UT plans to demolish Neyland home

Thank you for posting this, I was waiting on this thread to pop up. This would be a travesty in my opinion. How is his house NOT a historic landmark? That man is a legend.

Reactions: 8 people
Thank you for posting this, I was waiting on this thread to pop up. This would be a travesty in my opinion. How is his house NOT a historic landmark? That man is a legend.

Same here, however I obviously don't know the details on how rough of shape the home is in.

Reactions: 3 people
The home doesn't appear to have any architectural value.
I used to live near one of Neyland's later homes in the historic North Knoxville area. It was much more attractive than this **** hole.

Reactions: 2 people
They should turn it into a museum dedicated to Gen Neyland and the early days of the program. Maybe dedicate the second floor to the artist.

Reactions: 3 people
I just pulled this up on google street. Did Neyland used to walk to that Walmart right there as well?

Reactions: 8 people
I am all for history and architecture but this doesn't seem to rank high on either.

Architecturally it has nothing going for it. Its not vernacular, doesn't offer anything new or inspiring. Honestly walked past this building dozens of times without making note of it.

Historically it was just one of Neylands 10 houses in Knoxville. If it had been his only one, sure. Brisco is interesting, but again not really note worthy. Doesn't sound like anything critical happened there. Hasn't been historically important, to the community, in the past. No moves to make it a historical building.

all that being said, tearing it down would have to be based on what they are planning to do with the lot/area. If its another parking garage I say no.

Reactions: 1 person
I am all for history and architecture but this doesn't seem to rank high on either.

Architecturally it has nothing going for it. Its not vernacular, doesn't offer anything new or inspiring. Honestly walked past this building dozens of times without making note of it.

Historically it was just one of Neylands 10 houses in Knoxville. If it had been his only one, sure. Brisco is interesting, but again not really note worthy. Doesn't sound like anything critical happened there. Hasn't been historically important, to the community, in the past. No moves to make it a historical building.

all that being said, tearing it down would have to be based on what they are planning to do with the lot/area. If its another parking garage I say no.

Wouldn't be too much room to do much with just that lot besides building another building.

This happened when I clicked on your link, OP:

"You've reached your monthly article limit of 10."

What kind of style is this?

DT5-5bZVwAAnPQ2.jpg

If this is the only former house of General Neyland's that UT owns than there is no reason to destroy it. It just doesn't seem right. It should be fixed up and made a protected landmark. A nice little plaque outside the house letting people know General Neyland lived there

I fall in to the camp of it not having significant enough ties to be maintained, it isn’t his childhood home or even the Home he spent the majority of his life in, it’s just a house that he lived in when you first came to Knoxville.

It’s an opinion and not one of a historian, so it is what it is.

If this is the only former house of General Neyland's that UT owns than there is no reason to destroy it. It just doesn't seem right. It should be fixed up and made a protected landmark. A nice little plaque outside the house letting people know General Neyland lived there

and this wasn't an issue 5 years ago, 10 years ago? IIRC Neyland has been gone a LONG time now. I just really hate this pseudo historic movement of a building not being important UNTIL it is time to tear it down. Then its OMG we HAVE to save this building, hold on let me Google where this is. OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! You can put up a plaque outside a different building too, slap a photo on it and go on about your day. This is General Neylands pantry, this is his closet, this is his shi**er. No one cared until this moment. No one was begging to go in and tour this hallowed building and see where the general lived.

the reason to tear it down is that it is falling apart and would cost way too much money to fix it up. just because something might be old doesn't mean it has value. Considering how often Neyland moved around I would say it didn't have a terrible amount of value to him either.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back