UF AD Stricklin added to Playoff Committee

jps2194

Vol for Life
SIAP.

I'm not sure how I feel about Stricklin being on the playoff committee. When we get in a position to be selected - notice I said when not if :) - will this help us or hurt us? Will he go pro SEC or let our heated rivalry influence him.

Personally, I don't like it. I don't like ADs being on the committee, but I'm honestly not sure who should be included to prevent any bias. I guess I'm okay with a committee, but I feel like we should expand to 8 teams.

What do you guys think about this?

College Football Playoff Announces Selection Committee Class - College Football Playoff

Reactions: 1 person
SIAP.

I'm not sure how I feel about Stricklin being on the playoff committee. When we get in a position to be selected - notice I said when not if :) - will this help us or hurt us? Will he go pro SEC or let our heated rivalry influence him.

Personally, I don't like it. I don't like ADs being on the committee, but I'm honestly not sure who should be included to prevent any bias. I guess I'm okay with a committee, but I feel like we should expand to 8 teams.

College Football Playoff Announces Selection Committee Class - College Football Playoff

Money talks so I would not expect Stricklin to hurt us should we be in the running for the #4 seed (He's not going to hurt his athletic department budget to give a team like USC or Ohio State a spot).

I like the following idea for the playoffs....

8 team playoff. The 5 Power conference champions, 2 wildcard teams, and the highest rated non Power 5 team. First round will be a home game for the higher seed. Next 2 rounds will be in the format we have currently.

Thoughts??

Reactions: 3 people
...I like the following idea for the playoffs....

8 team playoff. The 5 Power conference champions, 2 wildcard teams, and the highest rated non Power 5 team. First round will be a home game for the higher seed. Next 2 rounds will be in the format we have currently.

Thoughts??

I like this idea a lot. Would the losers in the first round be allowed to play in a bowl game?

SIAP.

Under this format you could have had Bama, Auburn and GA in the playoffs or only GA and have left bama out since they did not win Conference or even their division.

Money talks so I would not expect Stricklin to hurt us should we be in the running for the #4 seed (He's not going to hurt his athletic department budget to give a team like USC or Ohio State a spot).

Thoughts??

Return Conference sizes to 10 teams and limit to 6 conferences. You play everyone in the conference so no title game. 8 teams get in. 6 champs plus 2 at large. I feel like once you get that far into the rankings, you have covered anyone that is going to beat anyone. I would like to return to the years of seeing everyone every year. So you play 9 conference and 3 OOC. No conference Champ game so you keep the number of games per year the same for those that advance.

Wishful thinking I know, but that's my opine.

SIAP.

Well, I am not the committee's biggest fan. However, I feel they have been selecting the best 4 performing teams each year. And it is structured to where if Florida is one of the team being considered, he leaves the room.

As to going to 8, it means fans for the two championship programs now have to play three post season games. That is tough for fans to plan for, and some will bring up injury risk. However, going to 8 pretty much guarantees all power 5 conference champions are included unless they REALLY suck. It also would this year have allowed an undefeated UCF to prove their worth.

I feel when the committee format was begun, it was for the express purpose of preventing 2 SEC teams playing for the championship. Since that didn't work, I feel it accelerates the process of lobbying for change. The next logical step is expanding to 8. I think it is inevitable within the next 5-8 years, especially if two SEC teams are selected for the 4 again. The other 4 conferences and their sponsors will be jumping all over it then.

I like this idea a lot. Would the losers in the first round be allowed to play in a bowl game?

I'd say No. I'd play the first round games 2 weeks after Championship Saturday.

Here is how the playoffs would have looked this year

(1) Clemson v (8) Central Florida at Clemson
(2) Oklahoma v (7) USC at Norman
(3) Georgia v (6) Wisconsin at Athens
(4) Alabama v (5) Ohio State at Tuscaloosa

Return Conference sizes to 10 teams and limit to 6 conferences. You play everyone in the conference so no title game. 8 teams get in. 6 champs plus 2 at large. I feel like once you get that far into the rankings, you have covered anyone that is going to beat anyone. I would like to return to the years of seeing everyone every year. So you play 9 conference and 3 OOC. No conference Champ game so you keep the number of games per year the same for those that advance.

I would love to see something like this.

I actually like the conference championship games as a concept, and I think they are great for the game, but I hate how the loser of the conference championship game gets penalized under the current system, i.e. Auburn and Wisconsin this year.
I also despise how a team, i.e. Bama and OSU, can be "protected" by failing to earn the right to play in a conference championship game.

Well, the conferences with more than 10 teams are making too much money from that. And you cut into revenues by having one less home game that also means we cover one of the poorer schools expenses for the entire season. Without that, or so I have been told, these guys would be unable to field a team.

Wish on, but the conference championship games seem here to stay.

I would prefer the conference champions to be automatically given the top seeds regardless of the overall rankings.

I also think the losers in the first round ought to be able to play in a bowl game. It would be good for the fan bases and also make for better bowl games that are not part of the CFP.

I wanted a 8 Team playoff right from the beginning.

I'm fine with the season extending a extra week or 2 or 3.

More games to watch and advertisers should like it too.

VFL...GBO!!!

Well, the conferences with more than 10 teams are making too much money from that. And you cut into revenues by having one less home game that also means we cover one of the poorer schools expenses for the entire season. Without that, or so I have been told, these guys would be unable to field a team.

I would have no issues with kicking Arkansas, Missouri, Texas A&M and South Carolina out of the SEC. They are not traditionally SEC schools anyway.

