Why transfers and early NFL entries

DonDiego

Carolina del Sur
Kelly, McKenzie, and Gaulden should have all waited another year--none will likely be high draft picks. Now Dormady is transferring out, even though there is not much reason to think he couldn't be our starter next year. Why?

Hooker, who I thought was one of the best local beat writers, opens the subject. I just wish he had gone a little more in depth with the whole Jones culture.

I'm not a Jones basher, but I'm curious to know some inside details from a decent reporter with no axe to grind.

Quinten Dormady's transfer more evidence of mistrust inside Vols program

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's very likely that they were all favorites of the prior regime and none of the feel like starting over with a new staff, therefore, thay would rather move on than learn a new system and scheme. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 13 people
Doesn’t take a seasoned “reporter” to show that even most FANS didn’t want to be part of the Tennessee Football Program by early October, 2017. And fans weren’t getting yelled at, hit, hurt,etc. at the time. Meanwhile those that were...said...”F¥€£ this $hit!” And...they GONE!

I don’t blame them...

It's very likely that they were all favorites of the prior regime and none of the feel like starting over with a new staff, therefore, thay would rather move on than learn a new system and scheme. Just my opinion.

No matter where he goes he's going to be starting over. Like Hooker said, why not at least play through spring and see if he can secure the starting job? Dormady, Boulware, Gaulden, Kelly, McKenzie, etc. There's always attrition during a coaching change but damn.

Why doesn't matter anymore IMO. Butch recruits are being replaced with Pruitt recruits. Spots are being made available to kids who want to be in Knoxville and compete. Won't lose a wink of sleep over losing any of these guys.

Reactions: 12 people
the old culture was poisonous to some...maybe they expected the same from the new one...whatever the reason, it was time to move on...good luck to them...and,

GO VOLS!

The new staff cares about winning now (see juco recruits), but has to win in the future. They will invest most in underclass men.

Kelly, McKenzie, and Gaulden should have all waited another year--none will likely be high draft picks. Now Dormady is transferring out, even though there is not much reason to think he couldn't be our starter next year. Why?

Hooker, who I thought was one of the best local beat writers, opens the subject. I just wish he had gone a little more in depth with the whole Jones culture.

I'm not a Jones basher, but I'm curious to know some inside details from a decent reporter with no axe to grind.

Lazy excuse of writing. Each situation different. To me, Dormandy (had to do it for last time), was probably not entirely healed and going to be working up hill to win starting spot, so he's going somewhere can play. Don't blame him, but injury has to be part of it. Don't really blame Kelly, but Mac and Gaulden are head scratchers.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe at least one of them is scared of the hard work that Pruitt will make them put in order to play. I dont get QD leaving when Pruitt said they will be a pro-style offense instead of Butch’s QB keeper
delayed handoff system.

Reactions: 7 people

Remember that Kiffin ran off B.J. Coleman and our free safety. Can't remember the safety's name but he played 2 seasons, then left school and then returned but Kiffin ran him off.
Maybe Pruitt needs to make room for other recruits, yet to be signed. Maybe they feel that they will be recruited over. Maybe Dormady wants to be guaranteed a starting job and with a transfer to a lesser division school, he may get that. Maybe Gaulden is listening to Sutton or some of former Tennessee db's and has decided to take a plunge.
I think Kelly is making a bad decision because there are 22 running backs entering the draft this season. He is likely to fall very, very far or may end up being a free agent like A. Foster did. OR maybe Kelly realizes that his playing time will be shared with other players and his stats won't be as good next for the 2019 NFL draft.

Reactions: 3 people
Everyone deserves to make the decision that is best for them and their future. And it's better that we have a team that is 100% bought in with this new staff.

Those going to the NFL early even if drafted in a late round shouldn't suprise anyone. The opportunity to make the NFL minimum or even just make a practice squad is some good money to get to keep playing a sport for a living. That's not really hard evidence of anything against UT or Butch.

Both QD and JG have accuracy issues. Maybe it was due to QD shoulder that had him off. But, with that aspect being similar and a clear separation between the two when it comes to running ability, JG looks to be ahead of both QD and Mcbride.

Being able to do the Grad Transfer QD can go anywhere that will take him. With his skill set he could take a starting spot at many schools. Getting there for spring practice will give him a chance to show it on the field early rather than showing up in June with only few month before the season starts. That's not really evidence of anything against UT or Butch.

From the looks of all the reports our players seemed to be having too much fun during their free time.

Scholarship players at a P5 program should have only few things on their mind. How can they get better at football? How can they make the team better at football? When will they be ready for the NFL? How many Championships can they win on their watch?

Non P5 programs are not competing for NCs, but the players still need to ask the other questions.

Gaulden will be the biggest loss but we have guys that can take the positions and do great.

Those going to the NFL early even if drafted in a late round shouldn't suprise anyone. The opportunity to make the NFL minimum or even just make a practice squad is some good money to get to keep playing a sport for a living. That's not really hard evidence of anything against UT or Butch.

Both QD and JG have accuracy issues. Maybe it was due to QD shoulder that had him off. But, with that aspect being similar and a clear separation between the two when it comes to running ability, JG looks to be ahead of both QD and Mcbride.

Being able to do the Grad Transfer QD can go anywhere that will take him. With his skill set he could take a starting spot at many schools. Getting there for spring practice will give him a chance to show it on the field early rather than showing up in June with only few month before the season starts. That's not really evidence of anything against UT or Butch.

From the looks of all the reports our players seemed to be having too much fun during their free time.

Scholarship players at a P5 program should have only few things on their mind. How can they get better at football? How can they make the team better at football? When will they be ready for the NFL? How many Championships can they win on their watch?

Non P5 programs are not competing for NCs, but the players still need to ask the other questions.

Good summary and I agree with you.

They'll be learning a new system and scheme in the NFL or whichever program Dormady chooses as well though.

Why doesn't matter anymore IMO. Butch recruits are being replaced with Pruitt recruits. Spots are being made available to kids who want to be in Knoxville and compete. Won't lose a wink of sleep over losing any of these guys.

At least until injuries hit and they are putting walk on's and freshmen on the field who really aren't prepared.

Indications are that playing at Tennesssee isnt very fun. Dont blame any of them.
Wasn't, hopefully all that changes now!

Get ready for more movement/transfers announced by the end of Spring practice. It’s about to be even less “fun” to play at Tennessee for a lot of guys who got awfully comfortable in a broken Butch Jones football culture. There’s gonna be some necessary culling going on at the football facilities once Fitzgerald and then JP and staff get their hands on this very marshmallowy soft roster. Gonna be a lot of addition by subtraction imo.

Reactions: 5 people

Player's leave every year, QD doesn't have the it factor to compete, we don't need player's that doesn't won't to compete, weed all of them out now and take our lump's the next couple of year's so coach can get his players in here to run his system we got to hang in there as fans this year which could be rough we got to give the Head coach time, because we are in a mess and will have a very young team on the field about like Jones first year with a little more talent, we have lost 3 of our best players to the draft and that hurts this team.

Reactions: 2 people
To those pointing to QD's and JG's accuracy issues, a lot of that is on the line and scheme. Its hard to pass when you're getting whooped like a government mule every other play. Fix the O-line, and you'll be surprised the difference it makes...

PS...it'll also help when our receivers run more than 5 routes! I have an acquaintance that plays on Georgia's defense. He said they spent half the time reviewing tape of Tennessee as other school's because of the vanilla predictable play calls.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back