Shrout in QB Mix for 2018 per Helton

Glocker_Alum_2005

I keep reading he's a "project", but according to this article, quoting Helton "...you're (fans) going to see an offense that is an exciting offense that is going to pound it out, that is going to run the ball and be a big-play offense...that quarterback that we just signed can help us do that." Maybe reading between the lines here but seems Shrout may have a legitimate shot at QB1 sooner than later.

New Vols offensive coordinator Tyson Helton wants to run the ball, throw deep | Times Free Press

Reactions: 14 people
It's going to pound- it- out and big play. I guess those two things aren't mutually exclusive, but it sounds like something a Matt Groening character would promise. I'm all about the excitement of Tennessee being ahead with all zeroes on the time clock. Exciting, pound- it- out, here we come!

Reactions: 3 people
They have barely met these guys. They have seen some film but at this point there are no locks for any coach with an open mind, on any positions on this team. Lets get though spring practice and then we sort of set a 3 deep line up.

I keep reading he's a "project", but according to this article, quoting Helton "...you're (fans) going to see an offense that is an exciting offense that is going to pound it out, that is going to run the ball and be a big-play offense...that quarterback that we just signed can help us do that." Maybe reading between the lines here but seems Shrout may have a legitimate shot at QB1 sooner than later.

New Vols offensive coordinator Tyson Helton wants to run the ball, throw deep | Times Free Press

Are you MAD, man? Do you know what you just started? :scare:

Reactions: 4 people
They have barely met these guys. They have seen some film but at this point there are no locks for any coach with an open mind, on any positions on this team. Lets get though spring practice and then we sort of set a 3 deep line up.

Screw that logic. We're naming starters today!

Reactions: 4 people
He won't be on campus until June, so I wouldn't expect much from him in year one. Especially with only one year of starting football in him. He'll have a steep learning curve with little time to tackle it. Dude can throw it though.

I wouldn't count out that PWO QB just yet either.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't count out that PWO QB just yet either.

Yep keep forgetting about him...he did have some FBS offers and Nebraska, I think. I read in the RF that Chyrst is out of the mix as well...guess there are few other GTs out there:

NC State: Jalan McClendon (****)
FSU: J.J. Consentino (****)
Mich: Wilton Speight (***)
Miami: Evan Shireffs (***--word is transf 2 good MBA program)
Illinois: Jeff George, Jr. (**)

Helton's O needs a QB who is a good student, puts time in the film room and playbook, and shows both maturity and a great mental grasp of the game.

If JG had been those things he would have been the starter by the end of Spring last year. He best tighten up or he'll be passed by whoever does those things.

Reactions: 10 people
You guys forget JG is not typical dual threat, he is a good passer with strong arm. He was stuck in an offense that forced him to do spread crap behind worst OLine scheme I have ever seen and a OC who only had 5 plays. I am sure he will prosper in Helton's offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I say ride with Jeff George, Jr. Look what a great job Matt Simms did for us. Well he did get his block knocked off against Bama in 2011.

Anyone who says Guarantano or McBride impressed them must have a 400 lb wife because there was nothing to be impressed with and the Guarantano opinions borderline racism.

One side doesnt want to badmouth him because theyre afraid to and the other side dont want to because they feel obligated to support him.

I dont think anyone who recruited Will McBride ever intended for him to be a starter here and then there's Shrout.

An NFL arm who needs to learn a new system.

I believe Guarantano and McBride are sub par talents who need to learn a new system.

Which one do you prefer?

Unless youre opinion is only talent related and not racially motivated dont answer.

Reactions: 5 people
That tells me they think the upperclassmen suck

Just from what I've read lately, Shrout is the type QB he wants and neither JG or McBride are what he prefers.. Neither are true pocket passers so it will be interesting to watch. Just wish Shrout could be here for Spring Practice. Its no secret they are going after a Grad Transfer QB for that exact reason. Think it could be Chryst or a QB similar.

Last edited:
It's going to pound- it- out and big play. I guess those two things aren't mutually exclusive, but it sounds like something a Matt Groening character would promise. I'm all about the excitement of Tennessee being ahead with all zeroes on the time clock. Exciting, pound- it- out, here we come!

Run the ball and deep play action passes

Anyone who says Guarantano or McBride impressed them must have a 400 lb wife because there was nothing to be impressed with and the Guarantano opinions borderline racism.

One side doesnt want to badmouth him because theyre afraid to and the other side dont want to because they feel obligated to support him.

I dont think anyone who recruited Will McBride ever intended for him to be a starter here and then there's Shrout.

An NFL arm who needs to learn a new system.

I believe Guarantano and McBride are sub par talents who need to learn a new system.

Which one do you prefer?

Unless youre opinion is only talent related and not racially motivated dont answer.

It's very difficult to make any well-informed assessments about the talent of any of them at this point. Probably best just to let it play out in spring ball and fall camp and see who makes the cut.

VN Store

Back