Vandy should probably go for no other reason than they could be a legitimate competitor in another conference.

The last one is a tough one. I got no answers.

But, you are right. The money machine would never, ever allow such a thing to happen.

I would prefer the conference champions to be automatically given the top seeds regardless of the overall rankings.

I also think the losers in the first round ought to be able to play in a bowl game. It would be good for the fan bases and also make for better bowl games that are not part of the CFP.

Here's a scenario....Let's say Washington plays the 60th toughest schedule in the country and goes 9-3 but gets to their conference title game and they win it. Let's say UT goes 12-0 by playing the toughest schedule in the country and loses to an 11-1 Alabama team in the SEC title game by 1. Who deserves a higher seed?

If a team loses in the playoffs, I doubt their fans would really wanna travel for a bowl game. It would be a letdown. Fans make the logistics work on short notice when their team has something to play for...I could not see UT being excited to go play in the Fiesta Bowl should they lose a first round game.

Thoughts??
I like this approach as well. I think there is always a chance that a team isn't included in the top 4 that could have won it all. Furthermore, it gives a team like UCSF to put up or shut up.

Don't like any of of those appointments. If a former coach is going to be on the committee it shoulda been someone like Fulmer or Stoops. :twocents:

or:

(1) Clemson v (7) Auburn* at Clemson
(2) Oklahoma v (6) Wisconsin at Norman
(3) Georgia v (4) Alabama at Athens
(5) Ohio St v (8) USC at Columbus

*UCF was ranked 12 in the final pre-playoff ranking

I would think if you are taking the conference champs they rank them independently and then take the next three highest ranked teams. At least I think I got the rankings right. I mixed them up thinking that the P5 Champs would get the first 5 spots period regardless of ranking then you would fill the bracket with the next 3 teams. I think you have a hard time putting #12 ahead of number 7 especially since AU was ranked higher than a Conference Champ.

Last edited:

You would have 7 home games a year or 6 then 7 if you play in one of the stupid kickoff classic bowls. With out the preseason bowl, you have 1 premium OOC that is home and away, 2 OOC at home, and then either 4 or 5 SEC games at home. The premium OOC is at home in the year with 4 SEC home games. Not playing all the teams in the conference is BS IMO.

Tennessee's AD forgot more football than Stricklin will ever know but I doubt Tennessee will ever be represented on that committee....not surprised Florida got their guy in

Reactions: 2 people
Here's a scenario....Let's say Washington plays the 60th toughest schedule in the country and goes 9-3 but gets to their conference title game and they win it. Let's say UT goes 12-0 by playing the toughest schedule in the country and loses to an 11-1 Alabama team in the SEC title game by 1. Who deserves a higher seed?

If a team loses in the playoffs, I doubt their fans would really wanna travel for a bowl game. It would be a letdown. Fans make the logistics work on short notice when their team has something to play for...I could not see UT being excited to go play in the Fiesta Bowl should they lose a first round game.

I see it the same as it is in the NFL and MLB. The division winners get home field. A championship ought to be worth something. As Clint Eastwood sait in Unforgiven, "deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

I disagree regarding the bowl issue. But, it isn't as if we are voting this into law tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't know how to say this respectfully. So, if it's disrespectful, I apologize at the outset.

Why do people feel the need to worry about something that has a 0.000000001% chance of happening?

Tennessee has had a winning conference record once in the last 10 years and you're worried about one member of the college football playoff committee.

Seriously?

Win games. Ok. My program is in the same boat. Win games. Don't worry about Alabama. Don't worry about the East. Don't worry about conference titles. Go play good football and win games. That's step 1. After that, worry about all this other stuff.

I have no clue who the hell is on the playoff committee because when anyone mentions the playoffs right now all I hear is Jim Mora.

I don't know how to say this respectfully. So, if it's disrespectful, I apologize at the outset.

Why do people feel the need to worry about something that has a 0.000000001% chance of happening?

Tennessee has had a winning conference record once in the last 10 years and you're worried about one member of the college football playoff committee.

Seriously?

Win games. Ok. My program is in the same boat. Win games. Don't worry about Alabama. Don't worry about the East. Don't worry about conference titles. Go play good football and win games. That's step 1. After that, worry about all this other stuff.

I have no clue who the hell is on the playoff committee because when anyone mentions the playoffs right now all I hear is Jim Mora.

Yes, truly you shouldn't worry.

I see it the same as it is in the NFL and MLB. The division winners get home field. A championship ought to be worth something. As Clint Eastwood sait in Unforgiven, "deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

I disagree regarding the bowl issue. But, it isn't as if we are voting this into law tomorrow.

I can live with the 4 best conference champions getting the top 4 seeds and home games as well (see below). I like my idea but this variation of it favoring conference champions is just as good :)

(1) Clemson vs (8) UCF at Clemson
(2) Oklahoma vs (7) USC at Norman
(3) Georgia vs (6) Wisconsin at Athens
(4) Ohio State vs (5) Alabama at Columbus

SIAP.

I don’t think rivalry is heated anymore, and I don’t think Stricklin will have enough influence by himself to help or harm any given SEC team.

Seriously?

That was mostly in jest - shoulda used a blue font. The real challenge I have is how do remove bias from this formula. With only 4 teams, I think that is a concern.

As for the OP, it's pretty remarkable that most seem to believe that in this day and age no one has integrity and is capable of honesty.

Is it not possible that Stricklin will simply act in accordance with the charge of the committee and participate under the guidelines he's given?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back