Field of candidates for Vols WR coaching vacancy narrows to three

By John Brice

Posted on January 10, 2018

Jeremy Pruitt has narrowed the field of candidates for his wide receivers’ coaching vacancy to three barring an unexpected contender emerging according to multiple sources in college football and on Rocky Top. A pair of candidates with deep Atlantic Coast Conference ties and an in-state assistant coach have interviewed for what, right now, is the final position on Pruitt’s inaugural staff.

Former Florida State assistant/co-offensive coordinator Lawrence Dawsey, Memphis wide receivers coach David Johnson, and North Carolina State assistant head coach for offense/recruiting coordinator Des Kitchings have emerged from a crowded field of would-be candidates.

Reactions: 6 people
Get Dawsey state of Florida recruiting is all you need to know plus good WR coach.:lolabove:

i think Dawsey may be the weakest candidate of the 3.
he's been at FSU since 2007....and the new coach didn't want him, and the old coach didn't take him with him to aTm. Pruitt probably has a relationship with him from his time at FSU.

Johnson and Kitchings seem to bring more to the table...Johnson is known as a good recruiter...for memphis standards anyway...and has ties in W TN, and is born/bred Louisiana guy, and i'm sure has relationships down there. both could pay dividends for us recruiting wise. plus he's been able to get very good production from WRs during his time at Memphis.

Kitchings is a bit of a monkey wrench in that he's a RB coach primarily. hiring him i think means you may see CRG move to WR's here, and Kitchings moves to RB's. he's a good coach, and good recruiter, and NC (and whatever regions he's responsible for currently) is another region that we could stand to do better in.

Reactions: 4 people
Get Dawsey state of Florida recruiting is all you need to know plus good WR coach.:lolabove:

I confess that I do not know very much about either of the three but what you said makes sense. Another plus with Dawsey is that he himself was once a WR in the League and that could be a draw for many potential recruits.

We have several coaches with Florida contacts already. I'd prefer Johnson or Kitchings. Johnson gets you Louisiana and West Tennessee and Kitchings seems to have a great reputation as a coach and recruiter.

Reactions: 1 person
i think Dawsey may be the weakest candidate of the 3.
he's been at FSU since 2007....and the new coach didn't want him, and the old coach didn't take him with him to aTm. Pruitt probably has a relationship with him from his time at FSU.

Johnson and Kitchings seem to bring more to the table...Johnson is known as a good recruiter...for memphis standards anyway...and has ties in W TN, and is born/bred Louisiana guy, and i'm sure has relationships down there. both could pay dividends for us recruiting wise. plus he's been able to get very good production from WRs during his time at Memphis.

Kitchings is a bit of a monkey wrench in that he's a RB coach primarily. hiring him i think means you may see CRG move to WR's here, and Kitchings moves to RB's. he's a good coach, and good recruiter, and NC (and whatever regions he's responsible for currently) is another region that we could stand to do better in.

Kitchings played wide receiver in college. He would coach wide receivers at Tennessee if hired.

Dawsey supposedly did not interview very well, some of the FSU fans think that Taggart has tried to get him to stay.

Kitchings played wide receiver in college. He would coach wide receivers at Tennessee if hired.

possible, sure. thought it was interesting yesterday though, that CJP didn't name CRG as running back's coach. just offensive coach.

could be reading too much in to that....but if there is anything to those tea leaves, hiring Kitchings, who is a current RB coach, and has never coached WRs....

well, it's an easy dot to connect is all.

True Jakez, you could be right I just took CJP non comment on CRG as I retained him you know he coaches running backs.

I couldn't see retaining one coach because he coaches your best position on the team & have him change position coaching duties.

Hopefully we see soon like today soon

True Jakez, you could be right I just took CJP non comment on CRG as I retained him you know he coaches running backs.

I couldn't see retaining one coach because he coaches your best position on the team & have him change position coaching duties.

Hopefully we see soon like today soon

i'll just say this...isn't that why you would move a coach around, because he IS GOOD at coaching???

and it's a chance to develop CRG. lots of coaches have coached different positions at one time or another. i don't think that move would be a huge deal....

and from CJP's perspective, why pigeon hole yourself in to only being able to hire a WR coach, if you have guys that you believe are capable of moving around, and giving you the flexibility to go out and just find a great coach....

anywho...it's all speculation on my part. i don't know that any of that will happen. just reading tea leaves based on Kitchings current role and who could move around the staff...

