Aside From Recruiting, What Should CJP Focus On First After Tonight?

Matt2496

I feel that the first thing Coach Jeremy Pruitt should focus on is LoS play. We got pushed around at the LoS last year on both sides of the ball. As a result, we were winless in the SEC, a LoS league, which is completely unacceptable.

Below are two major issues that stem from last year's poor LoS play:

1. Since the OL couldn't block, the QB and RB play suffered.

2. DL got some push up front, but could not sustain that push over 60 minutes due to offense not being able to keep them off the field.

This is where I feel CJP needs to focus first. If he can improve our OL, I expect to see QB and RB play improve significantly and, as a result, significantly improve our offense. Also, if our offense improves, our defense will improve as well.

What are your thoughts?

I believe him and Sherrer are going to get their sleeves rolled up in the trenches. Too much work to do with a lot of underdeveloped talent in the front 7. I am actually excited about Pruitt getting Sherrer.

With Pruitt being a defensive guy, I sure hope he turns the QB's over to Ty Helton and let him run wild with them.

Reactions: 5 people

2. DL got some push up front, but could not sustain that push over 60 minutes due to offense not being able to keep them off the field.

What are your thoughts?

Every day, of every week (not just 3 hrs, 1 day in Oct), this year's Offense will have to play against Pruitt's Defensive -- the Offense should improve.

Reactions: 1 person
He can’t coach anybody until Spring practice, so I’m not sure how he’s gonna “focus on play in the trenches”, other than recruit better players and have the proper strength and conditioning programs in place for his OLs and DLs to get bigger, stronger and more explosive.

So, right now, aside from just general organizational stuff and PR obligations, it’s gotta be all about recruiting and strength & conditioning imho.

Reactions: 3 people
1. Confirming his staff and defining roles!
2. Morale boosting! Get up for UT or Get Out!
3. Work on the lines! Offense and Defense!
4. Get Helton working with QB ASAP.
JMO! I am not a coach! I trust he will do everything he can to put the best UT product on the field he can come September!

It will take every second of his time between now and spring just to get his systems in place.

Exactly what the offense and defense will look like. Coaching terminology, etc. He has to work with the S&C coach to get the program in place ASAP, put together a schedule for spring. Formulate how they are going to practice, what drills to use, who runs them. There is a TON of work to be done before the players hit the field this spring.

Last edited:
Burning all his Bama gear and memorizing all the words to Rocky Top...

Ok maybe improving player development and coming up with an offensive scheme that fits our personnel.

Reactions: 4 people
Completely decontaminate the football facilities. Remove any trace of the last three administrations and two coaches. Find any traces or relics left from Hamilton and sacrifice them to the football gods. Vow "Never Again" to effeminate football with reminding posters planted throughout the facility.

Reactions: 6 people
1.Tell every player that the best player will play at each position...
2. If you soft hit the doors
3. Lets get to work

Reactions: 7 people
I believe the offense you'll see in 2018 will be vastly different in the coming years.
With the lack of depth on the OLine the pocket will need to move and the QB will need to be mobile.

Standing in the pocket waiting for the WR to come open, unwillingness to actually scramble and pick up 5 yards results in 4-8 seasons. Along with injured QB's

Ok maybe improving player development and coming up with an offensive scheme that fits our personnel.

Preferably get a Smokey Orange Tattoo. Just as an insurance policy

I believe the offense you'll see in 2018 will be vastly different in the coming years.
With the lack of depth on the OLine the pocket will need to move and the QB will need to be mobile.

Standing in the pocket waiting for the WR to come open, unwillingness to actually scramble and pick up 5 yards results in 4-8 seasons. Along with injured QB's

Don't necessarily need a mobile QB. If you look at USC, Darnold wasn't quick, but a lot of Helton's playcalling and playbook had quite a bit of rolling pocket passing. Essentially, Helton needs the Kiffin playbook that worked wonders with Crompton.

However, I am not so worried about offensive line. At the end of the day, we've recruited a lot of talented players on the offensive line. Just because they haven't been developed, that doesn't mean the talent went away. I truly am not worried about our line because we have a quality OC that know how run an offense based on strengths and weaknesses.

He played for Alabama in 1995 and 1996.

1995: Tennessee 41, Alabama 14
1996: Tennessee 20, Alabama 13

I'd say he's painfully familiar with the words to Rocky Top.

Reactions: 9 people
I feel that the first thing Coach Jeremy Pruitt should focus on is LoS play. We got pushed around at the LoS last year on both sides of the ball. As a result, we were winless in the SEC, a LoS league, which is completely unacceptable.

This is where I feel CJP needs to focus first. If he can improve our OL, I expect to see QB and RB play improve significantly and, as a result, significantly improve our offense. Also, if our offense improves, our defense will improve as well.

What are your thoughts?

Well you have given me an easy one. Other than recruiting between now and mid - February his focus should be on the following:

Again, other than recruiting. Recruiting being 1st on his list.

2nd. Recruiting
3rd. Recruiting
4th. Recruiting
5th. Recruiting
6th. Recruiting
7th. Recruiting
8th. Recruiting
9th. Recruiting
10th. Recruiting
etc. etc.

Reactions: 2 people
The offense isn’t as bad as it looks
It helps that we’ll have a competent OC in the booth

One on one meetings with players. Staff organization and clearly defining rolls for each. Film study to familiarize staff with players and their abilities ( this leads to a whole list of tasks related to s&c and possible position changes). Begin the sale of "attitude" to everyone associated with the program.

On a side note, hope someone (Fulmer's wife?) has taken the Pruitt family under their wing to help ease the transition from T Town to Knoxburg, from ass't coach wife to HC wife, from somewhat known to local celebrity.Need housing, tour of area, list of preschools in the area, list of who's who in the local and university community.

He should focus initially on destroying with fire any apparel,document, memento, or keepsake contaminated with the accursed Crimson A. He can then be baptized in the Tennessee River outside Neyland Stadium and begin his blessed new life at Tennessee and don the mantle of Robert Neyland,Johnny Majors, and Phillip Fulmer untainted by sin or corruption associated with the hated Tide.

either

a) recovering from a massive hangover of winning a national championship

or

b) recovering from a massive hangover of not winning a national championship

that would be JP's first order of business

the next would be having his wife throw away all crimson clothing

VN Store

Back