How will Fulmer grade the top three

Vfl2407

Though I don’t follow them as closely as when we had Pat, I still occasionally watch the LV’s and want them to win just as I do any team that wears orange.
And, what happened to our team last night was a national embarrassment to lead by 23 and lose by 14.

Even though I like that Holly is a homegrown product and Pats handpicked successor, she simply is not a great head coach.

But, knowing this is not a basketball board, I have a big picture question now that Fulmer is AD.

How will he judge the main three of football,mbb,wbb.

Here would be mine:
Pruitt
Recruiting: early period B+
Developing talent: TBD
Gameday strategy/coaching: TBD

Barnes
Recruiting: C-
Developing talent: C+
Gameday strategy/coaching: B

Warlick
Recruiting: B
Developing talent: D
Gameday strategy/coaching F

Reactions: 1 person
I thought we had good basketball coaches? What happened? Didn’t Warlick bring in a top class and have a stellar record this year? (Sorry don’t keep with basketball as much so idk)

I agree on Barnes although I really wonder if he is not a better recruiter than we give him credit for. We are Tennessee. Everyone knows we are a football school. On top of that traditionally we have valued our women's program over the mens. Why would a top recruit come here? I think Barnes looks for the kids he can actually get that will work in his system and still finds ways to beat all those 5 stars out of Lexington. If Barnes can get us on a streak making the tourney I think that is excellent for UT.

Reactions: 6 people
I thought we had good basketball coaches? What happened? Didn’t Warlick bring in a top class and have a stellar record this year? (Sorry don’t keep with basketball as much so idk)

Holly’s recruiting has been subpar until the current outstanding freshman group.
So far, Barnes only gets three stars and coaches them up.

Reactions: 3 people
Barnes gets at least a B in talent development. A team full of sophomore 3-stars and we’re top 25.

Also, we’re in on 3 top-100 players for this class, only looking to take one. The more he wins, the more players he’ll bring in. He was consistently a top 20 recruiter at Texas.

Reactions: 8 people
Though I don’t follow them as closely as when we had Pat, I still occasionally watch the LV’s and want them to win just as I do any team that wears orange.
And, what happened to our team last night was a national embarrassment to lead by 23 and lose by 14.

Even though I like that Holly is a homegrown product and Pats handpicked successor, she simply is not a great head coach.

But, knowing this is not a basketball board, I have a big picture question now that Fulmer is AD.

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes

Warlick

You might not like Warlick but she killed it in recruiting

Reactions: 3 people

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes
Recruiting: C- (C+)
Developing talent: C+ (B)
Gameday strategy/coaching: B (B+)

Warlick
Recruiting: B (A-)
Gameday strategy/coaching F (C-)/b]

Barnes develops talent much better than you give him credit for. This team is playing far better BB than its collective recruiting rankings would suggest.

Holly had the #1 recruiting class this past season and I believe will have a top 3 class this season. Those deserve better than a C grade.

I also don't think she is as bad a game day coach as you do. She is average, hence a C. But I will say you can look like a dunce one game and a genius the next when you are relying on a bunch of true freshmen, because one game they will collectively play above their age and the next game will play like they are 18. Which is the difference we saw in the SC and ND games.

Reactions: 4 people

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes

Warlick

Barnes Gameday Coaching isn't something to be bragging about.

Barnes Gameday Coaching isn't something to be bragging about.

Yeah. He does sometimes have brain farts and lets the game slip away in the end. He has blown quite a few leads this season. Still though, he is a solid B.

Here would be mine:
Pruitt - Excellent Start!
Recruiting: early period A thus far

Barnes - We are where we should be by year 3. We are beating KY.
Recruiting: B (Not great, but consistent. Most are contributing. Have to consider what Barnes inherited.)
Developing talent: A (These guys are still young)
Gameday strategy/coaching: B (Varies from game to game)

Warlick - Definite upgrade from past years. Will the upward trajectory continue? Last night makes one wonder. End of year decisions could be necessary. Need to finish strong.
Recruiting: A (This year and last year)
Developing talent: TBD (lots of Freshmen involved)
Gameday strategy/coaching: C (Hard to complain with current record. Subject to change if team tanks.) Just counting this year. Otherwise, D.

Yeah. He does sometimes have brain farts and lets the game slip away in the end. He has blown quite a few leads this season. Still though, he is a solid B.

The case could be made that we should be a 1 loss team at worst right now. The rotation gaffes he made against Nova and UNC are downright Butch-esque.

The Mizzou loss was completely inexcusable. Shoulda split between Arky and Auburn.

Barnes is a solid coach, and we are definitely in a better place, but his gameday coaching has been the very poor. First time I have seen so many gaffes in the last 10 years of watching his teams.

so, you guys dont think barnes recruits well and that he is nothing more than average at gameday coaching...then he sure as hell must be an A at developing talent to explain how he has this roster playing as well as they are. to me, barnes is the best thing to happen to UT mens basketball in a long time.

Reactions: 8 people

I assume the OP is salty about Warlick blowing that 2nd quarter 23 point lead last night at ND and eventually getting blown out by 14. Don’t blame him.

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes

Warlick

Pruitt's strategy/coaching were evident in the NC game, seems to be at least competent. No thanks to jones &co we can recognize incompetence when we see it.

Barnes gets a B plus in recruiting for getting Williams who was grossly underated by recruiting services and Bone and Pons, who is still in the development stage.

Warlick is terrible at developing talent and her coaching skills are head scratching.

Warlick is apparently good at recruiting, is terrible at controlling the game and in-game adjustments and even worse at motivating.
She’s the Butch Jones of women’s basketball

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes

Warlick

Barnes:
Recruiting C
Developing talent B
Gameday B

Here would be mine:
Pruitt

Barnes

Warlick

Barnes is A+ in developing talent. He takes D players and makes them B players. He can take a B player to theNBA. He will soon get a great player or two and we will be a final 4 team.

Our fans overrate Barnes imo. He’s good but we could have a better coach. His teams are always just so inconsistent and young and undersized and so on and so on it seems. Lol.

Here would be mine:
Pruitt
Recruiting: early period TBD

Barnes

Warlick

fyp

You might not like Warlick but she killed it in recruiting

It appears she's emulating a Butch Jones era for the Lady Vols. Great recruiter, bad product on game day. There are FAR better coaches out there that have a Pat legacy stamped on them that need to be brought back. Dawn Staley would be my first choice, give her what she wants and watch the Lady Vols rise to the top again.

VN Store

Back