The QB situation (merged)

Dougie_D

Either our coaches don't think our current QB's are a "right fit" or our coaches don't want to try to develop QB's.

The reason why I am concerned is because

A. Dormady decided to transfer, but he's more Pro Style.
B. JG is only a R-Sophomore.
C. Too many articles suggesting we are getting a Grad Transfer (1 year basically)
D. Only Jancek is the oldest now. We have a very young QB core to develop.

Thoughts?

They probably want to get one with experience, so they can develop JG, WM, and Shrout. I really don’t blame them for trying to get one in this recruiting cycle. Ready to play. If not, then JG will probably be the starter..

Reactions: 6 people
Trust the process.

Oops. Sorry, that was the last guy that was here.

My only thought is that competition makes the team better. I would like to see how coach Helton and Pruitt will develop our QBs during spring and open this up as a three man competition for the job.

Reactions: 2 people
Either our coaches don't think our current QB's are a "right fit" or our coaches don't want to try to develop QB's.

C. Too many articles suggesting we are getting a Grad Transfer (1 year basically)

Thoughts?

Only a RS sophomore? That's a Junior. Time to put up or shut up. And we need depth and someone who can get it done if he can't

Reactions: 6 people
Every head coach wants "their" guy at QB.

Not too worried at this point and I would expect they want to red shirt Shrout so bringing in a grad transfer makes sense.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm higher on JG than most, but the real problem is that he's the only serviceable QB on the roster. Shrout is a project who isn't going to be ready for a few years minimum. VN is dramatically overrating McBride; his stats were awful and he was a horrendous passer. He needs a ton of work to be able to fit into a pro-style system and I'm not optimistic he'll ever get there. We probably don't want to have to throw a walk-on into a game, so that basically leaves us with 1 guy who can play QB in a pro-style system in the SEC next season.

I definitely think going after a grad transfer is a smart move with Dormady gone. Worst case is that our 2nd string QB is a lot better; best case is that he could come in and take over as starter immediately, leaving JG as the likely starter in 2019. Right now, if JG gets injured early in the season, we could be staring at a 3-win season.

Reactions: 7 people
Since we don't have one it should concern you. I'm hoping that by this time next year that position won't be in such a state of crisis. And that's not overstatement. Time will tell. right now we are in full-on Worleybird territory.

A solid grad transfer with Guarantano backing him up and Shrout redshirting would be ideal.

All we can really hope for is 6 wins and a bowl game anyway.

I don't know about most of you, but I really do not feel that JG is going to be that great of a QB for us. He hasn't shown me one glimpse of GREATNESS. Sure, he has shown grit, toughness and that he can take a hard hit and get right back up and brush himself off, which I admire. But, the point here is that his arm strength is way overrated and that he isn't that accurate of a thrower. He is ok, but not GOOD. He doesn't show me flashes of a 5 star dual-threat QB at all. Look at the Tua Taglioulia Freshman from Alabama. Do you think JG could pull that kind of performance off in the clutch? lol Not even close. Im sorry, but I just don't see it. No way he should have been ranked #1 dual-threat QB coming out of HS. I mean the guy was named Mr. New Jersey! Personally, I think he sucks and is not the answer for our Vols.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: 9 people

Thoughts?

True Sophomore and a True Freshman played in National Championship game this year. True Freshman did last year too.
If there is talent at and around QB it isn't a problem.
JG will be RS-Sophomore (Junior in essence) and McBride a Sophomore .. that is better or similar situation in terms of 'Classification' that both GA and Alabama will have next season.
Not sure what your concerns are

What did you expect with the coaching and players around him? He faced all bowl and or SEC teams each start.

61.9% overall and 65.1% vs SEC teams is pretty accurate.

He lead some great drives with us down already. We would have won the SC game on a late drive if not for a drop in the endzone.

I don't know what some of you expect. People who actually get paid to analyze this stuff all think he played well.

Its hard to have better numbers than he did in that situation.

His last four games he hit 67% of his passes for over 9 ypa. You think many freshman would do better than that?

Reactions: 22 people
I think putting JG on Alabama you’d see a totally different QB. With UT he had a line that couldn’t block and receivers who couldn’t get open along with coaches who couldn’t coach. He’ll be fine now.

Reactions: 24 people
We need a solid backup. That is why we are looking at grad transfers.

One legit qb in JG.

WM should probably be a slot wr in a pro-style.

Shrout will most likely never play, if he does it will be years down the line. 51% 1/1 td int ratio in high school, but a nice arm.

Any grad transfer we look at will be a backup. They all have worse stats or close to JG's freshman stats, while facing worse competition.

Reactions: 4 people
I think putting JG on Alabama you’d see a totally different QB. With UT he had a line that couldn’t block and receivers who couldn’t get open along with coaches who couldn’t coach. He’ll be fine now.

We’ll see. I have doubts, too.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not ready to throw the towel in but from what I have seen he is not a playmaker. Once he is flushed from the pocket nothing good ever happens. Plus he looks slow, I guess the point is he is no Josh Dobbs and doesn't have the upside to be.

I think it’s hard to rate any of our QB’s since they had to run for their lives on practically every play. Hopefully the OLine coach can help our guys unlearn whatever the former coaches did to them.

Reactions: 5 people
you should be concerned, we have not played well at the QB position. And, all the QB's new or old have to learn a new system.

Reactions: 1 person
Our current QB's are terrible. The biggest rebuild will be getting a competent QB who can function at the D1 level.

Thoughts?

Good reason to be concerned.. all show nothing

What did you expect with the coaching and players around him? He faced all bowl and or SEC teams each start.

61.9% overall and 65.1% vs SEC teams is pretty accurate.

He lead some great drives with us down already. We would have won the SC game on a late drive if not for a drop in the endzone.

I don't know what some of you expect. People who actually get paid to analyze this stuff all think he played well.

Its hard to have better numbers than he did in that situation.

His last four games he hit 67% of his passes for over 9 ypa. You think many freshman would do better than that?

You're using drunk golf rules logic.

"I hit the ball on the green 35 feet from the pin! HOLE IN ONE!"

"Omg I drove it straight! PGA tour here I come!"

"JG completed 60% of his passes and no touchdowns in 4 games! GREATNESS!"

D1 SEC football is too fast for him. Factor in he has lead legs and his dual threat title falls flat, similiar to how he takes sacks.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back