Ranking Pruitt’s Staff

Tennessee football: Ranking Vols assistants on Jeremy Pruitt's first staff

I read recently on VN that Calhoun is a bit of a cheerleader or shill in his articles. He certainly wasn’t overly complimentary of Friend or Fair.

Thoughts?

Considering he had friend and fair at the bottom of the list shows just how good Pruitts staff really is. I'm extremely excited to see what this staff can do with the talent on the roster and for you negas out there, there's plenty of talent.

Surprised at the level of praise for Helton.

Surprised at the level of praise for Helton.

Yes, that was not what I expected either. Lots of promise, but some of the others (Gillespie, Rumph, Rocker, Fitzgerald) seem to have many more years of proven success under their belts. Calhoun must just be overwhelmed by the thought of a Petrinoesque offense on the Hill.

The more I think about it, the more I am extremely excited about Tyson Helton running our offense.

It has been years since UT has played an exciting brand of offense.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh no I wet behind the ear reporter doesn't think we hired a good staff. That makes it official. Nothing but a prick with ears. GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, that was not what I expected either. Lots of promise, but some of the others (Gillespie, Rumph, Rocker, Fitzgerald) seem to have many more years of proven success under their belts. Calhoun must just be overwhelmed by the thought of a Petrinoesque offense on the Hill.
I am not sure i can trust a journalist that doesnt understand that the s&c coach (the only coach with year round contact with players) is one of the top 3 important hires a coach can make.

I used to think that Caleb Calhoo was at the least a decent writer with common sense and knowledge.No more.He stated in his ranking of import and good or bad hires,that the hiring of Craig Fitzgerald was not of much importance.Earlier,he said that the injuries had hurt Tennessee but the hire of a strength and conditioning coach mattered little.Where was he these last two years?Who the hell aids these players
In staying for to compete and not get hurt in such droves as to decimate our depth and competitiveness for2016 and 2017.
Caleb wake up,please.

Oh no I wet behind the ear reporter doesn't think we hired a good staff. That makes it official. Nothing but a prick with ears. GBO!

That is not the impression that I got after reading the article. He graded the staff from in his opinion, worst to best hire. The article was very complimentary of the overall staff.
Did you read the whole article?

We really wont know for sure, fairly, till they have 75%+ of the roster as their players then see how they are doing.

I used to think that Caleb Calhoo was at the least a decent writer with common sense and knowledge.No more.He stated in his ranking of import and good or bad hires,that the hiring of Craig Fitzgerald was not of much importance.Earlier,he said that the injuries had hurt Tennessee but the hire of a strength and conditioning coach mattered little.Where was he these last two years?Who the hell aids these players
In staying for to compete and not get hurt in such droves as to decimate our depth and competitiveness for2016 and 2017.
Caleb wake up,please.

The problem with his analysis is that he fails to acount for the headcoach not enforcing players to be held accountable to the s&c coach (rumors butch made workouts optional for some) so under the previous coach the s&c coach wasnt important. However in a properly ran program the s&c coach has the support of the head coach not him hindering the them.

That is not the impression that I got after reading the article. He graded the staff from in his opinion, worst to best hire. The article was very complimentary of the overall staff.
Did you read the whole article?

I stand corrected, I read the first few and made that post. Then I had to leave, once I got back and read the rest I realized it was a good article. It wasn't a bad write up at all, but in truth we don't know how good or bad any on the staff will be. There are so many factors in why a coach may have or have not had success at a previous stop. I'm hopeful and optimistic, I guess I have read to many articles these days that just print drivel and sensationalism without any real substance. Truthfully, right or wrong I don't think the guy really knows anymore than anyone else, that is not a knock on him, it's his job to write sports articles. But a reporter rating coaches is highly subjective, but he did a good job at doing it overall. But when we go back a few years from now I would bet he will have some right and some wrong as most anybody would including myself. Heck just look at our own sec conference media days year in and year out they get it more wrong than right. I guess I just don't appreciate writers and their articles these days, more times than not they are either drivel or sensationalism riddled. But this piece was not one of them, I stand corrected. GBO!

