Tennessee Twins

Glocker_Alum_2005

Looking at our current struggles, our rich history, and the current conference and national competition levels, which other program in cfb (in recent history) do you see as most like TN? Did such program rise from the ashes, like the proverbial phoenix?

As much as I hate them, we are blue blood bros with Michigan. Very similar trajectories since our national championships.

Reactions: 3 people
I think we're side by side with Nebraska. Time for both schools to finally rise from the ashes though.

College football is cyclical though. Every major program has been mired in misery and on top of the world. Some of the more poetic posters can probably compare us to just about any top program you want.

Reactions: 8 people
As much as I hate them, we are blue blood bros with Michigan. Very similar trajectories since our national championships.

Yep first one that popped in my head. Many say Nebraska, but their recruiting environment is much different than TN or Michigan. How about Penn St or Washington?

Looking at our current struggles, our rich history, and the current conference and national competition levels, which other program in cfb (in recent history) do you see as most like TN? Did such program rise from the ashes, like the proverbial phoenix?

I think our last decade has been very similar to LSU in the late 80s to the late 90s. Their decline started under Mike Archer. They hit rock bottom under Curly Hallman (Dooley). They had a slight rebound under DiNardo (Jones) before the bottom fell out. Once they hired Saban the turn around was quick. They won the SEC in his second season, and the NC in his 4th.

Reactions: 4 people
I’d say Michigan would be most similar.

Very good recruiting.
Can’t beat their biggest rivals.

Michigan has a arrogant a**hole for a coach.

We have a nice guy that's very confident in what he knows how to get done and will demand serious work and perfecting the players skills.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I think we're side by side with Nebraska. Time for both schools to finally rise from the ashes though.

College football is cyclical though. Every major program has been mired in misery and on top of the world. Some of the more poetic posters can probably compare us to just about any top program you want.

If we have to also use program histories in this comparison, though, I’m not sure we were quite at their level. We were really good, but what they consistently did in the 70s, 80s and then took up even a notch further in the 90s was pretty insane.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree that we are more like Nebraska. Michigan has put all their eggs in the Harbaugh basket, and he's getting a track record there. I'm sure their message boards have plenty of Negawolverines at this juncture. UT and Nebraska have a hint that big changes for the good COULD happen. Nebraska maybe even a tad more than UT (Frost had a very impressive season). We shall see.

Harbaugh: Like Butch, can't beat Muschamp either...:p

Last edited:
I agree that we are more like Nebraska. Michigan has put all their eggs in the Harbaugh basket, and he's getting a track record there. I'm sure their message boards have plenty of Negawolverines at this juncture. UT and Nebraska have a hint that big changes for the good COULD happen. Nebraska maybe even a tad more than UT (Frost had a very impressive season). We shall see.

Harbaugh: Like Butch, can't beat Muschamp either...:p

Negarines.....:)

I think our last decade has been very similar to LSU in the late 80s to the late 90s. Their decline started under Mike Archer. They hit rock bottom under Curly Hallman (Dooley). They had a slight rebound under DiNardo (Jones) before the bottom fell out. Once they hired Saban the turn around was quick. They won the SEC in his second season, and the NC in his 4th.

And our coach is going to leave us and eventually become Alabama’s historically great coach....

J/K... maybe.... idk 😐

I would think this is a pretty good comparison, but with excellent recruiters, our recruiting can now be on par with anyone. It is true that we have to fight for what we get, but we are surrounded by some of the best recruiting territory in the nation.

The Nashville area is now producing lots of good talent. We have Memphis in our state. The georgia state line is less than a couple of hours away, with Atlanta about as close as Nashville. Most of Florida is a day's drive away (I have driven almost to Miami Overnight and arrived at noon). Alabama is not as far away as it seems. North and South Carolina are just over the mountains. You can even cross the state line into Virginia in a couple of hours.

Edit: I will say that I think Nebraska has hired maybe the best up-and-coming coach in the last decade. So, that could make a big difference. I am saying that even though I am very happy with who we hired, and it will be very interesting to see who has the most success. Pruitt seems to have us on a very good trajectory with his limited time on the hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back