Pruitt doing as well or better than Butch in recruiting already.

JCP201

VFL GIRL, better or worse.
Anyone can look this up--- Pruitt wasn't the failure that so many want to believe, the early signing period has thrown people off..(and Georgia success)

Rivals we are ranked #20 with 9 four stars. (if you care about stars)

Butch Jones: 2017: ranked 15, 9 four stars

Butch Jones 2016 #15 1 five star (Kongbo) 10 four stars

Ranked number 22 his first year with 5 four stars.

247: we are ranked number 20 with 8 four stars.

Butch Jones (2017) Ranked number 17 with four four stars and 1 five star (Trey)
Butch Jones (2016) ranked #14 10 four stars
Butch Jones first year (2013) ranked #25, four four star..

So, not a failure and pretty good when you compare to Butch which everyone says was a great recruiter) We did have top 5 classes in 2014 and 2015, but Pruitt has just started (only been here two months) and already doing better or as well as Butch his first year and the last two years

Also, I'm assuming Jeremy Pruitt is a much better coach --some Bama kids say he was the beset coach they ever had. So, we have a guy who might even coach them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
As are most followers of "great recruits" you seem to be star struck. As Butch proved, you can be wading as- deep in star dust and nothing great will happen if you can't teach and coach. Don't get me wrong star recruits can make life easier for teachers and coaches, but really good teaching and coaching can make bright lights of dim stars...

Reactions: 4 people
As are most followers of "great recruits" you seem to be star struck. As Butch proved, you can be wading as- deep in star dust and nothing great will happen if you can't teach and coach. Don't get me wrong star recruits can make life easier for teachers and coaches, but really good teaching and coaching can make bright lights of dim stars...

No, the opposite, (See Rick Barnes BB team owning Kentucky) but for those who feel negative because of the class ranking, I figure that I'd put this out there.

Although CJP hasn't been a head coach, he certainly gets accolades from other coaches and players as being a great defensive coach and his staff is very good. I think there is a great chance we will have a good recruiter and a coach who actually teaches and improves the players.

Reactions: 1 person
"Pruitt doing as well or better than Butch in recruiting already."

My 10th-grade English teacher at Daniel Boone High, Miss Amy Hamilton, would have cracked her 12-inch ruler across your knuckles and made you correct your lead-in to read: "Pruitt is doing as well as Butch in recruiting, or better."

Class dismissed.

My 10th-grade English teacher at Daniel Boone High, Miss Amy Hamilton, would have cracked her 12-inch ruler across your knuckles and made you correct your lead-in to read: "Pruitt is doing as well as Butch in recruiting, or better."

Class dismissed.

Never was good at English, aight?

Reactions: 6 people
Anyone can look this up--- Pruitt wasn't the failure that so many want to believe, the early signing period has thrown people off..(and Georgia success)

Rivals we are ranked #20 with 9 four stars. (if you care about stars)

Butch Jones: 2017: ranked 15, 9 four stars

Butch Jones 2016 #15 1 five star (Kongbo) 10 four stars

Ranked number 22 his first year with 5 four stars.

247: we are ranked number 20 with 8 four stars.

Butch Jones (2017) Ranked number 17 with four four stars and 1 five star (Trey)
Butch Jones (2016) ranked #14 10 four stars
Butch Jones first year (2013) ranked #25, four four star..

So, not a failure and pretty good when you compare to Butch which everyone says was a great recruiter) We did have top 5 classes in 2014 and 2015, but Pruitt has just started (only been here two months) and already doing better or as well as Butch his first year and the last two years

Also, I'm assuming Jeremy Pruitt is a much better coach --some Bama kids say he was the beset coach they ever had. So, we have a guy who might even coach them up.

I like the optimism, but everything you said could be and was said about Butch (and then some). And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Butch's two Top Ten classes until Pruitt has proven he can sign one on his own.

When Butch came to UT, he had coached some great players (i.e., Antonio Brown and Eric Fisher). He had respected coaches and college football analysts singing his praises. And unlike Pruitt, he actually had a record as a head coach -- and not a bad one at that.

Class dismissed.

Either way you say it, it's still not a factual statement.

