The Simple Truth

thistime

No matter where you're at there you are.
This is not going to set well with most but this is where we are. Jones recruited well but did not get the people he needed to run his SYSTEM. Square pegs in round holes and it just did not work.

He as most here got all excited about stars behind recruits names since he was never able to go after that type player before. He sold his idea of TN to young men they bought it and he couldn't produce pure and simple. His system was flawed and would not work in the SEC with the talent he went after and he was unwilling to change.

Think about if we had Hurd running with a FB in front of him and Dodds running behind a line that was actually blocking somebody and not an area where we might have been. But the SYSTEM did not allow for that.

The defense for the SYSTEM was bend but not break. We will score TD's you score FG's. Really more of a after thought in the SYSTEM.

Ga Tech, all the military academies, Boise State and countless others have found a system that works well, they get the best they can for THAT system and give the big boys fits because most teams only see that system once or twice a year at the most.

In Jones system you needed OL that are smaller and faster that purely zone block, a big QB that can run AND throw, TE that can block first and catch everything that is close to them since short passes are a must, fast WR's to spread the field and are sure handed and quick fast running backs that are pass catchers out of the backfield. We never had ALL of that at the same time.

SO WHAT NOW ???? JUCO, Pruitt is going to change UT back to what we have always been a big strong aggressive team that runs the ball down your throat. passes short and mid range to keep you honest and burn you long when we can......sound familiar ? (ALA, CLEM, OSU, UT in the 90's)

We need some big MEN that don't have to get stronger and mature. We have had very poor success with the few exceptions with getting OL that can come from high school and play. Young men usually get handled by grown men and we see that a lot in the SEC.

Skill players we are in pretty fair shape as far as RB goes. TE, WR both need help, we need people who want to get after the ball and expect to catch everything that comes their way and not expect the perfect throw every time.

QB who knows, I think that is WIDE open with some of the skill sets needed in all three of the ones we have. Pocket passer (Dormandy), somewhat mobile (JG), tough (McBride) and the new guy ( Stroud) is a wild card.

On defense we were slow, weak and SOFT and that is the only way to put it. Soft coverage, slow LB's and WEAK DL.( you can't play patty cake and expect to stop anybody) Was that scheme or talent, who knows. I hope it was scheme but I really think it is a little of both.

I think that is about to change big time. Pruitt has worked in a defense that has big DL and BIG fast LB's and DB's that are in your grill all the time and I expect that is what we will be just like we were in the 90's.

What this all tells me is we are getting back to who we have really always been.....A TOUGH HARD NOSED TEAM. That is who we are on the hill and the flashy stuff has run its course. The tough part is playing for titles WILL TAKE TIME. The biggest reason is the big uglies, we just don't have them on either side of the ball.

I think in year one 7-5 maybe 8-4 if we get help from JUCO lineman. Year two 8-4, 9-3 then after that we should be good to go for bigger and better. I believe this staff really does have an idea of what they want and need to be successful and we as fans just have to be patient and see what they put on the field.

I think we may all be happy in the end......thistime.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Reactions: 21 people
a6hN8NH.gif

Reactions: 6 people
The origianl content in this thread is astounding.

Why would what most people already know not sit well with most?

Who is Dodds?

Reactions: 4 people
Some folks might not have to attention span to read it all the way through or will stop reading after seeing Dobbs misspelled. That said, good thread OP. You were right about the system Jones tried to instill. It was a disaster and Jones couldn't seem to figure out which players to recruit, nor did he have the ability to develop said players and retain a good foundation for the next coach. It will take time to get this team strong again. We'll need to recruit a different type of player (bigger players mostly). Pruitt is on the right track with the JUCO OLmen and bigger RBs/TEs/LBs. I think you're right and we'll see more that hard-nosed football that we all know and love from the 90s. Hopefully the days are over of us seeing our guys giving a yard cushion every time a snap is made.

Reactions: 1 person
This is not going to set well with most but this is where we are. Jones recruited well but did not get the people he needed to run his SYSTEM. Square pegs in round holes and it just did not work.

He as most here got all excited about stars behind recruits names since he was never able to go after that type player before. He sold his idea of TN to young men they bought it and he couldn't produce pure and simple. His system was flawed and would not work in the SEC with the talent he went after and he was unwilling to change.

Think about if we had Hurd running with a FB in front of him and Dodds running behind a line that was actually blocking somebody and not an area where we might have been. But the SYSTEM did not allow for that.

