Tennessee can win the SEC East in 2018

rocky top buzz

So your first thought is going to be to call me an idiot, so let me clarify. I am not saying UT "will" win the east, and I'm not even saying there is a great probability that they will. I am saying they "can" win the east. Lets break down the division by team:

- Florida: Tennessee broke the streak in 2016 and in 2017 1 play made the difference in possibly winning. 1 play where Florida committed multiple fouls that were not called. Let me re-state this; the WORST UT TEAM EVER could have beat florida last year if not for 1 play. Yes I know they have a new coach, but I don't expect Mullen to have the success in year 1 that he had at MSST after several years. And lets remember he was not their first choice so the fan base will turn on him quickly if things don't start great. The type of player that chooses UF (entitled) is not the same personality who chooses MSST (something to prove) and I don't think he has the personality to handle them.

- Georgia: When I look at Kirby Smart I see a coach like Phil Fulmer; a good coach who will succeed on how good a staff he has. Georgia was very lucky this year, they only had 1 starter injured (Eason) and had a very capable backup, and in that offense until the last game he really was a game manager. Their 2 graduating RB's carried the load. Auburn showed the blueprint to beat them, but we all know it's tough to beat the same team twice in a season. Georgia loses 31 seniors plus any juniors who go to the NFL. Yes they have a good class coming in but this could certainly be a rebuilding year for them. Georgia ran over the worst SEC East in history; I don't expect that will continue.

- South Carolina: I think Muschamp has learned a lot from his time at Florida, but the only reason he won over UT last year is because he had Butch's number. 15-9, does that really sound like a juggernaut? Tennessee still has more talent than SCAR, and they barely won last year. Beating SCAR gave Tennessee a resurgence a few years ago and can do so again in 2018.

- Mizzou: I don't really know what to make of Mizzou. If you look at talent they simply don't have the atheletes to hang with UT or Georgia or Florida. But they did last year beating UT and UF and hanging with UGA. Their players fit their mold much like GT has players that fit what they do even if they aren' 5 stars. Mizzou loses Heupel and his high powered offense and with the talent differential, UT should win this game most of the time.

- Kentucky: Once again UT should always out-talent the cats. I don't make much of Mark Stoops, he is a decent coach but I don't think he will out-scheme Pruitt. This is a game the players should be up for and I expect big things.

- Vandy: This may be the biggest shocker of all. Vandy and UT battled for worst in the East last year, and vandy looked head-and-shoulders above the Vols. Yes, there was an interim coach involved but the year prior Tennessee was embarrassed by vandy and you can't blame that on an interim. Injuries and this game being the end of the season have been contributors to the last 2 losses, but simply put, for Tennessee to get where they want to get they have to consistently win this game.

- BONUS - Auburn: Last time Gus got a big contract extension was after the 2013 BCS loss. HE followed that with a 8-5 season. He got a big contract after the bama win and proceeded to overlook your 2017 National Champion UCF Knights in the peach bowl. Auburn is certainly the more talented team right now but how motivated is Gus? He is fat and happy and would be easy to overlook UT.

Simply put, there is a path to success in 2018. The SEC East was bad last year and the West really wasn't all that much better. I'm not posting this to say I think Pruitt will be the 2nd coming of Neyland but I am saying I think this team is a better team than 4-8 and they have a chance to prove it.

Reactions: 27 people
Too bad you’ll get slaughtered for this, that was a well-thought out enjoyable read. I agree with most of your assessments. I think we should be 8-4. Anything over that would be outstanding.

Reactions: 9 people
Georgia then everyone else. Our chances for winning the east are slim to none. Will be happy with 7 wins with this brutal schedule. Not to mention with uga, I think Swift is better than either Chubb or Michel.

Reactions: 3 people
Too bad you’ll get slaughtered for this, that was a well-thought out enjoyable read. I agree with most of your assessments. I think we should be 8-4. Anything over that would be outstanding.

Thank you for reading! It appears you were right, and as I suspected most just read the headline...

Thinking we actually have a "good" chance at beating any SEC team is over the top. Imo

Do you really think Tennessee was as bad as its record? Definitely could have beaten Florida Kentucky and South Carolina. Play pretty good against LSU to as I recall, at least for a bit. That was the worst record of any Tennessee team ever, that was not the least talented ever. Unfortunately we were out-coached in many games.

Reactions: 11 people
We just don't have the talent right now. Especially not at critical positions like CB and Oline.

Qb- C
RB- B
WR-C
OL- F
DL-C+
LB-C+ with Kirkland
CB-F
Safeties-B- with TK

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Thinking we actually have a "good" chance at beating any SEC team is over the top. Imo

Time will prove that the talent was there, the scheme and inept player development were not. I don’t think we will win the East by any means, and neither did the OP say he did. I think 8-4 is a realistic and fair goal however.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
So are you saying its like a click bait headline? Why do that? Why not make a headline comparable to what you are writing?

umm... click bait would mean you had to click to know the purpose of an article. The headline was that Tennessee "can" win the east but as I suspected many people would read me saying they "can" as me saying they "will." 2 different things.

Reactions: 6 people
We just don't have the talent right now. Especially not at critical positions like CB and Oline.

