Coaches and talent

orangepeopleeater

With a new coaching staff I was wondering if you see players that didn't shine the last few years make major improvements now. With actual coaching and game planning the product may be vastly different. This maybe the reason for the exodus of players for the NFL. They are worried that with actual coaching they may fade behind.

Reactions: 3 people
There is no doubt a lot of players have left Tennessee over the past few years and been very successful elsewhere. It is possible. Butch's classes were all highly ranked.

Reactions: 1 person
We were soft and the team quit at the end of the year. This is definitely a 6 or 7 win team with the pieces we have and everyone should improve.

We were soft and the team quit at the end of the year. This is definitely a 6 or 7 win team with the pieces we have and everyone should improve.

If you went to the first game in Atlanta, when they got lucky to squeak by GTech...you could see it on the field, and feel it in the stadium, it was like they weren't there heart-wise committed per se...and so went the season and story...maybe it was a team leadership issue, maybe coaches...dunno, I'm just sayin'.

Reactions: 2 people
If you went to the first game in Atlanta, when they got lucky to squeak by GTech...you could see it on the field, and feel it in the stadium, it was like they weren't there heart-wise committed per se...and so went the season and story...maybe it was a team leadership issue, maybe coaches...dunno, I'm just sayin'.

There’s no way the 2017 team should’ve gotten skull dragged by Missouri coached by Barry f****** Odom and Vandy at home, even with Will McBride at QB. Should’ve won the SC and UF games, too.

Reactions: 6 people
2017 team didn't make good use of their off time. They seemed to work during structured time, but they did not eat, drink and sleep football.

The conservative game plans across the board didn't help them either.

UT never meshed as a unit. The adversity was in existence before the season even started. 3 new coaches on offense, Scott, Wells, and Beard, coming off a sub par 2016 season where we actually shot ourself in the feet not once, but twice, with losses to USCe and Vandy that cost UT a share of the east and a Sugar Bowl bid. Having an out-going AD cost UT because coach Jones should have been shown the door immediately following the Vandy loss. The QB battle with the loss of Jennings in the 1st game likely were the final nails in the Vols coffin.

Summing the matter up, we, as a team, have fallen behind UGA much more than should ever occurred. I think we've fallen behind USCe also. UF had their own problems to overcome. On the bright side UT's defense didn't suffer as bad as UT's offense and one reason the stats are so bad is due to the overwhelming length of time the defense had to be on the field. These negatives can be turned positive rather quickly,IMO under current coach Pruitt. A.Smith and DKjr along with Tkjr need to step up their game and their conditioning immediately.Ignont should be coming into his own and Sapp and Bituli should improve more. Not sure about S.Reid and how he'll fit but we should be in some games this year based on defense alone.

Offense is simply a total rebuild. A new playbook is coming in anyway I presume. I don't think Helton wanted Martinez to flip to Nebraska and all I recall reading about that was pruitt and Helton dropped in on martinez on a recruiting trip. As for QB's it seems that Helton prefers a pure pocket passer and I'm not sure UT has a highly rated one that can step right in and play. Of course I'm gonna use UGA as the measuring stick currently and the largest gap is along the OL. This disparity isn't going away anytime soon. UT will have to out recruit other teams and try and develop what it has to a higher standard to get on a championship level in about Pruitt's 3rd year and that's a minimum,IMO. Would be great to get J.Valentin on the roster this year. Would be a huge boost.

Last edited:
UT never meshed as a unit. The adversity was in existence before the season even started. 3 new coaches on offense, Scott, Wells, and Beard, coming off a sub par 2016 season where we actually shot ourself in the feet not once, but twice, with losses to USCe and Vandy that cost UT a share of the east and a Sugar Bowl bid. Having an out-going AD cost UT because coach Jones should have been shown the door immediately following the Vandy loss. The QB battle with the loss of Jennings in the 1st game likely were the final nails in the Vols coffin.

Summing the matter up, we, as a team, have fallen behind UGA much more than should ever occurred. I think we've fallen behind USCe also. UF had their own problems to overcome. On the bright side UT's defense didn't suffer as bad as UT's offense and one reason the stats are so bad is due to the overwhelming length of time the defense had to be on the field. These negatives can be turned positive rather quickly,IMO under current coach Pruitt. A.Smith and DKjr along with Tkjr need to step up their game and their conditioning immediately.Ignont should be coming into his own and Sapp and Bituli should improve more. Not sure about S.Reid and how he'll fit but we should be in some games this year based on defense alone.

