Is TN a Blue Blood Program? Most dominant CFB teams by Decade says so?

Glocker_Alum_2005

Found this 2 season old article on best college football teams by decade. But it help solidify the other thread I started “Tennessee Twins” regarding program that, at the current time, where similar to Tennessee.
Ranking the 10 best college football programs of each decade - SBNation.com
Most in that thread, said our current state of affairs is most like Nebraska or Michigan. However if you look at the attached, Texas would be a closer match than Michigan. If you look at the count of decades, Michigan dominated 7 decades. TX did it across 6 decades, whereas Nebraska and TN had 5. Nebraska had a higher metric averages 91% compared to TN 87%. TN and TX's percentages were more comparable at 87% and 88%. I just think do not think TX comes to mind because they won the Natty more recently than TN and then appeared in the 2009 title game as well.

Attachments

• Teams of the Decade 2.jpg
    Teams of the Decade 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 138
Yeah the fire Fulmer crowd got their way and look what happened.

We didn’t hire Gary Patterson to replace him, that’s what happened. Then we hired Dooley instead of Kevin Sumlin. Then we hired Butch Jones. You do realize that Fulmer was responsible for the beginning of the downturn don’t you?

Reactions: 7 people
And now you have paytenwhateverwoo as your president leading the charge. LOL

And no one knows if Fulmer couldn't have turned it back around.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We didn’t hire Gary Patterson to replace him, that’s what happened. Then we hired Dooley instead of Kevin Sumlin. Then we hired Butch Jones. You do realize that Fulmer was responsible for the beginning of the downturn don’t you?

Bull. First of all, Paterson can't carry Fulmer's jock. Second of all, the reason you can't get anyone to replace him for 10 years was because of the way they treated a Hall of Famer that accomplished more then any other in the history of Tennessee football. No name coach would go to a place where Hamilton was the AD, they just fired a Hall of Famer and to follow a legend. Add the dimwit fan base and you where only hiring the Lane Kiffin's of the world. Beginning of the downturn??? Downturn from what? The bar he set was so high that anything would be a downturn. His worst decade if you will was the 2000's. That decade was still one of the 2-3 best in school history. You judge based on the program not where he elevated it to.

Had they simply started a succession plan of 3 or so years, with Fulmer on board, they would have corrected the ONE YEAR problem that was caused by Hamilton (Ainge admitted that on the radio) then most of the big time coaches would have had some interest and the program that was averaging 10 wins per year would have continued. Plus Fulmer would have retired as the 2nd winninest coach in SEC history and would have broken all of Neyland's records. But the Haslem's could not have that. Neyland was his coach. No way they would let that happen so they let Hamilton tear it down. Then we got the past 10 years because of it.

Tennessee had a recruiting class that was ranked #3 at the time of the firing including a lot of kids that went elsewhere and played many years in the NFL. It was getting fixed in spite of Hamilton. Hamilton forced Clawson on the program as the coach in waiting. He is a good coach but not a fit.

Get your facts straight.

Reactions: 12 people
Get your facts straight.

Facts? You mean like Fulmer presiding over two losing seasons in four years? Who was responsible for signing the sh*tty 2006 recruiting class? Who was responsible for signing the sh*tty 2008 recruiting class? Who was responsible for the terrible assistant coach hires? Who forced Fulmer to hire Johnny Long as strength and conditioning coach? Who forced him to hire Jimmy Ray Stephens or Greg Adkins? Who forced him to promote Randy Sanders after Cut left?

Reactions: 7 people
Why is d-o-m-i-n-a-n-t such a hard word for some folks to spell?
I won't even mention w(h)ere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee had a recruiting class that was ranked #3 at the time of the firing including a lot of kids that went elsewhere and played many years in the NFL. .

Who besides DJ Swearinger fits this bill? Jarvis Giles? Josh Nunes? Edwin Herbert? DT shackelford? Je’ron stokes?

Reactions: 1 person
Leave it to Volnation to have a promising thread devolve into a Fulmer sh*tfest.

Z

Z

Reactions: 5 people
Actually track UT athletics teams performance on the whole starting the year before Jimmy Cheeks was hired till now. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Which is more pathetic? Arguing about past relevance or straining miserably to rationalize impossibly lofty expectations for the most current restart? Instead of this violent, spastic constipation, someone with football knowledge who follows this program very carefully should start threads full of rational assessments about where we are and how we might possibly someday get to where we fans wish to be as a program. That would be entertaining and educational.

Yes has devolved into a why we are not dominant thread. History says we can get back to winning 10 games a year...every four years or do. Bigger question is will that be enough for our rabid fanbase.

Which is more pathetic? Arguing about past relevance or straining miserably to rationalize impossibly lofty expectations for the most current restart? Instead of this violent, spastic constipation, someone with football knowledge who follows this program very carefully should start threads full of rational assessments about where we are and how we might possibly someday get to where we fans wish to be as a program. That would be entertaining and educational.
Spastic Constipation is good garage band name.

Facts? You mean like Fulmer presiding over two losing seasons in four years? Who was responsible for signing the sh*tty 2006 recruiting class? Who was responsible for signing the sh*tty 2008 recruiting class? Who was responsible for the terrible assistant coach hires? Who forced Fulmer to hire Johnny Long as strength and conditioning coach? Who forced him to hire Jimmy Ray Stephens or Greg Adkins? Who forced him to promote Randy Sanders after Cut left?
Let's also not forget Phil never beat Saban (save the regular season 01). The last year we won the division we lost 59-20 to UF, and 41-10 to Bama. Took us a couple OT's to put away KY jelly that year too. It was time for Fulmer to go as early as 2005. I'm glad we have a UT guy again, but it's not like we did the wrong thing there.

Leave it to Volnation to have a promising thread devolve into a Fulmer sh*tfest.

Z

Z

Though I could jump in on it, I refuse. No matter my opinion of him, Fulmer is now our AD. And until he starts screwing the pooch, I will give him a break at this point.

However, I know exactly where my torch and pitchfork are. Hopefully, they collect dust.

As to Tennessee being elite or a blueblood, I don't give a damn. Those of you who can't properly spank their monkeys without thinking that, feel free. But we have had too many jackasses bleeding the spirit outta the program. Time to push them out, and patch up the wounds.Winning makes you elite, not empty traditions.

Last edited:
Historically, sure. But the debate isn’t even worth having after the past decade of slop. When we hoist another national championship trophy, that’s when we’re officially a blue blood again.

VN Store

Back