Reactions: 2 people
I do agree with the OP's sentiment, however, bear in mind that Butch inherited a significantly worse mess than Pruitt.

Reactions: 7 people
Butch wanted guys who want to pick up trash on campus.. seems like now we are wanting to recruit mean ballers.. like it

Either way you say it, it's still not a factual statement.

It's actually very factual and very easy to prove. Butch's first class was #25 on 247 with 4 *4 recruits based on their site. JP's was #20 with 8 *4 and 11 are a *4 on atleast 1 of the services. Facts 100% back that up and he did it with a new early signing period, is following the worst year ever for Vol football and the trainwreck that followed until Fulmer replaced Currie. Even with all those things,throw in being a HC for the very first time also he still had a better first recruiting class. That's as factual as you can get nothing can disprove that.

Class dismissed.

Ed, your 10th grade English teacher sounds special. :)

Reactions: 2 people
I do agree with the OP's sentiment, however, bear in mind that Butch inherited a significantly worse mess than Pruitt.

I respectfully disagree. Butch wasn't following the worst year in Vol Football history, didn't have the Currie debacle and the daily horrible publicity. Butch didn't have to be in scramble mode day 1 either because of the early signing period. JP does inherit a better overall roster than Butch but still lacks depth and the unknowns from all the guys recovering from injuries.

Reactions: 3 people

Roster-wise, probably, but not when it comes to the national perception of the program.

It's going to take more than two months to wash off the stink of an 0-8 SEC record and the train wreck of a coaching search/AD debacle that followed.

Bottom line: 1) Butch Jones is/was a joke. 2) Too many TN fans supported him waaaayyy too long. 3) Pruitt is completely an unknown quantity. 4) This recruiting class does not define his success, BUT it would have been nice to have had a good omen, and closed the class better than he did.

The big question will be how many stay... Jones would loose 50% of each class

Good point.

Jones managed to run off enough talent to fill an SEC starting roster in his time here.

Feel like Pruitt will be much more personable and not see those levels of attrition.

Class dismissed.

Glad to see they have such fine teaching at Daniel Boone. I went to Central, so I really didn't see any issues with the post.

I’m disappointed in the results this year but I expect him to do much better next.

He gained ground on a lot of guys and seemed to be in it for them in the end ( I know, 2nd place is the first loser) but maybe with time to build relationships he’ll improve in next years rankings.

It's actually very factual and very easy to prove. Butch's first class was #25 on 247 with 4 *4 recruits based on their site. JP's was #20 with 8 *4 and 11 are a *4 on atleast 1 of the services. Facts 100% back that up and he did it with a new early signing period, is following the worst year ever for Vol football and the trainwreck that followed until Fulmer replaced Currie. Even with all those things,throw in being a HC for the very first time also he still had a better first recruiting class. That's as factual as you can get nothing can disprove that.

The '13 and '18 classes were both in the 20-25 range, with so many varying circumstances that it's impossible to say that one is clearly better than the other. At best, you can make the argument that they're comparable. And whether people want to admit it now, or not, Butch was in a much more difficult situation. His 20-25 class was a lot more impressive than Pruitt's, IMO. The writer of this 2016 SI article would probably agree:Re-ranking-2013 College Football Recruiting Classes.

Keep in mind that the class you're giving Pruitt so much credit for was made-up mostly of Butch's recruits. Whatever you want to say about Butch, he proved that he could recruit Top 10 classes. Pruitt hasn't proven anything yet and that's just the plain truth.

Roster-wise, probably, but not when it comes to the national perception of the program.

It's going to take more than two months to wash off the stink of an 0-8 SEC record and the train wreck of a coaching search/AD debacle that followed.

People forget how bad 2013 was. Or maybe they don't remember. The national perception then was that we were a spoiled and ungrateful fan base that ran-off a legend and then got jilted by his replacement after one season. They laughed at us and accused us of being a bunch of rioting rednecks, because one jackass burned a mattress. People said we would be lucky to get anyone to come and coach our team. And we proved them wrong by hiring Dooley. It was baaad.

Wow! Will the jones fan boys ever admit they backed a con-artist as our HC? We now have a real Football Coach, not a life coach, I believe we'll be ready to get it on, as soon as the season kicks off.:hi:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back