Losing Culture Can Change

Vol Main

This article is about a losing team which became a winning team. How much does it apply to the current situation at Tennessee?

"Well, if it helps us win, then it's all good." Paul Posluszny

"We definitely threw a tantrum. Went in there and talked to him about it. Definitely wasn't happy. I learned just to be quiet, you know, and go with the flow. He's been at it longer than I have, and I'm just the football player. He says do this and I go do it. Just learn to follow him, and I'm glad I did." Pro Bowl defensive tackle Malik Jackson

Jaguars 'threw a tantrum' when Doug Marrone started making changes - Orlando Sentinel

Reactions: 1 person
It's easy to change the culture when you can buy the best players available.Tennessee has a history of winning more than losing, the recent history is a bump in the road. okla., neb., tex., and ala went through similar stretches like ours.

All goes back to trust, coaches trusting players to execute the designed plays, players trusting the coaches to put them in the best situation to succeed. Being open and honest with all people involved, in recruiting, play calling and personnel decisions. If you have trust in a organization you can lay the foundations to win. Butch Jones and that staff from most of the things I have read were very fraudulent when they went about doing most everything, I don't think this is the case with CJP.

Reactions: 2 people
And it is going to happen in the 1st game of 2018. Now that Pruitt and his staff is organized and is moving fast in recruiting and working everyday. Jeremy Pruitt and staff, is going to demand perfection from this football team right now.
The recipe for winning. We will win in 2018. I believe we will beat Florida, Georgia, and give Auburn fits to win that game. Like I’ve said, Smart can’t beat Pruitt, and I firmly believe that from day 1, when he was hired.

And it is going to happen in the 1st game of 2018. Now that Pruitt and his staff is organized and is moving fast in recruiting and working everyday. Jeremy Pruitt and staff, is going to demand perfection from this football team right now.
The recipe for winning. We will win in 2018. I believe we will beat Florida, Georgia, and give Auburn fits to win that game. Like I’ve said, Smart can’t beat Pruitt, and I firmly believe that from day 1, when he was hired.
I wanna believe you, I really do.

I would add learning how to maintain intensity to the list of how to change change the culture.

Not just intensity for a quarter or half, but sustained intensity for the entire game, 4 quarters, OT, not letting your foot off the gas.

How many games did Botch lose b/c there was a lack of intensity for the duration of the game, specifically in the 4th Q? A lack of killer instinct and loss of intensity resulted in letting quite a few teams back into the game late which resulted in several losses.

All goes back to trust, coaches trusting players to execute the designed plays, players trusting the coaches to put them in the best situation to succeed. Being open and honest with all people involved, in recruiting, play calling and personnel decisions. If you have trust in a organization you can lay the foundations to win. Butch Jones and that staff from most of the things I have read were very fraudulent when they went about doing most everything, I don't think this is the case with CJP.

Jones lost the team in 2016 and never got it back.

Reactions: 4 people
I would add learning how to maintain intensity to the list of how to change change the culture.

Not just intensity for a quarter or half, but sustained intensity for the entire game, 4 quarters, OT, not letting your foot off the gas.

How many games did Botch lose b/c there was a lack of intensity for the duration of the game, specifically in the 4th Q? A lack of killer instinct and loss of intensity resulted in letting quite a few teams back into the game late which resulted in several losses.

Conditioning is the first step in maintaining intensity the entire game. If your body goes, the mind will follow.

Exact response that I had to his post also. Please let it be so!
You know, I don’t predict much, but faithfully, I have a feeling that we got our Nick Saban jr. He is going to win here, and there isn’t anything Kirby Smart, Mullen, or even Muschamp can do about it. I also believe he is slowly going to take the reins away from Nick Savanna in recruiting. We’ve already seen this trend already brewing...:rock::clapping: Have faith...:pepper:

Last edited:
Just a factoid. JONES never lost an opener or a bowl game. It was the stuff in between that didn't work so well.

You know, I don’t predict much, but faithfully, I have a feeling that we got our Nick Saban jr. He is going to win here, and there isn’t anything Kirby Smart, Mullen, or even Muschamp can do about it. I also believe he is slowly going to take the reins away from Nick Savanna in recruiting. We’ve already seen this trend already brewing...:rock::clapping: Have faith...:pepper:

That was definitely in the marketing brochure for JP. I'll believe it until I see otherwise. Why suffer believing reality, uh I mean being negative.

We had ONE losing season in the last 4. There is no culture of losing.

I don't think there was a culture of losing as much as it was an expectation "not to win". I know that sounds the same but it really isn't.

When you get your backside handed to you by your biggest rivals on an almost annual basis, that’s a culture of losing. Beating Indiana State doesn’t boost the morale much.

Have the attitude, that every person you line up against, you want to rip their head from their shoulders and piss on their lifeless corpse

In no way is this a defense of the prior staff but it would be interesting to lay out the starting 22 that the Vols trotted out against Vandy and the starting 22 expected to play against West Virginia. I think we may all be surprised at the difference in quality of athlete we will expect against WVA vs what we saw against Vandy. I'm way too lazy to do the work but one example is Kirkland vs Jumper. You could go down the list but my guess is just by getting healthy the 2018 team is exponentially better than what the Vols finished with last season. JMHO

Not to mention nearly every player on our roster has a losing record vs Vandy, and no one has a winning record vs them. Let that sink in and then tell me we have a winning culture.

Wow.....do you have any of that smoke to share......

VN Store

Back