Finebaum: For TN A Bowl Game Would Be Impressive

Coug

For a team that was 0-8 in the SEC last year and having just hired Pruitt, the Vols would be lucky to go to a bowl game.

tn2018.jpg

Considering reality it's hard to argue this.

Find 6 wins in that schedule. Go ahead, give it a shot.

Reactions: 6 people
I got us going 4-8 or 5-7, 6-6 would be a outstanding year considering all the players we are losing and our schedule is absolutely brutal.

Reactions: 2 people
6 wins would be good, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "impressive" since we have more cupcakes on our schedule than usual (ETSU, UTEP, and UNC-C). I'd say 7-5 would be impressive.

Our schedule is very polarized. 3 easy wins and 3 games that are almost sure losses (Auburn, Bama, UGA). How we fare in the other 6 is what's going to matter. Certainly, with the amount of talent we have, we really should be beating Vandy and Kentucky. If we can do that, then we only need to win 1 more of the "toss-ups" (Florida, WV, Mizzou, SCe) to get to a bowl game. In spite of the VN perception that Florida will be tough, I actually think Florida is the one on the "toss-up" list that we should win. They are in a worse situation than us right now and it's going to take them a couple of years to rebuild as well. It's also a home game for us.

Reactions: 27 people
6 wins would be good, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "impressive" since we have more cupcakes on our schedule than usual (ETSU, UTEP, and UNC-C). I'd say 7-5 would be impressive.

Our schedule is very polarized. 3 easy wins and 3 games that are almost sure losses (Auburn, Bama, UGA). How we fare in the other 6 is what's going to matter. Certainly, with the amount of talent we have, we really should be beating Vandy and Kentucky. If we can do that, then we only need to win 1 more of the "toss-ups" (Florida, WV, Mizzou, SCe) to get to a bowl game. In spite of the VN perception that Florida will be tough, I actually think Florida is the one on the "toss-up" list that we should win. They are in a worse situation than us right now and it's going to take them a couple of years to rebuild as well. It's also a home game for us.

Spot on, I agree.

WVU blows. UF Blows. UK blows. Vandy Blows. Mizzou Blows. Utep blows. Char blows. ETSU blows. But do we blow more?

Reactions: 8 people
I’m confused why people think Florida is going to take giant leaps but we won’t. Not to mention we play them at home.

Reactions: 25 people
For a team that was 0-8 in the SEC last year and having just hired Pruitt, the Vols would be lucky to go to a bowl game.

tn2018.jpg

Considering reality it's hard to argue this.

Find 6 wins in that schedule. Go ahead, give it a shot.
Not saying we will but we could definitely win the first 4. As well as UK, Vandy, Mizzou, Charlotte, USCe. We won’t win all of those, but 6-8 wins is atleast possible.

Here is how I look at the schedule:

Three for sure losses
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia

Five definite wins
ETSU
Charlotte
UK
Vandy
UTEP

Four toss up games
WVIR
Fla
Mizzou
SCar

My thinking is that a 6-7 win season is the target and should be viewed as a successful first season. Eight or more regular season wins is an overachievement and portends to very good things in the future. A 5 win season would be a major disappointment.

Reactions: 6 people
I’m confused why people think Florida is going to take giant leaps but we won’t. Not to mention we play them at home.

I'm guessing because Florida's season from the get-go was hampered by the suspension of ten players. Couldn't that have a devastating effect on their season? Now the slate is clean (just guessing) they should be starting at full strength.

Why are we curling up in the corner over a WV team that got blown out by a .500 Utah team in a bowl and only beat 2 teams with winning records. Anything short of 7-5 will be a disappointment. We rolled over and played dead in the second half of games this season and I hope and believe new staff fixes that.

Reactions: 7 people
Why are we curling up in the corner over a WV team that got blown out by a .500 Utah team in a bowl and only beat 2 teams with winning records. Anything short of 7-5 will be a disappointment. We rolled over and played dead in the second half of games this season and I hope and believe new staff fixes that.

West Virginia wasn't supposed to be very good this season. They lost most of their skill position talent from '15 and nearly their entire two-deep on defense. Most preseason previews had them as a five or six win team. Next year they return 16 starters and will be ranked in the preseason top 10-15.

Reactions: 4 people
Three for sure losses
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia

Five definite wins
ETSU
Charlotte
UTEP

Four toss up games
WVIR
Fla
Mizzou
UK
Vandy

I think this is closer o where we are now. Even then UF probably should be in the for sure loss column.

The 2019 season though.... who knows. But next year may be spent fixing some serious issues left by the former coaching staff .

Finebaum is in love with himself. It's amazing how many ears pop when he farts. Ignore him and he'll be a used car salesman in 3 months.

We will make huge strides imo. We were in the wrong offensive scheme.

I think you're right. With limited sample size, I thought Hoke had the off we doing a little better going north and south, but team mindset wasn't there. SC and WV will be key games and UF isn't a slam dunk for gators.

I will not even attempt to forecast a won-loss record until I see who will be on the team come this Fall. I expect that a very good signing class will be on board, but have no idea who will survive Spring practice. Maybe by mid August, the team will be determined.

Grier did not play in that game though. I still think he is a good QB. We may want to change his "health supplements" out before the game though. Maybe someone can sell him estrogen tablets and convince him it is the latest anabolic steroid.

West Virginia wasn't supposed to be very good this season. They lost most of their skill position talent from '15 and nearly their entire two-deep on defense. Most preseason previews had them as a five or six win team. Next year they return 16 starters and will be ranked in the preseason top 10-15.

It will be very interesting to see how we stand up against the pass with CJP at the helm. I can't remember when we actually had talent at CB that was coached up and could play consistent man-to-man coverage. If we can do that I think our fortunes change. He's already said more than once that he wants to recruit specific type CBs so I think he's on to something. It starts there and at DT in my book and we've got 3 good DTs coming in.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back