Neyland Historians I Need Some Help

cherokeechief

I'm writing a book set near Knoxville in the summer of 1936. I'm hoping that it was possible to have a chance encounter with General Neyland during that time and allow the general to be a benefactor and help our protagonist on his journey. I understand Neyland served a one year stint in Panama, causing him to miss the 1935 season. Does anyone know what month he possibly returned to Knoxville to coach the Vols once more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm writing a book set near Knoxville in the summer of 1936. I'm hoping that it was possible to have a chance encounter with General Neyland during that time and allow the general to be a benefactor and help our protagonist on his journey. I understand Neyland served a one year stint in Panama, causing him to miss the 1935 season. Does anyone know what month he possibly returned to Knoxville to coach the Vols once more?

Give me a little bit and ill do some research to see if there are any, biographies or archives that would have that info for you, being a student i have access to more archive banks than the normal google searcher.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks so much. I sort of thought someone on the board would know something or be able to locate some info on his whereabouts that summer.

Thanks again.

If you're writing a book, no idea if you can pull it off, but I'd imagine if you could manage to somehow get an interview w/ Gus Manning, he'd be about the best primary source you could get, since Neyland hired him.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know where my copy currently is, but I suspect that you will find that info in Neyland: The Gridiron General by Bob Gilbert. Originally published in 1990 by Golden Coast, this book has long been out of print, but, if it is that important, you should not have any difficulty borrowing a copy via inter-library loan. Assuming that an archivist is employed by the Knoxville News Sentinel, you could contact that person and ask him/her if they could determine through a search of 1936 issues precisely when Neyland returned from Panama.

Incidentally, is your book supposed to be biographical, historical or historical fiction? If it is historical fiction, that is the kind of detail about which you could exercise some literary license.

For the record, the 1935 game was the one in which Bear Bryant played against Tennessee with a fractured fibula.

P.S. According to this article (News Sentinel archives to be digitized), KNS is in the process of digitizing their collection of old issues of the paper. As of April 01, 2016, "back issues of the newspaper are only available on microfilm, organized by date. In the new system, readers will be able to search entire years from 1922 to 1990 by names and keywords. The Knox County Public Library Foundation . . . has completed a $650,000 fundraising campaign for the project thanks to a newly-formed partnership with the University of Tennessee. The relationship means UT students, faculty and staff also will have access to the digital archives along with Knox County Library card-holders. . . . The library has digitized two years so far, 1940 and 1982."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I don't know where my copy currently is, but I suspect that you will find that info in Neyland: The Gridiron General by Bob Gilbert. Originally published in 1990 by Golden Coast, this book has long been out of print, but, if it is that important, you should not have any difficulty borrowing a copy via inter-library loan. Assuming that one is employed by the Knoxville News Sentinel, you could contact that person and ask him/her if they could determine through a search of 1936 issues precisely when Neyland returned from Panama.

Incidentally, is your book supposed to be biographical, historical or historical fiction? If it is historical fiction, that is the kind of detail about which you could exercise some literary license.

For the record, the 1935 game was the one in which Bear Bryant played against Tennessee with a fractured fibula.

P.S. According to this article (News Sentinel archives to be digitized), KNS is in the process of digitizing their collection of old issues of the paper. As of April 01, 2016, "back issues of the newspaper are only available on microfilm, organized by date. In the new system, readers will be able to search entire years from 1922 to 1990 by names and keywords. The Knox County Public Library Foundation . . . has completed a $650,000 fundraising campaign for the project thanks to a newly-formed partnership with the University of Tennessee. The relationship means UT students, faculty and staff also will have access to the digital archives along with Knox County Library card-holders. . . . The library has digitized two years so far, 1940 and 1982."

There is 4 or 5 copies on eBay. The cheapest is $28.00.

and there were people saying Vol fans can't even read...guess that'll show'em...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know where my copy currently is, but I suspect that you will find that info in Neyland: The Gridiron General by Bob Gilbert. Originally published in 1990 by Golden Coast, this book has long been out of print, but, if it is that important, you should not have any difficulty borrowing a copy via inter-library loan. Assuming that an archivist is employed by the Knoxville News Sentinel, you could contact that person and ask him/her if they could determine through a search of 1936 issues precisely when Neyland returned from Panama.

Fantastic book.

Reactions: 2 people
Upon retiring from the Army, Neyland returned to Knoxville in the spring of 1936 to pick up the pieces of the dismal 1935 season. Brighton stepped aside and became end coach again, Barnhill became the line coach, and Hugh Faust tutored the freshmen
Excerpt from "The Big Orange" . C. 1973 by Russ Bebb. Chapter 32, pg 173.

Reactions: 3 people
If you're writing a book, no idea if you can pull it off, but I'd imagine if you could manage to somehow get an interview w/ Gus Manning, he'd be about the best primary source you could get, since Neyland hired him.

Bud Ford could be another helpful resource

Reactions: 1 person

VR thanks for your insights, from a fellow dinosaur; would be interesting reading IMO.

Excerpt from "The Big Orange" . C. 1973 by Russ Bebb. Chapter 32, pg 173.

I've got that one as well but haven't got around to reading it yet.

I picked it up in perfect condition this past summer on the Hwy 127 Yard Sale for $1.00!

I like to read the Gilbert book every year just before the season starts.

I've got that one as well but haven't got around to reading it yet.

I picked it up in perfect condition this past summer on the Hwy 127 Yard Sale for $1.00!

I like to read the Gilbert book every year just before the season starts.

It's a good read. He did a follow up as well called "Vols, Three Decades of Big Orange Football" that picks up with Dickey's first season and goes through the Majors/Fulmer saga in 92.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks for this. Neyland is not the focus of the book, but he will appear in it. I will probably still try to get an interview. Thanks so much. This is not my first book; I'm certain it will be written.

This is exactly what I expected from the great Tennessee fan base. I wish you all the best and I can't thank you enough.

I think you just qualified Freak for a research grant for Volnation. He has probably already submitted the application.

VN Store

Back