Offense is simply a total rebuild. A new playbook is coming in anyway I presume. I don't think Helton wanted Martinez to flip to Nebraska and all I recall reading about that was pruitt and Helton dropped in on martinez on a recruiting trip. As for QB's it seems that Helton prefers a pure pocket passer and I'm not sure UT has a highly rated one that can step right in and play. Of course I'm gonna use UGA as the measuring stick currently and the largest gap is along the OL. This disparity isn't going away anytime soon. UT will have to out recruit other teams and try and develop what it has to a higher standard to get on a championship level in about Pruitt's 3rd year and that's a minimum,IMO. Would be great to get J.Valentin on the roster this year. Would be a huge boost.
Nah man, we didn't get out talented once last year save Bama. Terrible coaching cost us 3-4 games in a rebuilding year. Should win 8 or so games next year in year 1. Look for marked improvement the next year.

Reactions: 4 people
Jimmys and Joes, not Xs and Os.. Get great players have great teams, get good players, have good teams, get average players have average teams,, When the injuries come in mass, great teams are still good, good teams are average, and average teams will suck

I think folks that were red shirts or biding time will step out and go. I think Will Ignont (sp) will gain a lot from Pruitt and his staff. I expect Tuttle to go all in and Khalil all out. The tough will get tougher and the others will be gone. Some who think they can fool coaches like they did Butch will try to get into the NFL to only be very disappointed.

I think folks that were red shirts or biding time will step out and go. I think Will Ignont (sp) will gain a lot from Pruitt and his staff. I expect Tuttle to go all in and Khalil all out. The tough will get tougher and the others will be gone. Some who think they can fool coaches like they did Butch will try to get into the NFL to only be very disappointed.

Khalil declared for the draft

with a new coaching staff i was wondering if you see players that didn't shine the last few years make major improvements now. With actual coaching and game planning the product may be vastly different. This maybe the reason for the exodus of players for the nfl. they are worried that with actual coaching they may fade behind.

giphy.gif

There was no "heart" to the 2017 team, or as our Marine brothers would say, no "Esprit de Corps." That is something that cannot be "coached..." it must be inspired.

Nah man, we didn't get out talented once last year save Bama. Terrible coaching cost us 3-4 games in a rebuilding year. Should win 8 or so games next year in year 1. Look for marked improvement the next year.

You don't think GA had more talent?

I'm not worried about the defense. Pruitt will get them playing good real quick imo. The offense is what worries me. Quality and depth at O-Line is a huge issue, other than Trey Smith I haven't seen one guy on our O-Line play with SEC physicality the past 2 seasons. I think we have pretty good talent at the skill positions, but if the O-Line stinks it's going to be hard to do much of anything.

I'm also a little worried about Helton as OC, mainly because USC's offense largely underperformed for much of the season. Maybe this was because they had 2 or 3 different play callers (Tee, Tyson Helton, and Clay Helton) depending on who you ask, maybe expectations/pressure were a little too big for them this year, or maybe they just weren't as good as good as everyone thought they would be. All I know is UT's offense can't get any worse than it was last year, but it needs to get a lot better if we're going to be a legitimate threat in the SEC again.

The plus side to all of this is that the coaching will be better. It, like our offense, cannot be any worse than what it was in 2017. Butch set the bar high for dumb a** coaching decisions.

Go Vols!

I think our new O will be a mix of a few different things and here's why...

At Western Kentucky Helton worked with Coach Brohm and they had a type of high flying "air raid" O that put loads of points on the scoreboard with well planned passing attacks.

We also know that Helton has been taught by his brother at USC and probably for several years so a mix of those 2 types of O's will be seen at Tennessee.

Always remember that Coach Friend has also been a OC so I expect to see Pruitt have Helton and Friend working closely together to design our O systems and they'l probably be talking lots during our games.

Pruitt is mostly a D coach but you can bet he knows lots about the O side of the ball too and he was very smart to bring in both Helton and Friend to work together to get us a O system that will work in the SEC and have all the options we need to attack most any type of D.

We just need LOTS more players that are SEC/Championship type players and a few years of good recruiting will fix that.

Thank God that we now have so many really good recruiters that are also solid teaching coaches.

VFL...GBO!!!

Yes, I believe a few "new" players will shine under the new coaches and system/scheme.

To be honest, it seemed to me the old coaching staff at times would just take a player because of having an available scholarship regardless if the recruit fit in the system [offense or defense] being used. It was like.....well, we have a scholarship available, so let's offer it to that 4 star safety---he seemed to like it here. If he can't make it at safety, we will try him at cornerback or even linebacker.....after all he was a 4 star.....we will find somewhere for him.

Jimmys and Joes, not Xs and Os.. Get great players have great teams, get good players, have good teams, get average players have average teams,, When the injuries come in mass, great teams are still good, good teams are average, and average teams will suck

It is about x's and o's, but the ones who achieve consistently have coaching and development as big part. You think Butch would have had the guts to do what Saban did and switch QB's...that's why they won...he made a daring decision, backed up with coaching and development. A frosh doesn't come in and win the game like that without development. This is where 2018 staff should far outshine previous 3 regimes.

VN Store

Back