Qb- C
RB- B
WR-C
OL- F
DL-C+
LB-C+ with Kirkland
CB-F
Safeties-B- with TK

Are you grading based on Talent? Or are you grading on their performance in this most previous season? I think that is the difference, I think they are more talented than they played. I think we are better at quarterback and wide receiver than you give credit for. I definitely think our o-line will be better with more aggressive coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you really think Tennessee was as bad as its record? Definitely could have beaten Florida Kentucky and South Carolina. Play pretty good against LSU to as I recall, at least for a bit. That was the worst record of any Tennessee team ever, that was not the least talented ever. Unfortunately we were out-coached in many games.

We were definitely out coached. But we could have lost a few close games that we won as well. I do think we will win a couple SEC games next year.

Are you grading based on Talent? Or are you grading on their performance in this most previous season? I think that is the difference, I think they are more talented than they played. I think we are better at quarterback and wide receiver than you give credit for. I definitely think our o-line will be better with more aggressive coaching.

Not only are our wide receivers not good, they're not overly talented either. A lot of 3 star guys out there.

Offense line has lost almost every talented player it had. We got Smith back and Richmond. That's really it.

So your first thought is going to be to call me an idiot, so let me clarify. I am not saying UT "will" win the east, and I'm not even saying there is a great probability that they will. I am saying they "can" win the east. Lets break down the division by team:

- Florida: Tennessee broke the streak in 2016 and in 2017 1 play made the difference in possibly winning. 1 play where Florida committed multiple fouls that were not called. Let me re-state this; the WORST UT TEAM EVER could have beat florida last year if not for 1 play. Yes I know they have a new coach, but I don't expect Mullen to have the success in year 1 that he had at MSST after several years. And lets remember he was not their first choice so the fan base will turn on him quickly if things don't start great. The type of player that chooses UF (entitled) is not the same personality who chooses MSST (something to prove) and I don't think he has the personality to handle them.

- Georgia: When I look at Kirby Smart I see a coach like Phil Fulmer; a good coach who will succeed on how good a staff he has. Georgia was very lucky this year, they only had 1 starter injured (Eason) and had a very capable backup, and in that offense until the last game he really was a game manager. Their 2 graduating RB's carried the load. Auburn showed the blueprint to beat them, but we all know it's tough to beat the same team twice in a season. Georgia loses 31 seniors plus any juniors who go to the NFL. Yes they have a good class coming in but this could certainly be a rebuilding year for them. Georgia ran over the worst SEC East in history; I don't expect that will continue.

- South Carolina: I think Muschamp has learned a lot from his time at Florida, but the only reason he won over UT last year is because he had Butch's number. 15-9, does that really sound like a juggernaut? Tennessee still has more talent than SCAR, and they barely won last year. Beating SCAR gave Tennessee a resurgence a few years ago and can do so again in 2018.

- Mizzou: I don't really know what to make of Mizzou. If you look at talent they simply don't have the atheletes to hang with UT or Georgia or Florida. But they did last year beating UT and UF and hanging with UGA. Their players fit their mold much like GT has players that fit what they do even if they aren' 5 stars. Mizzou loses Heupel and his high powered offense and with the talent differential, UT should win this game most of the time.

- Kentucky: Once again UT should always out-talent the cats. I don't make much of Mark Stoops, he is a decent coach but I don't think he will out-scheme Pruitt. This is a game the players should be up for and I expect big things.

- Vandy: This may be the biggest shocker of all. Vandy and UT battled for worst in the East last year, and vandy looked head-and-shoulders above the Vols. Yes, there was an interim coach involved but the year prior Tennessee was embarrassed by vandy and you can't blame that on an interim. Injuries and this game being the end of the season have been contributors to the last 2 losses, but simply put, for Tennessee to get where they want to get they have to consistently win this game.

- BONUS - Auburn: Last time Gus got a big contract extension was after the 2013 BCS loss. HE followed that with a 8-5 season. He got a big contract after the bama win and proceeded to overlook your 2017 National Champion UCF Knights in the peach bowl. Auburn is certainly the more talented team right now but how motivated is Gus? He is fat and happy and would be easy to overlook UT.

Simply put, there is a path to success in 2018. The SEC East was bad last year and the West really wasn't all that much better. I'm not posting this to say I think Pruitt will be the 2nd coming of Neyland but I am saying I think this team is a better team than 4-8 and they have a chance to prove it.
We are going to come after them no matter what. I think we can shut down anyone of these teams at any given time and win them all. Pressure the quarterback, stop the run, and lock down the receivers and you have a recipe for winning in 2018. I think Pruitt can be Smart in any given year. I also think he is a better coach than Smart. Georgia may be in a shock mode if we beat them in Athens. It may just happen.:thud::):clapping::good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Not only are our wide receivers not good, they're not overly talented either. A lot of 3 star guys out there.

Offense line has lost almost every talented player it had. We got Smith back and Richmond. That's really it.

I will agree the o-line would be my perceived weakness based on lack of depth. But I do think hope they are better coached.

I’ll have what your drinking! I believe we have lost to much talent to win all those games! 6 is durable this year!!!

I’ll have what your drinking! I believe we have lost to much talent to win all those games! 6 is durable this year!!!

I'm not saying 6 wins is a bad year. I'm saying at this point no one in the east is unbeatable. We were out of the Georgia game after the 1st snap due to coaching. once we got past bama Butch lost the team. If UT can start 3-0 and healthy we have options!

I will agree the o-line would be my perceived weakness based on lack of depth. But I do think hope they are better coached.

Not just lack of depth. Lack of talent. Who else do you have besides Smith and Richmond? We have a juco we hope does well and that's about it

And we don't have much at all at CB. Just Shamburger. Maybe Osbourne or Byrd does well

VN Store

Back