Last edited:
Considering he had friend and fair at the bottom of the list shows just how good Pruitts staff really is. I'm extremely excited to see what this staff can do with the talent on the roster and for you negas out there, there's plenty of talent.

Anyone on our new staff is a Helluva upgrade compared to the previous one ! :clapping:

I think sometimes we give credence to people because they do it for a living. Really, Caleb's opinions are no more informed than many who post on this board. Need an example? Look no further than Caleb's assessment of Terry Fair:

"At this point, the only explanation is Fair benefitted from Al Simmons’s coaching, who was the secondary coach under Jim McElwain before he arrived. Simmons managed to dramatically improve the New Mexico Lobos in three years there.

Now, to be fair, there could be a ton of other factors that caused the Rams’ pass defense to fall so hard..."

So which is it, Caleb? Is the *only* explanation that Terry Fair benefitted from the previous coach early in career at CSU, or could there be a "ton of other factors that caused the Ram's pass defense to fall so hard?

This is not high quality analysis.

not sure i've ever thought much of CC, not sure this changes that.

I don't know enough about the coaches to pick at his ranking. I'm certainly enthused that Helton may bring the offense back to a level of dynamic play that was sorely missed post-Dobbs, and this alone justifies Helton being ranked highest. But as for Calhoun's talent as a writer, well... he ain't no Hunter Thompson!

These opinions are from just 1 guy.

Everyone has opinions and some are right and some are wrong, that's just how opinions work most of the time.

Try to remember a few things please...

1...Coach Pruitt IS the professional coach here and it IS his name, reputation and job on the line so I'll Trust him as our HC to do his best for our footVol Team.

2...Coach Friend seems to be the major issue here but he has been a OC and has coached O linemen for awhile and we all know he has a HUGE mountain to climb just to get our O line even close to being good.

Also remember that our OC and HC can also jump in and try to help with our O linemen if need be and I'll bet our TE coach also knows something about blocking and our S & C coach probably does too.

Getting most things to a point of being really good will probably take 2 or 3 good recruiting classes and some rock solid coaching but I finally feel pretty good that we're back on the right track again....finally.

VFL...GBO!!!

Tennessee football: Ranking Vols assistants on Jeremy Pruitt's first staff

I read recently on VN that Calhoun is a bit of a cheerleader or shill in his articles. He certainly wasn’t overly complimentary of Friend or Fair.

Thoughts?

This particular article is not constructive to Tennessee's future success. It is like criticizing a player's father and telling them not to listen. It is generally undermining.

Fair brings NFL credibility as a player, and will be given an opportunity to learn the Alabama system of coaching defense and defensive backs from Pruitt.

You can point out opportunities for coaching cooperation without rating apples against oranges.

I see the author as a toxic spectator and a bad behavioral model.

This author criticized the Georgia OC after he lead the Georgia freshman QBd offense through a one loss season, SEC Championship, past Oklahoma and to the national championship game.

Last edited:
How do you "rank" any staff that has never coached a program or a practice or least of all a game together.

For the most part they have carried out someone else's wishes.
To "rank" them before any results as a unit is a useless waste of time.

Totally subjective piece, most writers do this too take make themselves look like they know more than the average fan. Some folks eat them type of articles up, it was nothing more than his opinion and at the end of the day he doesn't know how it will shake out anymore than the 10 year old across the street from me. Not much substance in the article at all, but that's what most of them do these days. At this point I will trust Coach Pruitt who is getting paid millions to hire a quality staff and somebody pecking behind a keyboard trying to sell articles. GBO!!!

Last edited:
This particular article is not constructive to Tennessee's future success. It is like criticizing a player's father and telling them not to listen. It is generally undermining.

Fair brings NFL credibility as a player, and will be given an opportunity to learn the Alabama system of coaching defense and defensive backs from Pruitt.

You can point out opportunities for coaching cooperation without rating apples against oranges.

I see the author as a toxic spectator and a bad behavioral model.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. We gotta unify behind the new coaches and give them a chance. COACH PRUITT won't make excuses like Butch. He's taken a tough job and he knows it.I hate articles like that!

VN Store

Back