Doesn’t DKJr have a redshirt from last year?

pharmDvol11

UT website lists him as a true Senior on the 2018 roster. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he missed the entire 2017 season following knee surgery. Should he be granted at least a medical redshirt and reclassify as a RS-JR? What gives?

Reactions: 1 person
UT website lists him as a true Senior on the 2018 roster. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he missed the entire 2017 season following knee surgery. Should he be granted at least a medical redshirt and reclassify as a RS-JR? What gives?

They do that. Don’t get worked up. Doesn’t even need a medical redshirt...he got a regular version. If he missed a small part of another season, he’d be eligible for a medical.

Reactions: 4 people
They do that. Don’t get worked up. Doesn’t even need a medical redshirt...he got a regular version. If he missed a small part of another season, he’d be eligible for a medical.

Thats not how it works.

A medical redshirt is when a player has played a certain # of games, which would nullify the ability to redshirt.
But, gets injured, is granted a medical redshirt and gets the entire year back.
A MR is not an additional redshirt. For any player to get a 6th they have to apply for a special exemption, and very few get it.

Reactions: 2 people

You’re right that he should be a redshirt jr

Thats not how it works.

A medical redshirt is when a player has played a certain # of games, which would nullify the ability to redshirt.
But, gets injured, is granted a medical redshirt and gets the entire year back.
A MR is not an additional redshirt. For any player to get a 6th they have to apply for a special exemption, and very few get it.

You don’t get a medical redshirt INSTEAD of a standard redshirt. If your first redshirt was due to medical reasons, you’re ELIGIBLE to apply for a medical redshirt. That’s why Jerry Colquitt was denied after getting injured 3 plays in against UCLA. He redshirted his first season and there was nothing medical related. Cost us Marcus Jackson also after he voluntarily redshirted his senior season and then got injured the following preseason.

You don’t get a medical redshirt INSTEAD of a standard redshirt. If your first redshirt was due to medical reasons, you’re ELIGIBLE to apply for a medical redshirt. That’s why Jerry Colquitt was denied after getting injured 3 plays in against UCLA. He redshirted his first season and there was nothing medical related. Cost us Marcus Jackson also after he voluntarily redshirted his senior season and then got injured the following preseason.
I don't think you followed my post, and I think I misread yours.
A player cannot take two redshirts, one regular and one medical, unless they apply for a medical hardship foe a 6th year of eligibility.

The 5 year clock is ticking period.

-The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
-The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
-The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
-The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

The point of the comment is that Kirkland had not redshirted, period. He doesn't have to provide medical reasons since he didnt play any games, much less 30%.
So, yes, he should be listed as a RS junior.

I don't think you followed my post, and I think I misread yours.
A player cannot take two redshirts, one regular and one medical, unless they apply for a medical hardship foe a 6th year of eligibility.

The 5 year clock is ticking period.

-The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
-The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
-The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
-The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

The point of the comment is that Kirkland had not redshirted, period. He doesn't have to provide medical reasons since he didnt play any games, much less 30%.
So, yes, he should be listed as a RS junior.

So he was REDSHIRTED. Which was my point. And because it’s been documented that it was for medical reasons, he’s eligible to APPLY for an extra year of eligibility if he loses another season due to an injury. And they refer to that as a “medical redshirt” no matter what the hell it actually is. If they had simply redshirted him with no medical documentation, then he WOULD NOT be eligible to apply for another year if he is again injured.

Reactions: 2 people
?

Attachments

• 42F69055-A2F9-437D-96CB-EE38C0302E6A.png
    42F69055-A2F9-437D-96CB-EE38C0302E6A.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

I got 2 red shirts at the Sweetwater flea market last weekend just in case anyone was interested.

VN Store

Back