitt says we're too small, so all of these Guys will be hurt at some point this year.

Side note: that Pruitt comment is red flag #1 up there with Dooleys shower discipline and Jones' circle of life drill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Kongbo and Phillips will start across from each other imo.

Not sure about that.. they're both undersized and soft for this scheme.... rather hv 1 on field at same time.... wouldn't be shocked if neither started bc they both were horrible last year...

It's Posdible Matthew Butler could start at a DE position at 290...

Reactions: 5 people
We're screwed even if none of these guys get hurt. And Pruitt says we're too small, so all of these Guys will be hurt at some point this year.

Side note: that Pruitt comment is red flag #1 up there with Dooleys shower discipline and Jones' circle of life drill.

Huh? I fail to see how any of that makes sense.

Reactions: 13 people
My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.
Ignont and Paul Bain at?

Reactions: 1 person

Where you at uncle Lou tonight, tomorrow, and the next day bashing Tennessee?:thud::):eek:k:

Kongbo and Phillips will start across from each other imo.

Kongbo needs to get better, quick. I know many here love him, but to me, he always looked out of position and rarely made any big plays. I think he’d be better inside. He doesn’t appear to have the quickness and athleticism for DE.

Reactions: 16 people
Kongbo needs to get better, quick. I know many here love him, but to me, he always looked out of position and rarely made any big plays. I think he’d be better inside. He doesn’t appear to have the quickness and athleticism for DE.

We don’t run the 4-3. He’ll be a 3-4 DE.

How about this one Butchna...
Hey coach have you spotted any leaders on the team yet...

The coaches will be the leaders of the team..:rock:

Like that! :) Some on here will groan and equate that with a Butch line. Still like it.

Reactions: 4 people
A defense that has not stopped anyone in years and is now switching to the 3-4 will be a top 5 SEC defense? I seriously doubt this will be case.

Defense will improve relatively quickly, due to coaching. Offense (line) will be the Achilles heel until remedied. No one knows, but I would bet on top 5 SEC defense next year.

Agree...

VN Store

Back