Recruiting is Important but.....

Manning Up

Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Coaching is imperative. That starts now. I believe that this coaching staff will develop our 3 star recruits into 4 star players and our 4 star recruits into 5 star players. Peterson? I suspect he will be All SEC by his sophomore year and a 1st Team All American in his junior year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Here's what this staff has to do to make Vol Nation happy
Beat the following teams in 2018
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
UTEP
ETSU
Charlotte
One of the following (West Virginia, Florida, Missouri)

To make us giddy
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
UTEP
ETSU
Charlotte
Two of the following (West Virginia, Florida, Missouri)
Or One of the above and one of these (Alabama, Georgia)

To make us jump the moon joyous, the second list plus any other wins

I think this new staff should make us happy and has an excellent shot at giddy :)

Reactions: 1 person
Stopping attrition and getting some luck with injuries (which have been worse than anything I can remember over 46 years of following)

Coaching is imperative. That starts now. I believe that this coaching staff will develop our 3 star recruits into 4 star players and our 4 star recruits into 5 star players. Patterson? I suspect he will be All SEC by his sophomore year and a 1st Team All American in his junior year.

Patterson?

Reactions: 2 people
The biggest thing is recruiting great players that fit your needs, and then keeping and developing them.

Butch never did that - he was always a winner on national signing day, not so much the rest of the year.

I hope Pruitt can do better next year - he needs a lot of help at QB and I'm not sure he got it this year.

I hope he can coach up what's on the roster.

Last edited:
Coaching is imperative. That starts now. I believe that this coaching staff will develop our 3 star recruits into 4 star players and our 4 star recruits into 5 star players. Patterson? I suspect he will be All SEC by his sophomore year and a 1st Team All American in his junior year.

I feel like you should know our player's names before declaring them future All Americans....or starting a thread

Reactions: 3 people
There is no "but" after "recruiting is important."

Yeah.

Recruiting is life blood

BUT

rankings in recruiting are a matter of opinion.

There are cases where the number 17th ranked recruiting class is just as talented as a 5th ranked one. In the same year.

This is what people don't consider enough.

Don't just...go by stars and offers. Look at the video.

Yeah.

Recruiting is life blood

BUT

rankings in recruiting are a matter of opinion.

There are cases where the number 17th ranked recruiting class is just as talented as a 5th ranked one. In the same year.

This is what people don't consider enough.

Don't just...go by stars and offers. Look at the video.

The recruiting rankings are an accurate measure of the relative strengths of the classes but you're splitting hairs if you think the 14th rated class is consequentially better than 20th rated class. Georgia blew everyone else in the SEC away at number 1 and Bama is somewhat behind at 8 then everyone else is bunched up in the teens (okay technically Auburn is 12 and Tennessee is 20) but the point is if late in the season Auburn was ranked 12th in the AP football poll and Tennessee was 20th and they were playing on a neutral field the game would most often be considered a toss up because their records would be very close 8-1 vs. 7-2 or something. No one but the Dawgs and maybe Bama had a run away good year over the rest of the SEC.

You can’t bring a mule to the Kentucky derby and expect to win, unfortunately there are several thoroughbreds Tennessee has to compete against.

You can coach em up but that only goes so far. If you got 2 teams with equal coaching but one has better players at almost every position it's not hard to guess which team wins. It's obvious Alabama and Georgia have both the players and the good coaching to succeed in every game they play. Tennessee can get there but it won't happen this season. Hopefully this season lays down the foundation for the next 5 or so to be really good to great. No matter what Go Vols, and ball out.

Awesome stuff.

But what if Smart develops his 5 stars into 6 stars?

And who is Patterson?

Butch recruited very good. Dooley recruited well. If you cannot coach and develop, then you are screwed.

Very true.
I will also add if you don't sign the top notch talent to coach up, you will never consistently compete with much less beat the competition that does.
It's kind of the chicken vs egg thing.

Jones liked recruiting nice guys expect for Barnett who has a lot of DOG in him...Barnett was a baller which many of Jones recruits were just players

It's easy to look at UGA's class and see that it is a monster. As you move down the board it is difficult to predict future success and I think a lot of that lies at the feet of the services that seem to overrate a lot of prospects based on which camps they attend and how they may perform against over matched HS competition. There is a line beyond which it is reasonable to say that you're going to have a very difficult time competing in the SEC if you cannot recruit above. I'd put that line somewhere around top 40. I'm not saying that you'll win the SEC with a roster full of classes that ranked in the 30s but at that talent level you should be able to put together a squad that can consistently make bowl games and occasionally knock off a big boy. I don't care that this class is #20. If it had been #15 or #35, I don't think it would make much difference. The problem, as observant fans know, is that we have some gaping holes that are going to be almost impossible to cover up if we have any more injuries or attrition by voluntary departure, both of which it seems reasonable to expect. CJP knows this and that's why he said not to put too much pressure on this class, which is a more tactful way of declaring Year Zero. We are at least three seasons away from being in a position to compete for the division again and that's assuming that we get every break possible on the field and on the recruiting trail over the next couple of years. I honestly don't see us having that kind of luck and I don't see a first time head coach avoiding the pitfalls and poor decisions that can plague a rebuild, even with Fulmer's counsel.

Recruiting is important but....winning is importanter!! In college it is more about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s then the X’s and O’s. The NFL on the other hand where the talent levels are closer are more about the X’s and O’s.
Pruitt realizes this. That’s why he went so heavy in to the junior college ranks to look for players who can help now.

This thread is confusing me... can someone please tell me how many stars we need to win!?!

66 stars are needed to win, if you include the four special teams...at 11 players for each of the six units...offense, defense, FG, FG Defense, Kickoff & Kick Return...

:)

VN Store

Back