Dawsey supposedly did not interview very well, some of the FSU fans think that Taggart has tried to get him to stay.

From December 21, 2017:

Florida State has reportedly made a change to its coaching ranks.

According to Warchant.com, wide receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey has been relieved of his duties. Dawsey has been on the coaching staff since 2007, following three seasons at the same position at South Florida.

However, it does not mean that Dawsey is off the Seminoles coaching staff completely. Warchant.com also reports that he is looking to remain with the team in some form or fashion.

[...]

Florida State is reportedly targeting Miami wide receivers coach Ron Dugans for the same position in Tallahassee.

Report: Lawrence Dawsey out as Florida State wide receivers coach

Reactions: 2 people
Was really hoping that it would be Rush Propst.

He could still join the staff at some point but he wouldn't be hired till after National Signing Day regardless. We couldn't sign Peterson if Propst was already on staff. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they are doing. Not sure what position and when the additional Coach can be added this month. I personally don't want Propst anywhere near Knoxville but will support any hire JP makes. My nephew and his best friend played for Propst at Hoover and there's very few more Shady Coach's than him. He's a helluva Coach though I'll give him that.

i don't think you go wrong either way. Kitchings has the p5 experience and has been a a top 50 recruiter nationally, top 5 in ACC. i think that may give him an edge there.

but Johnson seems like his recruiting could probably take off at a program like TN, and he seems to be a pretty good developer of talent.

there's merit in both. don't know enough about either one to say definitively one way or the other.

Reactions: 2 people
He could still join the staff at some point but he wouldn't be hired till after National Signing Day regardless. We couldn't sign Peterson if Propst was already on staff. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they are doing. Not sure what position and when the additional Coach can be added this month. I personally don't want Propst anywhere near Knoxville but will support any hire JP makes. My nephew and his best friend played for Propst at Hoover and there's very few more Shady Coach's than him. He's a helluva Coach though I'll give him that.

you can't hire him after NSD in an off field role. there's a two year window before AND after a kid enrolls at your school, on hiring a coach.

plus there's already a kid on the roster from that HS that would fall in to the two years AFTER.

the only way Propst gets hired AND you keep JJ and the kid already on the roster is to put him on the field.

Hopefully it's Kitching's

Coach Kitchings was a TE/STC at Furman. Later at Vanderbilt he was promoted from RB coach to OC in 2010 under Coach Caldwell: Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Vanderbilt University

He is currently the Recruiting Coordinator and RB coach at NC State. The young man is certainly an up-and-comer.

And then there is this:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aygZIhCQV_0[/YOUTUBE]

Does Coach Kitchings have a little Woody Hayes in him?

you can't hire him after NSD in an off field role. there's a two year window before AND after a kid enrolls at your school, on hiring a coach.

plus there's already a kid on the roster from that HS that would fall in to the two years AFTER.

the only way Propst gets hired AND you keep JJ and the kid already on the roster is to put him on the field.

Exactly. Thats why I was curious when the additional on the field Coach comes into affect?? Think it was the 9th. Nevermind we already have 9 and still have to hire a WR Coach. No way Propst leaves his 6 figure HS salary as a HC for an off the field position. That's actually a relief he needs to stay far away from Knoxville.

Johnson helped and continued to develop a walk on, Anthony Miller, and turned him into arguably the best receiver in college football. Can’t have better coaching credibility than that. Also has relationships in Louisiana.

Memphis fans are antsy about losing him. Makes me feel good about it.

Reactions: 4 people
Coach Kitchings was a TE/STC at Furman. Later at Vanderbilt he was promoted from RB coach to OC in 2010 under Coach Caldwell: Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Vanderbilt University

He is currently the Recruiting Coordinator and RB coach at NC State. The young man is certainly an up-and-comer.

And then there is this:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aygZIhCQV_0[/YOUTUBE]

Does Coach Kitchings have a little Woody Hayes in him?

He was just getting DeShaun "On his Way".

VN Store

Back