Favorite Keith Jackson UT call

njvols

I grew up in the days of no cable so Keith was listened to every week in the 70's and 80's. With the passing of one of the legends of sports broadcasting, what is your favorite Keith Jackson UT call? Mine is Jeff Powell's long TD run against Miami in the 1986 sugar bowl. Was at the game but watched replay more times than I can count, and can still hear the call like it was yesterday! RIP, Mr Jackson you were the best College football TV guy ever!

Reactions: 7 people
Hate to hear he's gone. Always enjoying listening to him call a game.

Especially the 1998 championship game.

Reactions: 2 people
FUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE WHOA BOY!

RIP Keith Jackson

I was much less of a KJ fan when the end of the 1999 Fiesta Bowl became all about him "retiring" instead of TN winning their first Natty in almost 50 years. Then he quickly did a 180 and un-retired. Still, I miss his iconic voice.

Reactions: 7 people
Hate to hear he's gone. Always enjoying listening to him call a game.

Especially the 1998 championship game.

Sad, yes. I listened, too. "Whoa Nellie" still makes me smile. However, my favorites were Lindsey Nelson for t.v. & of course John Ward for radio. We were IN New Orleans for the '86 Sugar Bowl, so I didn't listen to Keith then. My Daddy loved hearing KJ, so that's good for me.

Reactions: 1 person
I was much less of a KJ fan when the end of the 1999 Fiesta Bowl became all about him "retiring" instead of TN winning their first Natty in almost 50 years. Then he quickly did a 180 and un-retired. Still, I miss his iconic voice.

Reminds me of the ESPN memorial service for Gary Pinkel a year or so ago. Can't stand that crap.

KJ had a really good game voice. But he was a Woodson Homer for Heisman even after Bob Greise laid out the obvious greatness of PM.

Reactions: 5 people
The 86 Sugar Bowl when Jeft Powell broke a 60 yard TD and sealed the deal in the Sugar Bowl, OH NELLIE R.I.P.

He was great but I kind of resented him because he stole Ward's thunder at the NCG by fake retiring the same time that Ward actually retired

Reactions: 3 people
My favorite memory of him will always be the 1986 Sugar Bowl. At its outset, Jackson and, particularly, Frank Broyles essentially stated that the lowly Tennessee Volunteers should feel privileged to occupy the same field as the mighty Miami Hurricanes. As we proceeded to slaughter the nation’s 2nd-ranked team, their utter astonishment rose to a crescendo until Chris White put the finishing touches on the evening’s festivities with “another [Miami] turnover, setting up another Tennessee touchdown.”

Reactions: 8 people
Reminds me of the ESPN memorial service for Gary Pinkel a year or so ago. Can't stand that crap.

KJ had a really good game voice. But he was a Woodson Homer for Heisman even after Bob Greise laid out the obvious greatness of PM.

Back then ESPN didn't show many SEC games, showed alot of big 10 games go to my grave thinking espn and LEE CORSO changed many voter minds the last 2 weeks, the 1 punt return did Manning in, one stinking punt return won the Trophy for Charles what a shame GO TO H@LL CORSO AND ESPN.:banghead2:

Reactions: 4 people
My favorite memory of him will always be the 1986 Sugar Bowl. At its outset, Jackson and, particularly, Frank Broyles essentially stated that the lowly Tennessee Volunteers should feel privileged to occupy the same field as the mighty Miami Hurricanes. As we proceeded to slaughter the nation’s 2nd-ranked team, their utter astonishment rose to a crescendo until Chris White put the finishing touches on the evening’s festivities with “another [Miami] turnover, setting up another Tennessee touchdown.”

Remember when Powell broke the 60 yard run and Broyals said Bennie Blades has world class speed and was trying to run Powell down and Powell went of and left him like he was sitting still and Keith spoke up and said i wonder what kind of speed Powell has Blades has world class speed that run sealed the deal and a party broke out for a week.:clapping:

Reactions: 1 person
Back then ESPN didn't show many SEC games, showed alot of big 10 games go to my grave thinking espn and LEE CORSO changed many voter minds the last 2 weeks, the 1 punt return did Manning in, one stinking punt return won the Trophy for Charles what a shame GO TO H@LL CORSO AND ESPN.:banghead2:

Pretty simple, imo.
Tennessee beats Florida and Manning wins Heisman.

Reactions: 2 people
One of the best at his calling.

I recall later in his career, when he got a UT game at Neyland he would rail on the orange jerseys with white numerals... could not see the numbers clearly from the booth.... wanted a black trim makes it easier to see. UT did trim the numbers the following season. That was another good call.

Always liked his saying “The leaves are starting to turn in the Smokies”. One of my favorite Keith Jackson Tenn highlights was the Tenn- Auburn game in 1985 one of the bigger wins we have ever had and if my memory serves correct the last time we beat a number one ranked team.

Remember when Powell broke the 60 yard run and Broyals said Bennie Blades has world class speed and was trying to run Powell down and Powell went of and left him like he was sitting still and Keith spoke up and said i wonder what kind of speed Powell has Blades has world class speed that run sealed the deal and a party broke out for a week.:clapping:

Yes, it was Harry Galbreath, I believe, who absolutely pancaked All-American defensive tackle, Jerome Brown, thus parting the green-and-orange sea for Powell's run to glory.

“The Florida Gators...have staked their claim...to the national championship...”
- Keith Jackson, January 2, 1997

:)

THIS! Jackson was an ABC Big 10 homer for woodson; and even Paraded his bias during the SEC Championship game vs Auburn. Got it on VHS! Sorry; but the Truth stands.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back