The defense for the SYSTEM was bend but not break. We will score TD's you score FG's. Really more of a after thought in the SYSTEM.

Ga Tech, all the military academies, Boise State and countless others have found a system that works well, they get the best they can for THAT system and give the big boys fits because most teams only see that system once or twice a year at the most.

In Jones system you needed OL that are smaller and faster that purely zone block, a big QB that can run AND throw, TE that can block first and catch everything that is close to them since short passes are a must, fast WR's to spread the field and are sure handed and quick fast running backs that are pass catchers out of the backfield. We never had ALL of that at the same time.

SO WHAT NOW ???? JUCO, Pruitt is going to change UT back to what we have always been a big strong aggressive team that runs the ball down your throat. passes short and mid range to keep you honest and burn you long when we can......sound familiar ? (ALA, CLEM, OSU, UT in the 90's)

We need some big MEN that don't have to get stronger and mature. We have had very poor success with the few exceptions with getting OL that can come from high school and play. Young men usually get handled by grown men and we see that a lot in the SEC.

Skill players we are in pretty fair shape as far as RB goes. TE, WR both need help, we need people who want to get after the ball and expect to catch everything that comes their way and not expect the perfect throw every time.

QB who knows, I think that is WIDE open with some of the skill sets needed in all three of the ones we have. Pocket passer (Dormandy), somewhat mobile (JG), tough (McBride) and the new guy ( Stroud) is a wild card.

On defense we were slow, weak and SOFT and that is the only way to put it. Soft coverage, slow LB's and WEAK DL.( you can't play patty cake and expect to stop anybody) Was that scheme or talent, who knows. I hope it was scheme but I really think it is a little of both.

I think that is about to change big time. Pruitt has worked in a defense that has big DL and BIG fast LB's and DB's that are in your grill all the time and I expect that is what we will be just like we were in the 90's.

What this all tells me is we are getting back to who we have really always been.....A TOUGH HARD NOSED TEAM. That is who we are on the hill and the flashy stuff has run its course. The tough part is playing for titles WILL TAKE TIME. The biggest reason is the big uglies, we just don't have them on either side of the ball.

I think in year one 7-5 maybe 8-4 if we get help from JUCO lineman. Year two 8-4, 9-3 then after that we should be good to go for bigger and better. I believe this staff really does have an idea of what they want and need to be successful and we as fans just have to be patient and see what they put on the field.

I think we may all be happy in the end......thistime.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The 90's are dead man. OSU, Bama, Clemson, OU, etc run spreads. The reasoning is simple, create running lanes between the tackles by attacking the entire 52.5 yards. In the case of Barn and Bama, they run physically from the spread. OSU won with Zeke doing the same. As for defense I'm a 4-3 proponent, buts that's just me. I agree our defense was more reactive the proactive, but I like getting after people with a 4 man rush. We're we really lack on that side of the ball is CB. Modern offenses put tons of stress on corners and we haven't had but 2 good ones in 15 years. In summary, let's be physical, but let's not revert to what got us here in the first place (Fulmer's inability to keep up with the game). Anyway, Go Vols Merry Christmas!!

Reactions: 3 people
Also, just want to point out that statistaclly last year's offense was one of the best in school history. It wasn't till we tried going under center and try to play power run that we became inept. Let's get away from that and bring back the single wing right!

Reactions: 2 people
Pruitt, Probst, Sheerer, etc.. all coached at Hoover in Birmingham. Remember that MTV show? I can't think of the name off the top of my head. My point is we hired a highschool staff from AL so...

"Two a days" but that is dumb... Sherrer hasn't coached at Hoover in 8 years. Pruitt is the DC at Alabama and has been the DC for both Georgia and FSU... To my knowledge, Probst hasn't been offered an on-field role and won't likely be coming here anyway.

Is Gus Malzahn still a HS coach from Arkansas just because that's what he did 12 years ago? Dumb logic.

Reactions: 5 people
"Two a days" but that is dumb... Sherrer hasn't coached at Hoover in 8 years. Pruitt is the DC at Alabama and has been the DC for both Georgia and FSU... To my knowledge, Probst hasn't been offered an on-field role and won't likely be coming here anyway.

Is Gus Malzahn still a HS coach from Arkansas just because that's what he did 12 years ago? Dumb logic.
Gus aye? That is a solid counter sir. Just want to point out he was a HC before going back to Barn. He was a HC at his highschool too correct?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back